OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Bushnell Rainguard substitute

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bushnell Rainguard substitute
    Posted: November/30/2011 at 08:35
The first week of buck season here in WV had some dismal weather this year, lots and lots of rain, but that's part of it....never a bad day hunting, just bad weather!

The rifle I was using had a Leupold on top and it was a never ending battle this year keeping the lenses clear from all the rain. On the bright-side, C-Clear done it's job preventing external fogging.

Anyhow, to the point; Are there any other scope manufaturers out there that have a proprietary coating such as Bushnell's Rainguard and is it possible to use an automotive product such as Rain-X on a scope without destroying the coatings on the glass?

Just some of my thoughts as I hunted in the down-pours during the first week. Smile

Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 09:39
I wouldn't be surprised if Rain-X worked well but you won't catch me experimenting on any of my scopes.  Nikon makes fogproof lens wipes but I've never used them.
BigGameBalls View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigGameBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 10:16
Burris has a storm coating on some of their high end scopes
brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 10:49
Bushwacker makes a nice flip up lens cover in multiple sizes.  Might cost you 20$ for a set with shipping.  I have them on all of my scopes and they've worked well.
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 11:05
Sightron has a coating on the Big Sky scopes as do some Zeiss (LotuTec) and Leica (Aquadura I think).
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 11:35
Originally posted by Horsemany Horsemany wrote:

I wouldn't be surprised if Rain-X worked well but you won't catch me experimenting on any of my scopes.  Nikon makes fogproof lens wipes but I've never used them.
I'd be willing to experiment on a cheaper scope and then possibly bite the bullet and try it of a Leupold or Zeiss.

Fogproof is one thing, a scope you can't see through because it's covered with water is another. I had Butler Creek caps on this scope, but sometimes it's not feasible to keep them closed and other times you just can't stop the lenses from becoming wet......trust me, I tried.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 11:48
Adding a chemical like rainx wouldn't be a wise choice.  IT could react to any coating on the lenses already and cause an adverse affect.  I would highly discourage doing that. 

I've seen blizard caps, scope covers, butler creeks, bikini covers all used in protecting scopes from the rain work some better than the others.  At some point if they dont' work you gotta ask yourself should you be out in those conditions anywayLoco
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 14:32
Rain-X is NOT for coated lenses. Even says so right on the box.
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 14:32
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

you gotta ask yourself should you be out in those conditions anywayLoco

I am, therefore I hunt. Big Grin

Seriously, I subscribe to the theory that a buck has got to be somewhere all the time; I have never let the weather affect my hunting due to that theory....you may be correct, Loco

Edited by Stud Duck - November/30/2011 at 14:33
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 14:34
Originally posted by Roy Finn Roy Finn wrote:

Rain-X is NOT for coated lenses. Even says so right on the box.
Thanks for the info Roy, I haven't looked at the bottle, because I haven't been anywhere to look at it, but I did email them today on the issue.

Again, thanks.
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 14:34
The makers of Ultra Bore Coat/ Ultra Gun Shield are working on a product that will be safe for sport optics.

Edited by Roy Finn - November/30/2011 at 14:35
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 14:54
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

you gotta ask yourself should you be out in those conditions anywayLoco

I am, therefore I hunt. Big Grin

Seriously, I subscribe to the theory that a buck has got to be somewhere all the time; I have never let the weather affect my hunting due to that theory....you may be correct, Loco
LOL.  I'm not as hard of a hunter as most.  I'll be the first to admit that.  Now if i was putting food on the table and that was the way I was doing it I'd be out there in any conditions but I've not been to that point yet.
Wevil View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 17:34
I hunted Monday in Pennsylvania about 80 miles north of Pittsburgh for opening day of deer season. I was in the same cold rainstorm as you. My Bushnell Elite 4200 3x9 stayed clear and useable all day, can't say the same for my buddies Leupold VXII. My leupold binoculars were also useless, fogged and blurry from rain drops. This is the 2nd time in the last 4 years that my opening day was saved by Bushnell. I hunted this morning in the rain/sleet with the same results, still had a good picture through the scope. I will probably buy a set of Bushnell binoculars (with rainguard) next. I am very impressed with the performance of rainguard.
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 19:07
some real smart guy in our section put rainx on an old M3 luupy, before a mission, and you couldn't see anything with the pvs 26 on it. so it does something to the coating to screw with night vision, but during the day it was fine. he still got the sh!t smoked out of him.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/30/2011 at 20:08
Parker's Perfect........it's the OP's answer to his quest.

http://www.parkersperfect.com/intro_frameset.htm

Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 06:24
Oakley makes a hydrophobic coating kit for glasses; I sent them an email yesterday in regards to using it on sport optics.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 07:16
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Parkers Perfect Accessories
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2011 at 15:57
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Fog isn't the issue; not being able to see through a scope covered with water droplets is.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic