OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rimfire / Airgun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

2x7

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AE-35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2x7
    Posted: November/20/2011 at 19:56
Look'n at 3 -  2x7 scopes, for a 455 American in 22lr.. The 2x7 Weaver, 2x7 Vortex Diamondback, and the 2x7 Leupold. Been able to look through the Weaver and the Leupold, and the Leupold is a LOT brighter, anyone know how the Diamondback compair's to the other two ? Priced in the middle. Thanks.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 07:14
what leupold is it?
AE-35 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AE-35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 09:55
The 2x7x28 rimfire model.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/21/2011 at 10:18
The Leupold has the thin reticle and may not be a best choice in the woods or lower light. The Weaver is good to go for hunting, if that is one of your purposes.
I use a 2-7 Nikon Monarch on a 10/22 and parallax has been a non-issue in this power range. You don't have to limit yourself to rimfire only scopes.
Doug
AE-35 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AE-35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 08:50
It will be used for Squirrel hunt'n, on a 455 American, 25 to 50 yd. shots.Budget is 250, hate changing scopes and stuff, want to get a bright and clear one, and be done with it. Would have liked to mount a plain 6x, but now days there a lot higher than the variables, I'm old enough to remember when that fact was reversed !!! Don't really need the high powers, I live and hunt in the mtns. , dense forest, makes 25yd. shots the norm, 4x is just a little too low, old eyes, 6x is about all I can hold steady with out a rest for quick head shots. Not after the tame city , front yard tree-rats. These are very, very wary grays and reds, who only present head shots for a sort time. A lot of the time, if ya try to find a tree for a steady rest, there gone, ya have to make a quick aimed shot. I don't take body shots or shoot'm on the ground. Lots of people have bragged on the Diamondback line from Vortex, but none have said they've actually used one for squirrel hunt'n. What I guess I'm look'n for is a scope as bright and clear as the Leupold, but less money. Anyone have any experence with the Nikon 3x9 BDC rimfire? Price is good, just wonder about the brightness? Some have said the Prostaff line is made in China, and not near as good  as there other scopes ? Thanks for you'alls help.
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 13:52
There's nothing warier than heavily hunted grays on public land...

New Prostaffs are made in the Philippines. They're very clear from the 2 or 3 I've handled. Adjustments are nice,too. Not sure if they're as good as the EFR though.
The Weaver RV7 and RV9 are made in Japan. Comparisons I've seen from those who own both are that the RV9 is about 90% of the scope that the 3-9x rimfire EFR is, but I can't vouch for that having not handled the EFR. Hard to say, as everyone's eyes are different. 

Can't comment on the Diamondback (I only have Vipers and a Crossfire), but I think they're also from the Philippines. They use turrets very similar to the Nikon Buckmasters, which means good adjustments. Not sure you need that though.

BTW, if you want a plain 6x that doesn't cost too much:
http://swfa.com/Weaver-6x38-Classic-K-Rifle-Scope-P5055.aspx
It's a 100yd parallax scope, though at 6x it may not matter that much.

Were it me, I'd get the Weaver rimfire RV9 for failing eyes. Sight it in for 35yds. Use the AO to focus it exactly where you want it for you eyes. Set it to whatever power you want, and leave it there. If you need the 6x, it's there. If you want to go back to 4x or even 3x for close shots-it's also there.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 14:16
If i wanted a BRIGHT 6x that was around your price you want I'd look no further than this one -
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 
Add SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope to Cart
More Details »

Optional Accessories:

The SS will have target turrent and be a bit larger than others but its about as tough as they come and you won't be disappointed.  The turrents won't turn unless you want them to they have enough resistance.  Plus you can spend some time at the range and use the mil dot as a BDC type reticle.  They focus down pretty close too!
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/22/2011 at 17:13
+1 Swfa SS 6x42
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 00:20
+2 on the SS 6x42. I would also sign up for the SWFA Black Friday specials here. No one know what is going to happen with these but it would be worth checking.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 06:30
But the SS 6X weighs a ton.............Whatever

Visit the Ed Show
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 09:06
Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

But the SS 6X weighs a ton.............Whatever

Eat your wheatiesWink
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 10:03
[QUOTE=AE-35]Anyone have any experence with the Nikon 3x9 BDC rimfire? Price is good, just wonder about the brightness? QUOTE]

I have used the BDC in a 3-9 Monarch. First, they are not the best in low light and heavy cover like tree tops. Secondly, I would not want to use the BDC for head shots, a small target where the BDC circle would be too large.
I think the 2-7 is a wise choice and several of those mentioned would work. The best choice to me would be the Weaver. My 2-7 Monarch has a similar plex and works great and is similar in size, though the glass may be a bit better. I had mine set on 2x last winter when a cottontail ripped by at 25'. I didn't get him and missed the shot. The fixed 4X on my other 10/22 has not even let me pick up similar chances, let alone shoot.

Edited by tahqua - November/23/2011 at 10:03
Doug
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/23/2011 at 18:50

Shocked

Weight Lifter

Visit the Ed Show
bro.steve View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bro.steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 21:00
For gray squirrels you'll need bright, but also good enough resolution to get on them fast--you KNOW they don't stay still long.
AE-35 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AE-35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 22:39
 Took Poodleshooter1's advice, put a RV9 on my 455, sighted it in for 35yds. Very happy. Put a Sightron 3x9RF on my 452, surprise... I like it better than the RV9, much quicker picking up the plain cross-hair reticle. 20 to 75 yards tree-rats learned to fear the Trainer this past season !!!!  Got both my scopes from swfa, couldn't be happier.
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 11:18
Nice set ups.
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 13:58
2-7x Weaver on a CZ 452 Trainer. 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 20:05
I probably should not be looking a the firearms sitting at the phoneix airport. But that sure looks nice. I should have a new toy to mount a 2-7 on when I get back to Tulsa.
Who said it don't rain in Arizona cause they are wrong.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 20:20
Big Time. 
Visit the Ed Show
AE-35 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AE-35 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/25/2012 at 20:25
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

2-7x Weaver on a CZ 452 Trainer. 

Gerald ? That you ?  You know you could post a pic of that beautiful 455 Lux. I'm sure everyone would enjoy the eye-candy !Big Grin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic