OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

.243 scope suggestions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: .243 scope suggestions
    Posted: November/25/2011 at 23:02
I have a Remington .243 Woodsmaster model 742 that was handed down to me from my grandfather.  I'd like to put a decent scope on it and would appreciate suggestions.  I'll be shooting anything from prairie dogs to black bear.  I don't want to spend more than $300ish.  The only suggestions I get from gun shops is to buy what they carry.  I'd like some unbiased opinions.  Thanks!
Barnacle Bill View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barnacle Bill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 07:46
I'm not an expert, but another resource I use is Chuck Hawks' "GUNS AND SHOOTING ONLINE".  In their section on optics they have an article titled "Scope Magnification and Rifle Caliber".  The .243 Win. shows up in two sections of the article, under "Scopes for medium to long range varmint cartridges" and "Scopes for all around and long range big game cartridges".

Under the former they recommend an AO or side focus parallax adjustment.  In a fixed power they  recommend 6x to 12x, and particularly recommend 10x.  As a side note, SWFA right now has Black Friday package deals on their SS fixed 6x & 10X scopes for $299.99.  In a variable power they recommend low end manification in the 4-8x range and high end magnification in the 12-25x range, and particularly recommend an ~6-18x scope.

Under the latter, in fixed power they recommend 4x to 6x, and particularly recommend a 4x.  In a variable power they recommend low end manification in the 2-3.5x range and high end magnification in the 8-10x range, and particularly recommend a 3-9x scope.

For what it's worth.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 07:51
There are several scopes that I really like that are great hunting scopes. Most are more expensive the ones that are fairly close to your price range are below:
Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope Z-Plex Zeiss 3-9x40 Conquest Rifle Scope
Stock # - ZEI5214609920
  • Matte   Thunbs Up <====<<<First Choice
  • Z-Plex
  • 1"
  • Etched Glass
  • 2nd Plane
$399.95
Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x36 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU63085
$329.95
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
$429.95
Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope Leupold 8x40 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU001840
$379.95
Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope Bushnell 3-9x40 Elite Rifle Scope
Stock # - BUSE3940SF
  • Matte
  • Multi-X
  • 1"
  • Rainguard HD
  • Side Focus
  • Ultra-Wide Band Coating
  • Argon Purging Process
  • Free Rain Suit Coupon
$199.99
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42BF
  • Matte    <====<<< Thunbs UpSUPER DEAL
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
  • BLACK FRIDAY SALE
  • SALE ends @ Midnight November 28th
$299.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/26/2011 at 09:32

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 08:16
When you use a rifle as an all purpose rifle your best choice is probably a variable because it gives you low powers that allow you to get on target fast at close range and higher powers for when you have a solid rest and time to get on target. At 3x a scope has a much wider field of view. A fixed 6x it is a good compromise as its  never on the wrong power, you can still get onto game well under 100 yds but have enough power to make good shots several hundred yards.  Many a deer or elk has been missed because someone was messing around with a variable that was on too high of a power to get onto the animal.   I advise against a fixed 10x even a fixed 8x is really pushing the limit of what can be hand held and shot, once you get to 10x it can be done but its way difficult and higher powers must be rested on a solid rest. For a guy who hunts from a fixed position along the edge of a field or in a tree stand he can use higher power but if you ever stalk game you need to be somewhere between 3x and  not over about 6x that  said my grandfather hunted all his life with a fixed 8x scope and killed lots of deer.  Target or tactical knobs can allow you to dial in correction to shoot very accurately at long range.  http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/ttctypes/
kenton ind can engrave a knob marked 1 for 100 2 for 200 3 for 300 etc  speed dial and if you know distance from a rangefinder you can shoot accurately a long way.  I have one of the 6x42 Super Snipers and like it a lot. I have had a 6x leupold in the past and liked it a lot the 8x I have not had yet but I want it and expect it to be a great scope. The zeiss is an awesome all around scope and likely the best choice if  you dont use tactical knobs. I will also address the higher variables because a lot of guys like a real powerful scope so they can see the holes in the target but for most hunting it is not so much of an advantage however with prairie dogs it is an advantage because you hunt them with a solid rest and they are a small hard to see target for them tactical knobs are also an advantage and if you did much of that I might pick the fixed 8x or  higher  or a 4-16 variable or higher but the higher variables that are good are way more expensive. I hunted one year with a fixed 20 and while it was grey and dim in low light you can hunt a high power fixed from a stand where you have a solid rest and back it up with a handgun for stuff under 100 yds.
With the semi auto Remmington that you have any of the scopes above should work when you get serious about going after the prairie dogs you will want a bolt action 204 Ruger or .223 or 22-250 and a really high power scope like a 20x.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - November/26/2011 at 09:20

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mtc View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 11:31
Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated!  
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 11:45
Glad to have you here there is a lot of good information in this forum and a lot of good shooters here who are always glad to share what they have learned the hard way.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 18:05
The above are all good suggestions. I would also throw this one in the mix for a fixed 4x which is a very versatile scope. I have this scope on my wife's bolt action .243 and find myself using it a-lot. don't let the low price fool you. The glass is excellent and the adjustments are spot on. This is a-lot of scope at this price point. On a fast handling semi-auto such as yours I think this would be a great combo.

http://swfa.com/Weaver-4x38-Classic-K-Rifle-Scope-P5054.aspx

Edited by biggreen747 - November/26/2011 at 18:06
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/26/2011 at 19:10
True the classic 4x scopes are a possible and Weaver makes a reliable decent scope but it still is by no means a Zeiss Conquest and doesnt have tactical knobs.  Even the best of the Weavers seems to be smoked when set next to a Bushnell Elite or a Zeiss and the FX3 Leupold glass is a vast improvement over their older scopes.   Glass reallly is not the only consideration because you can use OK glass with a scope that has ultra reliable adjustments and always holds its zero and kill lots of game.  I really like having tactical knobs to dial in correction but I would not choose them for heavy brush.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/27/2011 at 07:13
I had a 3-9/2.5-10 on my 243 and that was perfect size.  For your price range, I'd look at a Sightron SII.  But if you can spare the extra coin, I'd try to find a Conquest 3-9.  For the price, that scope is hard to beat.

slowr1der View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowr1der Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/28/2011 at 08:30
For me I'd go with a 3-9x40 Burris FFII in your price range. I've used many scopes in that price range, and I think it's by far the best until you step up to a Zeiss Conquest which is out of your price range, and it's not a huge difference between the two. I've used several scopes that are in the Zeiss Conquest price range, or more, that I think don't come close to the FFII glass wise.

That said, I'm a bigger fan of the 4.5-14x42 model of the FFII especially for a .243, but I think it's probably unneeded on a 742, and would look out of place.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic