OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

more than 100 MOA elevation?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: more than 100 MOA elevation?
    Posted: October/21/2011 at 23:37
Looking for something with some serious elevation ... going to put this on a 2000 plus yard rig.  Pretty much narrowed it down to a Nightforce NXS or a Sightron SIII.  Haven't really found anything else that offers 100 MOA or more of elevation.  Looking for Mil based setup and SFP.  Would prefer an AO rather than side focus.  Even If I zero at 600 yards to get to 2500 ill need 103 MOA.  With a 40 MOA base a scope with 100 MOA might still not get it.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Sapper524 - October/21/2011 at 23:52
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 09:09
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/23/2011 at 12:51
The fixed power Sightron SIII have 150 MOA.
Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope Sightron 16x42 SIII 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SIII16X42MMD
  • Matte
  • Modified Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • Target Knobs
$549.95
While I dont see it listed on here the U.S. Optics  ST22 is a fixed power scope designed for target engagement at 2000+ yds. and the SN9 design is a FFP high magnification variable  3.8 to 22 riflescope with extensive elevation travel for ultra long distance precision shooting. This system uses external elevation and windage turrets that yield up to 235 total MOA travel(elevation only). The SN-9 retains perfect lens alignment throughout the elevation travel range, this allows for the best resolution over the entire adjustment range. Primarily used in 1700+ yard plus applications. The SN9 also comes in a 10 to 42 power range with 120 MOA elevation adjustment.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/25/2011 at 19:52
Good call on the ST22 ... mounting options for that one are also a lot easier.  Mounting the SN9 might cause problems as the 338 platform would need some serious work, the 50 wouldn't though. 

The fixed 20x Sightron is also on my radar, 150 moa of travel, fixed scopes take a beating the recoil these big bores will be putting out.

Haven't had a chance to look through a Vortex Razor or PST to check out the reticle but have decided to stay away from side focus ...

I had a SS 5-20 and sold it, nice scope but I have become pretty much stuck on AO scopes...

Thanks for the suggestions, the fixed powers are growing on me, my fixed SS 10x HD is one of my favorite scopes.

Keep the ideas coming
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2011 at 15:22
So I got to look through a Sightron 6-24 the other day and the mildot reticle is HUGE ... Im used to the 10x mildots and was really amazed how big it was.  That really turned me off to Sightron.  Are the MOA reticles they have that "large"?  It wasn't that the reticle was to heavy or thick but the dots had to be like 6 MOA at least.   Looking for feedback on the MOA models if anyone has one.  With a reticle that big might as well use my SN3 3.8-22 .... 
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/28/2011 at 20:32
The second focal plane high power scopes all look like someone super sized the reticle because the dots are one mil apart at the max power of the scope. 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic