OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Nightforce vs. Conquest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 10:27
Higher contrast and resolution also helps when the possibility of small obstructions can cause wounded game. This helps when shooting close or long range in any light.
The line between tactical and hunting is getting pretty blurry in some instances. I want good glass and reticles.
Doug
jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 16:14
Tactical scopes like the Premier LT offer me what I want for both hunting and target shooting. I never have felt that way about any non-tactical. Specifically, I like exposed target turrets, turrets that match the reticle and reticles that have uniform sub-tensions, e.g. mils.

I can see where things like environmental conditions can play a part. I've never really thought about the coatings on scopes like the the Premiers and NF that I've owned...just assumed they were good or better and haven't had any problems. But then, it's either bone dry or snowing around here during hunting season. I've only had it rain on me once or twice. I also use a ScopeShield a lot of the time if the weather is nasty.
Reaction time is a factor...
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/05/2011 at 21:18
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Wow...I can't believe ya'll like the glass on the Connie better than the NF. I always felt they were at least too close to call. Been awhile since I compared them side by side, admittedly, but if I had to choose between the Conquest or the NXS, I'd go with the latter, no question. Too me, it's a better scope.  

I love the Conquest, don't get me wrong. Had the silver 3.5-10x44mm Conquest on my Sako.   
I been pimping Conquest's on here for years, but it ain't no Night Force.      

+1

If NF glass was really that substandard then why does one see a large number of NF scopes at bench rest competitions?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 08:15
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Wow...I can't believe ya'll like the glass on the Connie better than the NF. I always felt they were at least too close to call. Been awhile since I compared them side by side, admittedly, but if I had to choose between the Conquest or the NXS, I'd go with the latter, no question. Too me, it's a better scope.  

I love the Conquest, don't get me wrong. Had the silver 3.5-10x44mm Conquest on my Sako.   

+1

If NF glass was really that substandard then why does one see a large number of NF scopes at bench rest competitions?
cause they have dead nutz adjustments and are built like tanks ( yes, RC i know tanks break down too) and that counts
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 13:22
Also, NF Benchrest scopes use completely different optical designs and generally provide a better image than the NSX scopes.  Durability, internal travel, etc, were higher priority for the NSX's.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 13:35
Just stumbled onto this thread.

Nightforce glass is by no means substandard.  However, it is not quite as good as the price would suggest.  Still, it is very good and is on par with Conquest in terms of resolution (if not a little better).  Where Conquest is a little better is in terms of contrast. 

Generally, Nightforce scopes I have seen favored resolution over contrast and were generally well-optimized at mid-to-high magnifications.  At low magnifications, they were not as well optimized.

ILya

Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 19:07
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

+1

cause they have dead nutz adjustments and are built like tanks ( yes, RC i know tanks break down too) and that counts

So what are you saying about the glass?
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/06/2011 at 19:09
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Also, NF Benchrest scopes use completely different optical designs and generally provide a better image than the NSX scopes.  Durability, internal travel, etc, were higher priority for the NSX's.

I see NSX as well as BR versions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic