OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Premier Light Tactical, first impressions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Premier Light Tactical, first impressions
    Posted: September/22/2011 at 16:41
This isn't a formal review, just first impressions.

UPS didn't deliver it to the wrong house, so things have started out pretty well.

I bought one of the first Premier Heritage 3-15s and have been a fan all along.  There have been a few darker days for Premier since the initial launch, but my particular scope has never had a hiccup.

Today I received the Premier Light Tactical, here are the specs:

Reticle: Gen2XR
Turret: 2 revolution, CCW

I am comparing it to the original Heritage, gen2 mil dot, with single turn turret.

1.  The LT is a 30mm tube, compared to the original's 34mm tube.  The LT is appreciably lighter but still feels very solid.
2.  Glass on both is fantastic, very bright, very clear edge-to-edge, not enough chromatic aberration to mention.
3.  The Gen2RX at 3X is very difficult to see, especially against a dark background. By 5X or 6X, it stands out plenty clear.
4.  The clicks on the new 2-revolution turret are very audible, very tactile, and much better spaced than my single-turn Heritage.
5.  Each turret, elevation and windage, has a small window giving some vital information ("1" or "2", referring to turn, on the elevation; "L" or "R", referring to change in bullet impact right or left, on the windage.) Unless the window clogs with field debris, it should relay the info intended quite well.
6.  The new turrets do not have the cam-locked, "easy-reset" feature of the Heritage, not sure how I feel about that.  I really liked the cam-lock system and used it allot moving from suppressed to unsuppressed zero.  The new turrets have gone back to the allen-head locking scheme.
7.  Markings on the parallax turret are nice, at least you know where you are on the scale - because there is a scale.
8.  The rubber bumper on the power ring is a nice touch, though wholly unnecessary, it is a good detail.  I have always appreciated that on my Swaros, nice to have now on Premier.
9.  Now that the quality of Butler Creek's caps has diminished, I am glad to see pop-on covers on my Premier.  I had heard rumors that so many didn't like them, they scrapped them.  Glad that ain't true.
10.  All in all, for a non-weapon-mounted first look, I really like the scope.  Time to mount it on a 300WM and see if it can handle the task at hand.

More to follow, with pictures for comparison.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - September/26/2011 at 10:22
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 16:56
Cool
My brother received one yesterday
Plan on doing some side by side comaprisons at the lease in a few weeks
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 20:35
RC, you & I always seem to be on the same plane of thought.I've had my LT,also in Gen 2 illum. since July & I think it's fantastic.

I just yesterday purchased the hunter in 7A illum.No $80 flip up covers on this puppy,but FYI Butler Creek are as follows Object: #40/ Eye: # 18.This one comes with a scope gray scope coat[hate them things all they do is put dust on the lens].

I will be very interested in your comparrison with the Hens,I already have done my side by side with my Zeiss FL & the outcome was to close to call.I'll say no more so as not to influence your side by side.

Please keep us abreast & a nice out line so far.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
ebow86 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ebow86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/22/2011 at 21:03
Looking forward to the pictures, thanks for the first impressions.
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2011 at 05:55
Interested to see how this review pans out, thanks for taking the time RC.
Rath
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/23/2011 at 07:59
Get Your Popcorn Ready
Anxiously waiting
Plange View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Plange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 07:52
Hi Rancid,
Just want to clear up a few things, I hope you don't mind:

-Our original Tactical scope has a 34mm diameter tube, not 35mm.
-We had to save money somewhere and the dials seemed a pretty logical place to start, that is why no tooless rezero function, nor the size and weight of the large tactical dial.

For Stickbow,
You can add these covers to your hunter scope. We have a retrofit kit that comprises new objective and ocular finish rings and then the covers. If you are interested, give me a shout and I can tell you the what and hows to remove the old finish rings and install the new rings and covers.
Thanks,
Paul

Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/26/2011 at 10:21
Paul,

Sorry for the type-o regarding the tube diameter, it is indeed 34mm.

As for the turrets, as said, I have yet to level judgement.  I like the cam locks, but also like the "light" component of the LT.  I appreciate that something had to go, and am thus far impressed with the results.

Pictures and range assessment coming shortly.

Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/02/2011 at 18:39
any update on thisBig Grin
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 01:46
I am glad to see that the LT is making it out into the field.

I have played with two of these to date and for any application that can live with 12 mils of available adjustment after sighting in for my money I would pick this scope over just about anything else out there.  

ILya
Rath View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 06:46
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I have played with two of these to date and for any application that can live with 12 mils of available adjustment after sighting in for my money I would pick this scope over just about anything else out there.  

ILya

Over the March?

Thanks
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 08:03
Sorry for the delay, got a little trigger time this weekend, here are a few pics before going out.

They are, left to right, Premier heritage 3-15, Premier LT 3-15, and Hensoldt 4-16.

First, filed impression of the LT compared to the Heritage:

1.  LT needs a hair more resistance in the turret-spinning.  I found dope changes were quick and easy, but a little too easy.  As this is a hunting rifle (and I know some don't like target turrets on a hunting rifle - but I do, I dope my shots), I'll need to address how to keep them immobilized while it's slung.

2.  LT glass is pristine.  No issues with edge-to-edge clarity, glass is nice and bright.

3.  I foolishly opted for Gen 2XR without illumination, swing and a miss!  I thought, since it is a hunting rifle, I'll be OK without illumination.  I ain't.  Below about 6X, in low light, the reticle is too thin to see - and therefore use.  In low, low light, this cannot be the go-to scope.  Illumination would have fixed that problem.  Hindsight 20/20 and all.

4.  Adjustments are dead nuts, no discernible variation rolling it out to 8 mils.  Again, hunting rifle, no need for 1200 yard shot.

5.  Having humped the Heritage (on a very heavy gun) many, many miles, I am a fan of the weight of the LT, very nice balance of weight-to-sturdiness.

On the Hensoldt 4-16, one quick observation:  glass is typical, eye-box is great, but the 4-16 isn't quite what the 3-12 is.  The entirety of it is difficult to explain, but there is no denying that the 3-12 is almost unbelievably good, the 4-16 is great, but not as great.  Eye box is slightly more cramped (though head and shoulders above most other optics), and image just isn't the same.

For clarity (and fairness): the 4-16 only pales (slightly) when compared side-by-side with the 3-12.  When compared with anything else, it shines like the sun.

Comparing the Henny and the LT, glass was really, really close, but sight picture was much easier to get on the Henny (and it damn well should be, at more than 150% of the LT price.)

Off to kill piggies this weekend, Henny and LT will be called upon to perform specific functions, I'll report back how they do.

Edited by Rancid Coolaid - October/03/2011 at 08:07
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 08:16
Nice quick reviews, thanks
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 09:45
Originally posted by Rath Rath wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

ILya

Over the March?

Thanks

For the money? Yes (illuminated versions)

ILya
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 09:59
I've got one on the way and am glad it has the Gen II mil-dot reticle. Because it's also a non-illuminated model. I've just never used illumination and certainly can't/won't on a hunting rifle. Besides, the glass on these is so nice, it will work in any legal hunting situation I've ever seen around here.

Even @ sea level, shooting out to a 1000 would be no problem with the .308 load I'm shooting. So the 12 mils up from the zero stop are plenty for me. The absence of tool-less zero doesn't matter to me since it's not something I need. (In fact, I'm not bothered one bit by the lack of zero stop on the SS 5-20. It's only needed on scopes like the NF 2.5-10X32 where they "forgot" to design in a turn indicator). The weight savings over the PH 3-15 are a plus (or should I say minus?).
Reaction time is a factor...
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 17:39
So the hunter is 30mm tube diameter and the LT is 34mm?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/03/2011 at 17:44
Originally posted by Idaho Scot Idaho Scot wrote:

So the hunter is 30mm tube diameter and the LT is 34mm?

Both Hunter and Light Tactical are 30mm.

Premier Heritage Tactical is 34mm.
Idaho Scot View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Idaho Scot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 00:34
RC,

Any more updates on the LT?  A year down the road, how are things still working and any new or different opinions?

Idaho Scot
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 08:45
Still running great for me. I really appreciate the weight vs. comparable scopes too.
Reaction time is a factor...
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/29/2012 at 09:20
Nice Job Rancid. It was a good read.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic