OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Help me with my purchase!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me with my purchase!
    Posted: February/03/2006 at 07:30

I have finally narrowed down my pick for binoculars and would love to here from the optics experts here.  Let me know what you think about the list of the following.  I have hear great things about all of these binoculars and would love to know how you guys rate them in each price catagory.  What are the warrentys of each if you know.  Can you guys tell me where I can get the best buy on these?

$200-500 Range

1.) Pentax DCF SP or WP if I can find them in 8x43

2.) Bushnell Discovers 7x43 (heard great things bout them on the sample list forum)  Anyone have any thoughts on these?

3.) Leupold Pinniacles 8x42

$500-$1500 range

1.) Nikon Preimer XL 8x32 or 8x42

2.) Swarovski 8x30 or 7x42 or 10x42 (from Sample List)

3.) Zeiss Classic 10x40

4.) Kahles 8x42 or 8x32

5.)Zeiss FL 8x42

I am leaning more towards the Swarovski or Zeiss but would love to hear what everyone things about my choices.  I am wanting to by a pair that is fog proof, water proof, lifetime warrenty, and are well build.  Would love to hear from anyone that might have these for sale or if you know who has the best buy on these.  Thanks 

Birdhunter
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 07:44

From the first group I'd go with the Pinnacles just because I've owned and used them. Most here will probably pick the Pentax. There is a great article on this site about the Pinnacles under "Gun Tests Magazine" I think it's part I, they recommend the Pinnacles as a best buy in their price range and I agree. As for their warranty I belive it's a limited lifetime.

From the second group I'd go with the Swaro's. (which I currently own) The Swarovski's and Kahles are built like tanks and are great hunting binoculars. However, from what I've read about the Nikon's their optical quality and durabilty are on par with the the Swaro's & Zeiss, and their price is substantially lower. You would probably get more bang for your buck with them.

Your post should spur lots of discussion here. Good luck with your decision.

Edited by Stud Duck
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 08:22
Stud Duck, what power of the SLC's do you own?  How do they preform at dusk and dawn?  I am looking for a pair for deer, turkey and varmit hunting.  I am leaning towards the 8x30 or 7x42 slc's.  I like the 8x30's for weight but the 7x42's would give me more light.  I had a pair of Kahles 8x42's before and loved them but a ffellow hunter offered me more then I bought them for so I sold them.  Not sure if that was a wise thing now.  I hear the new Zeiss FL's are brighter then the SLC's but haven't seen them myself.  Thanks for you help!
Birdhunter
lucznik View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucznik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 10:38

Of your first three choices, I would likely pick the Pinnacle due to its larger FOV over the Pentax and I don't personally care for 7x binoculars which would rule out this particular Discoverer. (In 10x I would likely take the Discoverer.)

Of your remaining, more expensive options, I would pick either the Nikon LXL, or the Zeiss ClassiC (though I would opt for the 10x in the Nikon as well.) This would largely come down to a question of ergonomics which only you can decide for yourself. I also would spend some time examining the Bushnell Elite and the Leupold Gold Ring before I made a final decision. I absolutely do not believe that the Zeiss FL or the Swarovski offer sufficiently higher performance to justify their higher price tags. Others will no doubt, disagree. 

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 12:04

I own the Swaro's in a 10x42mm. They're great in low-light situations. I chose the 10x42mm because I do various types of hunting using different methods. They're just a good all-around binocular. As for turkey hunting I'm currently shopping for a set of 8x30mm, just because of weight & portability. I do alot of walking while turkey hunting.

Lucznik gave you some good advice check out the Elite's & Gold Rings. I'd go with what "fit" me the best. I was hell bent on a set of Leica's until I picked up the Swaro's. I love the Swaro's ergonomics, they fit my hands very well.

As for his statement about the Swarovski's & Zeiss performance over the Nikon LXL......I would probably agree. I believe you get what you pay for, especially when it comes to optics, but you do reach a point of diminished returns. 

Again, I ended up with the Swaro's because of ergonomics and one sweet deal. I purchased them new in box for less than used & refurbs were selling for. If I were currently shopping for a set of 10x42ish binoculars, I'd definately check out the Gold Rings & Nikon LXL's.( And I'm not a Nikon fan, just due to personal taste.) 

Edited by Stud Duck
birdhunter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote birdhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2006 at 14:50
Thanks guys, I have thought about the Bushell Elites and the Gold Rings.  I know the Elite scopes were very nice and I had a friend that owned a gun shop and he said they were hard to beat for the money and he could of had any scope he wanted.  When I was talking about the Swarovski's I was talking about a pair of 7x42 or 10x42 from the sample list.  Thanks for all you help.  Anyone else out there with a suggestion or a pair for sale? 
Birdhunter
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic