OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OT Coffee House, Part V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 164165166167168 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 09:18
Oh Deck, I can see you're going to be fighting off the indians in a few years.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 09:19
They're both pretty much blondes like their mother was at their age.  As they have gotten older, their hair has started to get darker.  
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 09:19
Those day trips to Chicago have to be taking a toll!!! 

Cherish the quality time while you can Deck...it won't be long tilll your on the ''uncool to be seen with' list!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 09:25
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Oh Deck, I can see you're going to be fighting off the indians in a few years.

That's what I'm worried about.  All we can do is keep them in church, the youth group, and make sure we teach them proper Christian values.  The one in the pic is the "pleaser."  She wants everyone to be happy with her.  Me and mama want to make sure she's concerned more about us being pleased than some rotten-pants little hooligan.  The little one is way more concerning.  She's the one that has the twinkle in her eye.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 09:31

Mornin comradesCoffee

Bud, I had a house in Old Looneyville that was built about that time (1870s). It was a real PITA, beautiful house and interesting, but a PITA. Just sayin.

You couldn't get me to touch a house that old for a bezillion dollars!!!  Had that war with my wife when we bought our first house.  I won that one!  When she left me she bought a 100 yr old home and has had one thing after another go bad.  Oil Furnace, roof, Asbestos shingle siding,  wet basement, sagging front porch, and the list goes on....  She FINALLY gets my point about not wanting an old home... Whacko

Now she loosing it in her 2nd bankruptcy.. after 3 refinances, $65K drop in market value and $30K loss in pet damage!!!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 09:33
Twinkle, twinkle.....Ouch!!!  good luck!
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:10
I had good luck with mine, but I was always repairing, replacing, or updating something. I could never get ahead of what needed to be done, I could only keep it legally livable.
Then there was the fact that the house was in a historical district. That is where I really got lucky; not because it was a historical house, but because I didn't get caught making the improvements I made.
I got a huge gas and electric bill one month, so I replaced the single pane wood frame windows with double andtriple pane vinyle windows, and didn't get caught. Cut my bill in half too. One of the front porch collums was rotting to pieces, and the porch roof was in danger of falling, so I replaced both with similar looking fiber glass collums, and didn't get caught. Did a few other things too, and didn't get caught.
When I put the house up for sale, the realator asked me how I got away with the windows, collums and other improvements. I told her I just did it, and didn't get caught. They couldn't make you change it back at the time, but they could stop you if they caught you in the act, and make you put it back as original.
Always got me, the same libtards that scream about global warming and energy use, were the same ones that didn't allow improvements to a home that reduced energy use, because it looked a little different. Now that's diversity.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:12
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Mornin comradesCoffee

Bud, I had a house in Old Looneyville that was built about that time (1870s). It was a real PITA, beautiful house and interesting, but a PITA. Just sayin.

You couldn't get me to touch a house that old for a bezillion dollars!!!  Had that war with my wife when we bought our first house.  I won that one!  When she left me she bought a 100 yr old home and has had one thing after another go bad.  Oil Furnace, roof, Asbestos shingle siding,  wet basement, sagging front porch, and the list goes on....  She FINALLY gets my point about not wanting an old home... Whacko

Now she loosing it in her 2nd bankruptcy.. after 3 refinances, $65K drop in market value and $30K loss in pet damage!!!

How does your ex-wife even it make it through a day? 2 friggin bankruptcies!?!? She living in a card board box at this point?

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:14
Hey Lynn......good use of the word LIBTARDS! Excellent 

Almost as good as asshat. Big Grin
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:25
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

How does your ex-wife even it make it through a day? 2 friggin bankruptcies!?!? She living in a card board box at this point?

Seems she always calls me for advice on what to do then does the exact opposite!!!! 

She will have to find a place to rent.... yeah right!!!  With 2 pitbulls and 5 cats, who in their right minds would rent to her!  Especially since none of the critters are house broken!!!!!Loco

She will NEVER learn!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:27
Lynn you are capable of working on an old house, my Ex is not capable of opening a zip lock bag the slider has come off of...  I used to try and help her with repairs but gave up on that long ago...
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:33
I used to love old victorian homes, and still like old homes that were built to take advantage of natural resources for heating, cooling, lighting, etc., but an old home is an old home, and they need lots of TLC. Otherwise your investment could turn into a vacant lot and a real headache.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:40
Bud, I wasn't good at working on old homes. I was good at finding good contractors at reasonable prices that could work on old houses. It's how I was able to build my current house; find and manage contractors.
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:41
Growing up in a home that originally was a barn and over 100 years old, i put the idea of ever buying "old" out of my head early on in life. Just like cars nickle and dime you, houses are no different. We spent slightly more than we originally planned to with our current home but it was move in ready with little to no work needed. Our AC blew up last year but we knew it was over 25 years old and wouldn't have much life left in it anyway when we purchased. Other than that, we've had no problems.

I figure the money we save by not having thousand of dollars worth of "to-do's" add up over the next 5-10 years far out weighs the few grand we went over our initial budget at closing.

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:42
Yes constant maintenance required to maintain!!!  Thats pretty much sums up what has happened to my Ex... then throw in all the pet damage from untrained an undisciplined pets to excellerate the aging process!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:47
That and upgrading to newer more efficient AC will save big $$$ immediately!  I just had to pick a new Electric supplier...Electric is goes up steadily.  My last bill was $324.00!!!  An all time high by over $50!  Now is a great time to install a big enough Solar system to nullify the Electric bill and the savings will quickly pay for the system.
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:55
My power bill last month, $394.00,  highest its been in the last year.  Time to put a lock on the thermistat!
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:57
Wowza. Our power bill is always under $90 per month
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 10:58
That's insane guys. Our highest bill was around $150, last year i think. We just paid 132 this past month. Usually have the AC set to 73 during summer, and 72 during the cold winter months.

We don't have a giant house but it sure isn't tiny either. I always wonder how people have 4 and 500 dollar electric bills.
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

-Chris Moltisanti
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 11:11
In the old house, the AC and heat were central and probably installed when central air and heat first came out. I replaced them with the most efficient system I could. It made a difference in both comfort and cost.

Unless you have the knowledge to build and install your own solar panels, I would look at ways to reduce electricity usage. I have NOT had a good experience with my solar panels. I don't see them ever paying for themselves, and they will not supply enough power to justify the cost.
IF I can find a suitable tower at a reasonable cost, I may install a wind turbine, since I live in a location and altitude that could produce enough power to supply 30 to 50% of my power needs. Even more than that, if I can get Passive Annual Heat Storage installed, and hook up to city water. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 164165166167168 1639>
  Share Topic