OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Muzzle Brakes.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Muzzle Brakes.
    Posted: November/08/2011 at 07:36
Going to put on on the Sendero sometime next year (maybe even barrel swap), and the Tikka when I buy it here in a few months. Who does a great job of this, and fairly reasonable on price. I'm hoping to stay flush with them, and the Tikka will be a Hunter with the blued barrel. Any responses are greatly appreciated!
You don’t know what you don’t know.

And those who don’t know and never try, never will.

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 07:43
Why do you want a brake on the tikka?  recoil will be non existant already with the 308 like you were talking about?

On the 300, there are many quality gunsmiths that can do it.  Personally I'd contact Bigdaddy on here and see what he could do for you.  I'd trust him with any of my guns.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:00
Oh I forgot that he could do it. I totally forgot about that. I'm no longer thinking about the .308. I've decided to stay with a mag cartridge, and go with the .284. I don't know why I didn't think of that when I first brought up the post, and feel like an idiot. Something just clicked when I thought of the 7mm rem mag and putting a brake on it. I'll have a 308 one day, along with many other rifles (hopefully), it just doesn't sound right now, you know? Hell I could be wrong. Maybe someone could talk some sense into me.

Edited by LRSMike - November/08/2011 at 08:02

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:09
If you already have one magnum cartridge, I'd go with something smaller for smaller game so you wouldn't tear up the animal as bad.  But thats just me. 
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:25
That's why I said someone needed to talk since into me. I think I have some sort loyalty to magnum rounds, like non-magnum(308) isn't sufficient enough or something. I'm still learning ballistics, and I know there is pretty much unlimited options with the 308, but maybe its kinda like short man syndrome with weapons for me, it has to be big. I appreciate you helping me out by the way.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:34
You can take most game with a properly placed 308.  Shot placement will trump velocity and bullet weight most of the time.  then again you get more room for error in shot placement with terminal effect if that makes sense.....
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:37
Bigger rounds and less energy equals less room for error. Same concept as using a Barrett for a job a AR15 could do.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:43
yeah but at the same time you should be able to feel confident in hitting your target effective before pulling the trigger. 

I won't shoot an animal with any round if I didn't think the bullet would do the job. I would not hesitate using a 308 on game out to 500yds with the right bullet but once you get past that I'd want something carrying more downrange energy like the 300 winny you already have.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 08:48
Oh I agree, I won't pull the trigger until I feel comfortable, even doing shoot-houses. Sorry I ask so many questions and sound stupid, maybe because I am. I should of stated when I very first joined that I really didn't know anything about bolt guns. I've learned a massive amount of things in the past going on 2 years.

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 09:48
BE ADVISED!! 

Muzzle brakes are LOUD!!!! I had one on a .300 RUM Sendero and it was brutal to shoot without ear protection. Tamed recoil though.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 12:18
I can take loud as I am already going deaf. I haven't had any shoulder issues, and I don't want to start one now, lol. I was at the range with a guy and his Surgeon .338 Lapua and it was stupid loud. 

You think a brake on a rifle is loud, try shooting a Browning M2 without ear protection! Probably to count for why I am deaf now.      50 Cal

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 12:21

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 12:40
Is that threading the barrel with a screw on brake?

supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 12:57
The one I had on a 300 wsm was so loud I had to wear double hearing protection.  I will never have another muzzle brake. 

I honestly think it would have made me deaf if I had shot it without hearing protection, it was insane.  But that just me. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 13:12

Yes, this was before I painted the rifle.

LRSMike View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Slightly Stoopid

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LRSMike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 15:45
That's pretty damn good! On the first two pictures you sent, of the done products, was the top picture more flush with the lines of the barrel, or was it just the way the camera made it look?

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/08/2011 at 16:52
It's paper mache...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 00:52
It is more flush. One is a bigger OD on barrel.

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 06:56
That's some damn fine machining there BD....no wonder you have so many loyal followers around here WinkBig Grin

Seriously though, awesome work.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
trigger29 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
X = 180 Y = 90 (X+Pyro)+(Y-Pyro) = ?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trigger29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/09/2011 at 08:13
We just like him because he's cheap........ not as cheap as Bud though. Lol.

Ha ha. Sorry Brando.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic