OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weatherby Vangaurd 300 wby mag recoil solution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 07:10
I have a kick eez on my 300 win mag and you can NOT feel it kick at all. LOVE those recoil pads. I also have a buddy of mine that has one a 338 L mag and the kick is nice and tame.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 12:50

That's GOOD to hear!  Been considering a change for the past couple seasons.  Another job for Bd.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 15:11
I have the Kick Eez on my Remington 700 SPS factory stocked 300 Win Mag.  The fit is terrible, but I think it is the cheap factory stock that is responsible for that.  It really tamed down the felt recoil though and covered with an ammo pouch/cheek pad the bad fit was covered.  I now have a B&C stock for it now though.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 18:11
How do you like that B&C stock? I was thinking of them or a A5 for my Sendero sometime next year...which means I'll have to sell the H-S...
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

GetSome View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GetSome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/05/2011 at 20:52
I actually haven't mounted the rifle in it yet, hope to do that next weekend.  The finish isn't bad, and it will look pretty silly for a while since the barrel channel is cut for a #3 and I'm going to run the factory sporter for a while.  Koshkin and 338 LapuaSlap seem pretty happy with their B&C stocks though, and that is why I decided to go with one.  Picked mine up at stocky's , just couldn't justify a Manners or McMillan at this point, even though the budget rifle thing has kinda been thrown out the window.  Here is a semi recent thread about B&C's http://www.opticstalk.com/stocks-bc-anyone-have-any-issues_topic29548.html.

Edited by GetSome - November/05/2011 at 21:00
TSewell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 06:36
I am either going to be ordering the Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A2 Style or a nice wooden stock. I do some range shooting and some fun freind/familly competion but mainly hunting. I went out and shot the rifle yesterday and im not sure that i was doing wrong the first time i shot it but the kick isnt really that bad. I mean it still pushes you back but its sharp. At 100 yards i did shoot a 1" group with 180gr spitzer rounds so i am pretty please with that. We put up 3 1gal antifreez jugs up at 500 yards filled with red dyed water and busted all 3 with only 3 rounds. This rifle is dead on and i am verry pleased with its acuracy.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 07:12

After reading that you had a .300 Winchester Mag I got to wondering why you found the Vanguard objectionable.  I was shooting the one my friend had at the same time I was sighting mine in (7 1/2lbs and 180's at 3160).  Mine has a Brown Precision stock that reduces felt recoil well even with it's 30yr old recoil pad.  His Vanguard didn't feel to bad to me.  It was controlable but as you say it gives you a sharp kick where as my BP reduces that sharpness.  What scope you running?
TSewell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 13:45
I got a really good deal on this rifle. I was also looking for another large caliber rifle and heard alot of good things about the 300wby mag round. Now weather or not the rifle is up to some people standards is not my concern,everyone has a opinion about everything. And it came with a Leupold Vari X 2 3x9 40mm. My 300win mag has a leupold vari X 3 3.5x10 50mm. I in no way find this rifle objectionable compared to my 300 win. I find they both have there pros and cons. Sorry if i was missleading.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 14:11

My fault.  I should have said "...I got to wondering why you found the RECOIL objectionable".

Heck,I was using a Howa (S&W) before most guys knew what they were.  Got it in '83 and for 25+yrs it and a $200 used Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 AO scope was the only combo I hunted with (only had one other rifle I got for a future project but never even shot it).  Howa's are FINE rifles and actions.  I've been seeing some pics of some very nice custom rifles built on them for a while now. 
TSewell View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TSewell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 16:23
I found the recoil worse because my 300 win mag is a wooden stock and a nice thick kick eez recoil pad on that i was told was reshaped for my butt stock and originally was for a 10ga goose gun. So all that combined my mauser 30-06 kicks harder than my win 300 mag. I can shoot my 300 win mag all day and never notice. I have put 9 rounds threw my 300 wby mag yesterday and have a nice bruise today. LOL. I know i sound like a pansy and im 6'3" 240lbs.
yukoncornelius View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yukoncornelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 21:45
Hmmm, interesting, I've got the .300 wby mag, the .340 wby mag, and the .375 H&H wby action rifle and I'm only 6'4" 220lbs, and have shot boxes of rounds from the bench (my bench setup consists of a harris bipod, factory or handload loads and perhaps a sandbag for the rear stock rest).

I don't have recoil issues with these guns, but with my .458 Win Mag Winchester Model 77 Safari grade, I've been brutalized, so I can (and have) felt your pain.

Perhaps you aren't properly seating the rifle to your shoulder or the gun isn't a good fit for you? 

I think I'd rather argue that the gun/person fit isn't right vs. the caliber/gun combo isn't right, but I'm open to suggestions ...

coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2011 at 12:16
A friend of mine had the recoil problem with a 300 rum he has. Without going to real recoil reduction (a brake), he went to felt recoil reduction, a kick eeze, and a shoulder padded shirt with some kind of insert in it. "Recoil problem solved", in his words.

Another friend is quite sensitive, and actualy puts a slip on pad over his stock which has a good pad. He seems to be quite happy with it for 2 reasons first is the felt recoil, and he likes the way it fits without heavy jackets, and is fine with it without the slip on, when it gets cold, and he's layered up. I think the LOP was to short for him to begin with, but hey whatever works.
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/12/2011 at 15:26
i love my .300wby, its a sweet rifle. ive got mine in a wood stock. i could shoot mine all day with full house loads no problem. im very recoil sensitive, and i find that rifle very comfortable to use. i havent touched anything on mine.
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Valhalla34 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valhalla34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 15:51
Vais muzzle break.  I put that on my Wthby Sub MOA and my Rem 30-06 bolt.  Best muzzle break I've seen.  I never use to like muzzle breaks until I used the Vais.  Lets pressure out front along with sides so cuts down on noise more so than other breaks and really takes the kick out.  Gunsmith gave me a threaded protector cap so I can take it out if I want at the range so people don't complain about concussion or noise as much.  These take the felt kick down much more than any recoil pad I've used. 
Valhalla34 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Valhalla34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 15:53
Sorry, Muzzle brake not "break"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/07/2015 at 11:40
I have seen bunches of Vanguards in 300 Wby for sale reasonable.....but, it would need a 1.40 inch Kick-Eez pad immediately, then it has a 24 inch barrel....then the ammo is Freakin' expensive.....

.....( I then start fantasizing about re-barreling to 300 H&H   Whatever----and then I start fantasizing about actually finding ammunition for it....) 

......and then I go home and start fantasizing about Jennifer Aniston.....  
Visit the Ed Show
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 13:03

Apparently, this rifle has been inflicting pain for the last, almost, 47 months.

No problem, just find some big trophy sized game animal and the level of excitement experienced will delete any perceived pain.

Not having even handled a Wby Vanguard I viewed it online on a dealers on-line site. It has a 24 inch long barrel and what appears to be a 1 inch pad. Weatherby has been making stocks for many years so logically it could be assumed the stock design would mitigate recoil.

A muzzle brake would fit nicely on the 24 inch barrel making it grow from 24 inches to 26. Upon touching off some 80 grains of powder the blast would be sort of painful requiring real good hearing protection.

If I ever was given a .300 Wby Vanguard I would re-barrel it to a .338 Edge or .338 Ultra mag with the heaviest barrel that would fit inside the stock and shoot 300 grain bulletsYippee. Heavy recoil means seeing black spots or stars.

Edited by Stevey Ducks - October/08/2015 at 13:11
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 15:20
I have a 12 pound 300WM with a 3 pound scope and a suppressor at the end of the 24" bull barrel, it kicks like a 223.

I had a 7-pound 300WM.  It kicked like a 3-legged ninja.

"Have" vs "had": important distinctions.

Then again, I ain't humping this gun up and down mountains.
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
urbaneruralite View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote urbaneruralite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 20:12
The best way to tame the recoil on a .300 magnum sporter is to swap it for a .260 Rem. The bullets fly the same. On target results are similar.

If you're hunting deer, the results are similar because holding away from the meat with the .300 and holding tighter in with the .260 gives equivalent results. The only thing the .300 really does better is bad shots on big bucks. Having to let one go because of passing up those shots for the sake of the .260 is infrequent. It is about as frequent as having one slip by because it took too long to get your ear plugs in before firing the muzzle braked .300 mag.

I suppose the .300 is preferable for the bigger stuff, but its not like a .260 won't kill an elk. Awful lot of people lugging around 10# .300s when they could have a trim little 7# .260 with the same results. Anyhow, that's my contribution to this necro-thread. Howdy
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October/08/2015 at 23:32
I have a 6.5X55, but I would take a 300 magnum elk hunting.  I would just feel better.   
Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic