OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Member's Trading Post > Firearms For Sale
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Remington 742 30-06

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Remington 742 30-06
    Posted: December/08/2011 at 07:43

Like new condition, selling for a widow whos husband past and left medical debts.  Gun appears to have been lightly used if any.  There is a slight mark on the very end of the forarm.  The wood is nice and rich.  Will ship to an FFL. 

$400 plus shipping
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 08:42
I can't tell by the pictures, but is it a carbine?
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 08:43

not that I can tell

Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 09:14
Has the bolt rails been worked on?
P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 09:28
to my knowledge BD nothing has been done to this gun.  I'd wager that the guy shot it a few times and put it in the safe and it stayed there until his wife got it out.
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 09:47
10-4, a way to tell if they have been shot ALOT. push the 2 trigger group pins out. take the trigger group out. Look inside the reciver and where the bolt cycle back there will be a few small groves cut into the rail from the bolt. if it dose have them you know its be shot alot. if it has them and some one filed them down, take rifle and put in trash or seel all the part and trash the reciver. They can be fixed but not filing them off. thats just one thing to look for on a 742.

That rifle also most looks new. No handling marks from what I can tell.

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 09:53
If it wasn't for the small knick on the forearm it could pass as new BD
Stud Duck View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stud Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 08:54
Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

10-4, a way to tell if they have been shot ALOT. push the 2 trigger group pins out. take the trigger group out. Look inside the reciver and where the bolt cycle back there will be a few small groves cut into the rail from the bolt. if it dose have them you know its be shot alot. if it has them and some one filed them down, take rifle and put in trash or seel all the part and trash the reciver. They can be fixed but not filing them off. thats just one thing to look for on a 742.

Were there any inherent flaws with the design of these rifles? I'm interested in it just for sentimental value. The first "deer rifle" I was ever given was a 742 carbine chambered in '06.

My rifle functioned flawlessly and grouped extremely well for a semi-auto of that time period, but I have read that the 742's were a poorly designed gas system, but again you couldn't prove it by me, I hunted with mine for YEARS without problems.

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 12:26
I had one years ago and didnt think it terribly accurate but it was reliable and light recoil for a 30-06. The price sounds low to me.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/12/2011 at 07:43
Originally posted by Stud Duck Stud Duck wrote:

Originally posted by Bigdaddy0381 Bigdaddy0381 wrote:

Were there any inherent flaws with the design of these rifles? I'm interested in it just for sentimental value. The first "deer rifle" I was ever given was a 742 carbine chambered in '06.

My rifle functioned flawlessly and grouped extremely well for a semi-auto of that time period, but I have read that the 742's were a poorly designed gas system, but again you couldn't prove it by me, I hunted with mine for YEARS without problems.

No, these are great rifles if taken care of properly. They are not the most accurate but will work fine for normal hunting shooting. The price on this one is really good.

Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/13/2011 at 18:25
Do you know what the year of manufacture is on it?

And has already been asked do you know what the barrel length is?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 07:42
Sorry fella, been slack on this.  It is currently SPF. 

I had a couple low ball offers, i did  not reply.  Given the reason I was selling this I didn't expect those to come in so I wasn't prepared to respond to those.  If I offended you, oh well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic