OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Focusing a SWFA SS 3-9x42

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focusing a SWFA SS 3-9x42
    Posted: November/03/2011 at 21:56
I purchased a used SWFA SS 3-9x42 a few weeks ago and am having trouble with it being out of focus. At 50 yards, it seems way out of focus, at 100 yards, it's better, but it still seems slightly out of focus. It's hard to see bullet hones that I can see clearly with other scopes I have. It also looks blurry around the edges. Honestly, right now the glass in my Burris FFII's and Nikon Monarchs are light years better, and from what I've read it should be the other way around. So I'm thinking I must have it focused incorrectly.

To focus the ocular I held it up to the sky and adjusted the ocular until the reticle is was sharp. I kept taking my head away and looking at the reticle for only a second or so when trying to focus it. Is this the correct way? Is there any other way to focus it? This is what I've always done with my other scopes.

Also one other question that's a dumb question, if I adjust the ocular will it change the POI? I just wanted to see if I could adjust it in the field. I know that it's a dumb question, but in all honesty, I've always set them to be focused and then never messed with them again, so I've never had to worry about it.
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2011 at 22:09
I wish I could give you a better answer, but it sounds like you're doing the right thing to bring the reticle into focus. I'm wondering with it being used if there was some undisclosed reason the seller had for getting rid of it.
Reaction time is a factor...
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2011 at 22:09
Once  the retical is as sharp as it can be after you have adjusted it several times looking at the sky or a white wall lock the locking ring & you should not adjust it again.If you are trying  to focus with the ocular the scope will seem totally wacked out.
The glass on the 3-9 is very good,if you are having a problem focusing give SWFA a call  They are very knowledgable,patient & helpful.They stand behind their product 100%.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/03/2011 at 22:37
Thanks guys, that's kind of what I'm wondering. It was supposed to be barely used when I got it, but now I'm wondering if there was a reason he got rid of it. I'm kind of in a bind now though because hunting season starts in 2 weeks, and this was the scope I planned to use, so I may be stuck with keeping it for a while.

lumberjack149 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lumberjack149 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/04/2011 at 08:51

Best bet is call SWFA - Phone Number: (972) SCOPE-IT (726-7348)

Im going to take a shot in the dark to make sure this isnt your problem first tho on the glass looking "blurry"- Do you have the ARD (anti reflective device/honey comb looking thing) on the front of the scope by chance?
slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/06/2011 at 19:30
The first time I had it out I noticed this issue a tad, and I didn't have the ARD on. The second time where I thought this issue was a huge issue, I did have it on not even thinking about it. The sun was out, so I screwed on my sunshade, not even thinking about the ARD which I'd attached to the end of it so that I wouldn't lose it. I'm going to have to give it a try again without the ARD.

Thanks guys. This may be my problem.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic