OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

8X42 or 10X42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 8X42 or 10X42
    Posted: October/21/2011 at 01:08
Folks, I need some help with deciding which power to go with.  I need to purchase some good binos for an Elk hunt.  I've looked at both 10x and 8x binos, but haven't been able to take them out of the store to really compair.  My eye sight is not the best and I do wear glasses.  I have noticed though the 8x give a wider field of view.  Can someone give me advice, and point out a a good pair for around $500.  Please no Chinese optics.  I know it might be all but impossible to get some good binos at that price without being made in China.
alexbino View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexbino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 05:30

Hi Kyblev,

If you have myopia you look through the binoculars with glasses or without glasses?

I recommend -

Nikon Monarch 8.5x56 DCF- warm image, very sharp field, there is middle chromatic aberration on edge. Made in China.

Minox HG 8.5x52 BR ASPH- natural image, very sharp field, there is middle chromatic aberration on edge. Made in Japan.

bird_hunter66 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bird_hunter66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 07:15
+1 for the 8x binoculars
D. Holmes
FrankD View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 07:29
Elk hunting?

I wish I could help but I have no experience with it. Deer yes, but Elk, no.

I am assuming you are hunting somewhere out west? If so then the 10x may be a better choice if you are glassing longer distances. Personally I prefer 8x for the wider field of view, larger exit pupil and better depth of field but I rarely am glassing at the distances that hunters out west do.

As for the recommendations...I defer to others. I only have two binoculars that aren't Chinese and are in that price range. The one is the Nikon SE 8x32 and it is not waterproof (not sure if that matters) plus the regular price is usually around $570 with the 10x42 being closer to $700. The other is the little Sightron 8x32. A wonderful binocular with optical performance easily 3 or 4 times its advertised price but since it is a smaller objective size I am not sure if it would meet your requirements. It is made in the Phillipines.

Hmm, I guess I do have three. I also have the Opticron 8x42 internal focus porro. Excellent overall optical peformance in just about every area. The only thing it is lacking in is field of view. It is the typical 330-something feet which had been average for many years. With the introduction of so many new models in recent years that 330 feet is a bit on the narrow side now. It is made in Japan.

Edited by FrankD - October/21/2011 at 07:30
Frank
Claus View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 08:04
Stay away from 10x magnification unless you have an unusually steady hand or allways carry around a tripod. 
I have had both 8 and 10 and i'm back to 8 again caused above and fov. 
Now, there's a lot of good binos on the market. Im very happy with my Zeiss Conquest, i know they are more than the 500$ you want to spend but they are certainly worth it. Maybe you can find a used one for a price that fits the budget. 
What i like about the Zeiss Conquest is that it is not to heavy -  it's not to big - very handy - has great glass,  and when you use it at dusk + it is still very clear.

Savage 93 17.HMR. Tikka Tac A1 308 Blaser R8 6,5-55 / 30-06. Beretta Silver Pigeon. Comming up-TIKKATAC A1 22LR

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened
kyblev View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kyblev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 08:58
This information is very useful.  I have a Zeiss Conquest Scope.  By far the best purchase I've made on a rifle scope.  I will look at the brands mentioned.  I think I will stay in the 8X42 range.
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 10:58
I hunt out west where I glass long distances and lots of open spaces. Really, you're not gonna notice much difference in magnification going from 8x to 10x. I use 10x becuase I do glass the long distances and don't have any problem holding them steady. Then again, I hunt a lot from a 4-wheeler and don't hike a lot. Any sporting goods store out here will tell you that by and far, most hunters prefer 10x for big game hunting. Now, I'm saying that's a good thing or makes it right...just stating a fact regarding binoculars sales to hunters Cool.

Pretty difficult to find not made in China for under $500, but there probably are a few options:

First one that comes to mind is the Vortex Viper/Viper HD, can be had to close to $500 depending on model and magnification. Made in Japan
Weaver Super Slam can be had for around $650-$725 - Made in Japan
Bushnell Elite (newer elite, not old open bridge) - Made in Japan, newer ones are around $500
Pentax DCF-SP Made in Japan and can be had for around $500 - $600
The new Steiner Predator Xtreme - 10x for $499 and 8x for $399--I've seen resources online, including quotes from Steiner reps saying these are German binos...However, I wouldn't be surprised if parts come from China and are assembled in Germany, but no way to verify that. However, these are the updated version of the C5, which still sells for a couple hundred dollars more...for an older model with not as advanced coatings Whacko.
Meopta Meopro Binos - $500 and I believe are made in USA?

Hope that gives you a few more to consider
motts View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote motts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 11:01
I think you'd be wize to probably stay with 8x because you don't lose much in detail , but you gain ability to hold the binos steady easier, brighter image, wider field of view, and more often than not, cheaper in price for same model in 10x, which may help you in keeping your $500 budget.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 13:05
I elk hunt every year and scout for elk and deer a lot and I have tried a few different mag ranges.  10x is the best choice IMO for out west hunting.  Lots of times I find myself viewing from long distances and the extra mag definitely helps.  There is no way I would trade my 10x for 8x.

I don't have a problem holding 10x steady either.  My dad uses Meopta 12x and he loves them, he has no steady issues either.  I think that is more of an issue with up close viewing or something because I have never seen it as an issue with the way I use my binos. 

Elk move a lot and in a hurry and for very long distances.  When they are spooked they will run miles and miles before they stop.  So having higher powered binos is a plus in my book. It is nice to be able to make them out from far off to help you decide if you want to chase them or not. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 13:24
I have "hunted out West" my entire life and have found that, generally speaking, the "special considerations" given optics in regards to hunting "the West" are largely merit-less.  I have run the gamut between 6x and 10x binoculars.  I like them all.  That said, for most purposes I believe that 8x is the best choice for a person who is only going to own one binocular for the following reasons:
  • 10x binoculars, especially within your stated budget, are more difficult to build properly than the lower powers. You really have to hope for a cherry model and if you don't get one, you're instantly handicapped. 
  • 10x binoculars are not really harder to hold steady (at least not for me) under "normal" circumstances.  This changes dramatically, however, when I have exerted myself hiking with a heavy load or trying to run to the top of a ridge at 10,000+ ft elevation.  Then the difference can be extreme and it seems to only get worse as I age. 
  • I have never had anyone see anything at 10x that I couldn't see equally well through a quality 8x.  I have, however, found animals that my compatriots missed thanks to the wider field of view offered by the 8x. 10x glass in the price range you are trying to fit within tends to have very narrow fields of view.  A wide FoV is far more important "out West" than any small jump in magnification.
It's true that 10x binoculars are the most popular.  This is mostly because, contrary to popular belief, most hunters are totally ignorant about their optics (and other gear) and just buy whatever the guys in the magazines and on TV tell them to buy. (Supertool73 I exempt from this statement as I know him to be quite knowledgeable.  We just differ in our opinions; which is totally fair.)

With all that said, the most important thing is that you buy the very best binocular you can afford, whatever the magnification.  Elk are big animals and yet, you will be amazed at how quickly and easily they disappear when just moments before they were standing in plain view and seemed to have nowhere to go.  Quality glass is key.  High magnification glass.... well, not so much.

Edited by lucznik - October/21/2011 at 13:28
What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 14:04
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I elk hunt every year and scout for elk and deer a lot and I have tried a few different mag ranges.  10x is the best choice IMO for out west hunting.  Lots of times I find myself viewing from long distances and the extra mag definitely helps.  There is no way I would trade my 10x for 8x.

I don't have a problem holding 10x steady either.  My dad uses Meopta 12x and he loves them, he has no steady issues either.  I think that is more of an issue with up close viewing or something because I have never seen it as an issue with the way I use my binos. 

Elk move a lot and in a hurry and for very long distances.  When they are spooked they will run miles and miles before they stop.  So having higher powered binos is a plus in my book. It is nice to be able to make them out from far off to help you decide if you want to chase them or not. 

+10

10x is what most of us use in our deer club including myself, two use 12x. 8X is nice, 10x is better out west.

“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 14:44
I've been using 10x for 39 years.  I see no need to switch, and I'll take a 10x42 over a 8x42 every time.  
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 15:09
pick your medicine if they are going to be used for more long distance viewing 10x has the advantage. if going to be used in a more general application 8x is more versatile. and if you need something for the closer distances the 6.5x works great,like in the deep woods and fields of Michigan. imo Kevin
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 15:17
Kevin, those Vortex 6x's are sweeet!! Thunbs Up
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 15:24
Well, since this has so many differing opinions, I might as well add mine.  I'm an 8x guy, but I have 10x binoculars too.  Since you are going to go with a spotter as part of your optics setup, I go with the 8x glass first in binoculars.

I see no particular merit to the old, often repeated "for hunting out west" either.  That is where I hunt and have hunted all my life and never yet have been where I really found 8x lacking...in terms of a single general purpose binocular.  Heat mirage can ruin your day with a 10x, whereas a 7-8x will still work, somewhat anyway.  Truth be told you will likely wind up with both, but I'd go 8x first.

What you are seeing here is that the magnification preferences for sporting optics are pretty well "individual likes" dependent.  I would never try and convince a satisfied 10x user to switch.  The 8x or 10x is a question is one only you can answer for yourself.  I have more binoculars than I can ever likely justify having and still manage some way to use them all, from 6x-10x.  I find that if I really need more than I can get from 8x, then I have to go at least 15-20x to do much.

Edited by Klamath - October/21/2011 at 15:25
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/21/2011 at 16:46
I am another satisfied 10x user. I have used 8X and 10X many times and always seem to come back to the 10X. I also happen to be a Western hunter that has particular liking for elk hunting. Like others have already posted, I also have no trouble holding them steady (with the exception of mounted horseback glassing). I much prefer 10X for tripod mounted binocular glassing, which I do often. I certainly notice extra detail with the higher magnification.
-Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic