OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OT Coffee House, Part V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 11:36
I have fantastic southern exposure on both my house and 30X40 polebarn.  With the cost of Solar coming down based on $ per Kwatt and the newer mini converters it really reduces the installation cost.  I would install it myself and save a huge amount at installation.  That coupled with the modularity of seperate miniinverters for each panel enables one to slowly expand their system as cashflow allows.  I'd start with a 3 or 5kWatt system and have a friend / ex co-worker Engineer who now does Solar syatems to help the initial install and set-up.  Then I can expland at my leasure at minimal cost.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

DCAMM94 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 11:38
Originally posted by shooter07 shooter07 wrote:

I always wonder how people have 4 and 500 dollar electric bills.

Two words:  Swimming Pool.

We don't have one, but my neighbor across the street does.  His house is just a little bigger than ours, and his bill last month was almost $500, while ours was closer to $250.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 11:39
Having to pay someone else to buy and install a system almost doubles the cost of that system.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 12:11
Bud, my system is less than 3 years old. Has the latest and greatest panels with the mini-verters. Six of the largest panels, probably close to what yoy are looking at. On average, they might reduce my bill by ten bucks, if that much. It will never pay for itself. The last salesman at the house had to admit to me that it would take at least 30 panels to run my house, and would cost $250,000.00 at the sale price.
There is a book out there, that tells how to build your own panels at a fraction of the cost.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 13:04
30 panels... thats approx 6000 watts and that sounds about right.

SO the system you have is only about 3KW?

--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 13:38
Lynn youe have to mean $25,000 and not $250,000!
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 14:07
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

30 panels... thats approx 6000 watts and that sounds about right.

SO the system you have is only about 3KW?

Are we confused? If 6 panels=3KW, then 30 panels would=15KW, which would run my house; or if 30 panels=6,000watts or 6KW, then 6 panels=1.2KW, which is about what is produced. I'm confused.

Yes, it is $250,000 or a quarter million dollars.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 15:40
Yeah, i was Bucky
sorry when you said large panels I'm thinking 200-240 watts per panel was the last time I looked.  What exaclty is your system please?
What is the correct watts per panel in your 6 panel system?

If you have 6 240W pnl then 1440W

Edited by budperm - August/08/2012 at 15:51
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 15:53
I'll have to check, but I believe 240watts per panel.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 16:06
Lynn does the producer of your system have a website?
--Thomas Jefferson

Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 19:45
No idea about PV panel/install costs, but if panels/install/accoutrements were $5/watt ($1200/panel for a 240W. panel) and normal utility charge to a panel owner is $.15/KWHr, and a panel reaches 70% efficiency 8 Hrs/day 350 days/yr, then payback would be in about 17 years- no real clue of actual costs.

The Oklahoma City VA hospital is installing a PV array/carport over the main parking lot as we speak.
I'd like to see what they are paying/watt...
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/08/2012 at 20:58
The fireworks should be exciting when the first spring hail storm hits it.

Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 06:22
Currently 210W panels are selling for $2-3/W so $630 per panel worst case. then approx $70 per panel in mounting hardware.  Then inverter cost.  You can buy DIY 7.5KW system for $15K-20K that has everything except mounting hardware. ($70 per panel).  70x24 panels=$1680 rounding to $2K.
SO you should be able to install your own 7.5KW system for under $25K for sure!
A 7.5KW system should be able to run the average house w/central AC.
A 7.5KW system should over an average month completely wipe out the Electric bill and create a small positive balance with the power company in your favor.
The above system prices are buying a packaged system from a reputable dealer.  You can peice meal together you own system for 10 to 30% less but you better know what your doing!!!
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 06:28
Alan the most affordable PV panels I know about are one that are bonded to metal roofing panels.  I know their is several companies the are currently making PV panel using a newly developed lithography process.  These panels were selling for about $1/W 2 years ago but only available to the power industry!!!  Dirty rotten bass tards....
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 06:29
Originally posted by 3_tens 3_tens wrote:

The fireworks should be exciting when the first spring hail storm hits it.

The commercial panels are hail rated but I bet it would be a cool light show to see one breached! Bucky
--Thomas Jefferson

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 07:21
Good Mooning allMooner
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 07:31
Morning sunshine....it's still white I see! Smile
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 08:43
Morning comradesCoffee

I see G is becoming as grouchy as meBig Grin
Oh no, say it aint soMad
Why yes, it's the talk of kids I guessRoll on Floor Laughing
It's no more joys for the big old boysSad
Cause his little girls and boys, are gettin all his toysClown
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 08:52
Bud, I'll have to look and see who the company is, when I can find a roundtoit. I have 2 different companies, one for powerThumbs Down and one for hot waterThunbs Up  I'd hate to give you the wrong name, since they are both similar, and they both do power.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/09/2012 at 08:53

I'm not grumpy, Yall ain't seen the movie varisty blues?

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 165166167168169 1639>
  Share Topic