OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

4-12x40 scope advice?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 4-12x40 scope advice?
    Posted: December/02/2011 at 05:17

I am getting a new bolt gun. A Tikka T3 in 7mm-08. I am considering one of the following scopes:

Burris 4.5-12x42 FullField II Package w/Landmark 12-24x50 Spotter $379.95
(I don't have a spotting scope. This also has a $50 mail in rebate. Scope also already has a dope card for 7mm-08 with 140 gr @2860 fps.)

Nitrex TR1 4-16x50 AO $179.95

Nitrex TR1 3-9x40 w/Ballistic Plex $139.95
(Just purchased one of these and was pretty impressed with the glass for the money. And it is going on my AR.)

Bushnell 4200 3-9x40 w/Multi-Plex Reticle $179.99

Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 w/BDC $199.95

I would also consider any other scopes that have decent glass and good reputations. If it is just a scope, I prefer to keep it below $250. The scope package with the rebate seems like a good deal to me.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 07:16
OF what you listed I'd say the burris has the most to offer you but I'd not factor the dope card in there.  There is no way to know your dope ahead of time without going out to the range and gathering data for your gun and your load, period. 
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 12:39
The Bushnell will have the best glass, and would be the best for rainy weather hunting. (I just bought one).
The fullfield will probably have longer eye relief than the others.
The Nitrex and Bushnell have pretty short eye relief (though the Bushnell's is very constant).
The Nitrex scopes are discontinued, so getting support from Weaver may be iffy, but they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 13:07
I got one of the 4200's a few years back and they are fine scope. I gave it the shower test and Rainguard does work. The 3-9 4200 is also being discontinued. Though it looks to be re-badged as Elite 3-9x40.
SWFA has a few 4200's left and will set you up 972-726-7348

Doug
Cooper25 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooper25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2011 at 23:25
Just picked up my second 2.5-10 4200 yesterday for 159,  (think one of my best buys ever) and also own a ffll and I gotta say the eye relief drives me crazy on that scope and I hate turning the whole eyepiece to change power.  Having said that it is a nice clear scope, but,  I prefer the 4200 :) 
Jeff
mikeintx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2011 at 04:02
Originally posted by Poodleshooter1 Poodleshooter1 wrote:

The Bushnell will have the best glass, and would be the best for rainy weather hunting. (I just bought one).
The fullfield will probably have longer eye relief than the others.
The Nitrex and Bushnell have pretty short eye relief (though the Bushnell's is very constant).
The Nitrex scopes are discontinued, so getting support from Weaver may be iffy, but they offer a lot of bang for the buck.

I sent an email to Weaver and got a reply. The ATK Technical Services Rep stated "Yes, those models are treated just as a Weaver scope is. If for some reason down the road we cannot repair it, it will be replaced with a comparable Weaver scope." He sent me the warranty statement to printout and keep with the scope paperwork.
mikeintx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2011 at 06:12
I just listed the scopes I was looking at. I like really like the advice you guys give. It has kept me from getting any "junk" if you will. It has also opened up my preverbial eyes to the better glass that is out there. The Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 that I bought for my 6.5x47 Lapua is so much clearer than anything I have owned. Just my budget dictates less.

I will consider anything around $300.00. This is what I am looking for:

Upper power range at least 12.
Objective 40 or higher
Like a ballistic plex or BDC type reticle
Good warranty service

This is going to go on a bolt rifle I will use to hunt with. The other bolt rifles I have are heavier varmint/target type rifles so the scope generally doesn't get subject to that much abuse. In the hunting world such is not always the case.
Mike
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2011 at 07:25
In your price range your limited.  I'd be sure to check the SL, www.samplelist.com, for deals, If you could I'd suggest saving a bit more and upping your budget.  The minox za5's can be had with a BDC type reticle and they have conquest level glass according to most.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2011 at 20:40
I know Im going to be the odd one in the crowd and suggest a Super Sniper 6x42 with tactical knobs to dial in correction.  Then add Kenton Ind knobs like the speed dial 0 is 100 yds next mark is 150 then 2 for 200 yds etc out to about 600 yds   http://www.kentonindustries.com/pics/ttctypes/
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/08/2011 at 20:41

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
mikeintx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/08/2011 at 23:44
Thanks for all the advice. I went by SWFA today and took a look at the Minox scope. Read good stuff on here and talked to Chris II. He is absolutely right that Minox is a awesome scope in it's price range. German class that is on par with some of the high end Japan and other German glass makers. If you haven't taken a look at Minox, I highly recommend it!

http://www.opticstalk.com/smileys/Thumbs%20Up.gif

Mike
coldhunt View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coldhunt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 06:54

By all reports you won't go wrong with the Minox. You may want to have a look at a Sightron as well, in your price range.

varmintcaller View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote varmintcaller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 00:27
Moon Labe
Hamm I Am View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hamm I Am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 22:39
Burris All The Way.

I got that same set up with the spoting scope combo.  (FYI- I saw the same spotting scope on ebay today going for around $70).  I picked this scope up after it was recomended by a big time hunting buddy.  I love the clarity and brightness as well as the bullistiplex reticle.  It will come with a guide chart to show how to use the reticle with different rounds.  I am looking for another scope for my AR and will almost certainly be getting a Burris.  They are very great quality and the price is right.  Plus I hear the garantee and CS is outstanding. 

Good luck.

Hamm I Am
mikeintx View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikeintx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 23:08
I picked up a Minox ZA3 3-9x40 with BDC. Awesome glass! Very clear! I got a great deal from SWFA and as usual enjoyed the visit with Christopher! Always friendly and very knowledgable!

Well if plans hold I will be out hunting some hogs this weekend. Will not be using my 7-08 with the Minox but will be using my 6.8 AR with a Viper 2-7x32 that I got from SWFA. So hopefully I will have a pic to post in the contest!
Mike
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic