OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Diamondback 7x36 or 9x36

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diamondback 7x36 or 9x36
    Posted: October/21/2011 at 17:00
Hi All,
Looking closely at the Vortex Diamondback range and the 7x36 and 9x36 in particluar. Would like to go with a more compact bino but hesitant about reduced light transmission so looking a t the 36's as a compromise.
Main use would be deer stalking in fairly thick steep terrain, I tend not to hunt the very first and last night that often but likewise would sledom be in bright light due to the terrain. Unfortunately no stores around here stock the Vortex brand so I can't compare side by side. Would the 7x's give me better contrast and sharper vision by letting in more light relatively speaking and be more of an advantage over the stronger mag of the 9x's?
Appreciate your thoughts.
Cheers,
Waldo

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 16:45
Welcome to OT.

I had a Diamondback 7x36 for a while.  I have never seen a 9x36 so I can't really give you a direct answer there.  The Diamondbacks are a pretty good, reasonably compact binocular, but they are quite a bit bigger than most 32mm size compacts.

On the other hand, the Zen Ray ZRS HD in 42 mm is a very compact binocular, being almost the same size as the x36 Diamondback.  Mine (8x42) was a noticeably brighter and sharper than the 7x36 Diamondback.  However what hassles you might get in getting one to Australia, I have no idea.  The ZRS is pretty much one of my standard recommendations in a full size glass that does not cost an arm and a leg, they sell for about $210 US here.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Waldo View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/24/2011 at 03:18
Thanks Steve,  I'll look into the Zen Ray's. What ever I end up buying fair chance I will get them from the USA anyway. Optics are just way too expensive over here (Aus) and have previous purchased a few scopes from the states for that reason.
Cheers,
Waldo
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic