OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Think this will work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Think this will work?
    Posted: October/05/2011 at 16:53
I got tired of not having a good bore guide for my rifle. The one I did have allowed the Jag to pass through it. I figured, if the hole is big enough for the jag to go through it, it wasn't really doing me any good. So a took a piece of acetyl (delrin) and the measurements of my fired case, and made my own bore guide cut to my chamber measurements -.002". I drilled it with a 7/32" drill. Thats .018" clearance for my rod to go through. I hit the back with a 1/2" centerdrill. What do you think?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 16:56
You may have something there Jason, pretty neat idea!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 18:08
I'm impressed with your machining and custom-fitting it to your chamber. The only concern I'd have is that large 1/2" hole in back might still allow the rod to flex. I use a Lucas bore guide and a jag will fit in it, but there's the inner sleeve as well that helps keep the rod centered. Also, o-rings in two places along the chamber section do a reasonable job of keeping solvents in the barrel. What I can't understand with the Lucas is the solvent port. It doesn't work for me. I just put solvents down the muzzle anyway. When I clean, which isn't that often, I use a generous amount to help flush the barrel.
Reaction time is a factor...
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 19:18
Ahh. The 1/2" hole in the back.  I'm hoping it won't affect anything. It's a 60 degree taper down to the actual hole size. It only goes in about 1/2", and then measures .218 for 5" through the rest of the part. any flexing would have to take place in the ejection port area. If I ever clean my rifle again, I'll see if it works I guess. After Brandon worked it over, I've only run a cleaning rod down it once to see what I got out of it. And it wasn't much. I've got about 100 rounds through it since then.........and it just doesn't foul anymore. Still shooting amazing groups.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 21:05
I looked at/read it wrong. Now I see what you meant. That will work great.
Reaction time is a factor...
billyburl2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 21:40
Looks really good! I want one...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/05/2011 at 22:20
Well, I can make any caliber with a case under .75" case head. I don't know what you want to pay for such an item, but it shouldn't be too bad. I haven't ordered any delrin lately, but will check prices. Feel free to pm me if you want one. Let me know caliber, and what size hole you want in it.

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 06:51
Can you make bullets also. 

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 07:09
You'd think anyone who could make something like that could make up a whole bunch of really neat bullets... maybe call 'em "bulldozers" or something like that...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 07:09
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Can you make bullets also. 

Mouth Taped Shut
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 07:14
I've got this really nifty, whizbang chronograph arriving today.  Too bad I don't have much in the way of new bullets to test with it...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 07:24

Kickboxer and Bigdaddy - Baseball BatBaseball Bat

Trigger - Crutch
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 07:51

trigger29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 10:25
Patients grasshopper.... I'm working on it. I have less time in this bore guide, including programming, than I'd have in 1 bulldozer. I'd tell you to test some of the .338's I sent Brandon, but he probably blew his whole wad in 5 min. After getting them.

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 11:25

Might wanta watch those grasshoppers,t.     Bucky
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
338LAPUASLAP View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Scope Swapper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 338LAPUASLAP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 11:56
Wink I was pm Ing this one guy about some of them bullets in question and somehows it never worked out.

Edited by 338LAPUASLAP - October/06/2011 at 13:52
No one
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 12:04
Interesting, I could use 2 or 3 of those. How strong is the material that you made it out of? Is it strong enough to stay intact if you have to drag a stuck patch bact through it if the thickness of mouth is slightly thicker than a brass case mouth?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 12:11
THINK fellars. If he can make a bunch of bore guides and sell them, he might be able to finance a new bullit...........................................maybe call them Bulldozers.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 12:19
I would probably be interested in a couple of those as well. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/06/2011 at 12:21
I can injection mold them for him. could have a mold of 2 to 4 sizes here in a week and 5,000 of each size by the time the sun rise's the next day.

PM if intersted.
\
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic