OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Everything Else > Almost Anything Goes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

OT Coffee House, Part V

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979980981982983 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 06:49
So how did the show go???

Do you actually take orders at these shows or just demo/display the products...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Scrumbag View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 06:50
Hello from blustery but sunny Aberdeen, Scotland, Beltfed.

How's life with you guys over there?

Looking at changing the current 7x64 for a Mausingfield actioned jobby. (Just got a UK importer) and excited for the arrival of my 257 Roberts build on an FN Commerical.

Optics wise I'm considering changing my 3-9x36 on the .223 to something with more mag for varminting and target work though not sure whether to go for a BCD or Turrets...

Any thoughts...
Was sure I had a point when I started this post...
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 06:55
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

So how did the show go???

Do you actually take orders at these shows or just demo/display the products...

Very busy, I have two factory people and the four of us and we are writing most of the time.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 07:18
I'm still making my shopping list....  I'm afraid I'm going to have to rob a bank before it's over....  Loco
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 07:27
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

Looking at changing the current 7x64 for a Mausingfield actioned jobby. (Just got a UK importer) and excited for the arrival of my 257 Roberts build on an FN Commerical.

Optics wise I'm considering changing my 3-9x36 on the .223 to something with more mag for varminting and target work though not sure whether to go for a BCD or Turrets...

Any thoughts...

I've been surprising pleased with the rather cheap BSA 6-18 X 40 Sweet 223 I put on my Savage 223 Bandito
Heck I have used it to shoot pencil sized weeds at 100 yds...... TIMBER!!!  Bucky

My other hi mag varmint scope is an older Vortex Viper 6-24 X 50.  Darn NICE scope for the money!
--Thomas Jefferson

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 08:31
Originally posted by Scrumbag Scrumbag wrote:

Any thoughts...

Dang, we might be related.
What kind of varmints you shootin at, and how far away are they?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 08:43

[/QUOTE] 

I've been surprising pleased with the rather cheap BSA 6-18 X 40 Sweet 223 I put on my Savage 223 Bandito
Heck I have used it to shoot pencil sized weeds at 100 yds...... TIMBER!!!  Bucky

My other hi mag varmint scope is an older Vortex Viper 6-24 X 50.  Darn NICE scope for the money!
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that Budperm, have heard good things about the Vortex but not used one myself as yet. How are they in low light..?
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 08:45
Mornin' Gents.  Finally Friday.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 08:53
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

Dang, we might be related.
What kind of varmints you shootin at, and how far away are they?

Sorry beltfed,

I doubt it as I’m not an Aberdeen local, just hear working in the oil industry. (Thought my grandmother was from Fife)

Current set up is a .223 CZ 527 with a 22” barrel and 1:9 twist.

Varmints we go for over here:

Foxes, rabbits, squirrels and corvids mainly.

Foxes .223 is great.

Rabbits: If you want to eat the rabbits better to head shoot them with solids than anything expanding in the form of ballistic tips. Not tried better constructed soft points

Squirrels: just make contact and all over. Some do make squirrel pate…

Corvids: most of my shooting is on area that is managed for pheasant shooting and sheep farming. Corvids are not popular with game keepers or sheep farmers.

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 09:24
OK Scrumbag, I'm gonna make some assumptions based on the rifle, that your farthest shot is probably 400yds at a critter about the size of a groundhog or a little smaller (don't know what a Corvid is). I think the 3-9X40 would be OK, but would be happier with something around 3-5 power on the low end, and 14-20 power on the high end with a 50mm objective for low light. That said glass quality trumps magnification, especially for low light.
Since your in that neck of the woods, you might check out some of the European scopes, but I don't know what your budget is.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 09:30
If you can find a 4.5-14x Conquest somewhere, that sounds ideal - especially if you can get one with the Z-600 reticle.
Although personally I am quite content with existing explosives, I feel we must not stand in the path of improvement. -Winston Churchill
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 09:32
This would be good, too:

Riflescopes

Zeiss 2-10x42 Conquest HD5 Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Product Grading Information

DEMO A: Like New In Box
DEMO B: Shows Very Slight Wear From Use
DEMO C: Shows Obvious Signs of Use
 $579.95

Zeiss 2-10x42 Conquest HD5 Rifle Scope DEMO-B

Stock # - SPL21312
Add to Wishlist

Zeiss 2-10x42 Conquest HD5 New Price: $949.95
Manufacture Part#:522611-9981 
Reticle: Rapid-Z 600
Finish: Matte
Tube Diameter: 1"
Standard Hunting Turret
2nd Focal Plane
DEMO-B
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 09:37
I'm with Deck on both of his suggestions. I have the Zeiss Conquest in 4.5-14X50 with the Z-plex reticle and it is one of my favorite scopes, and would be a great varmint scope.
Scrumbag View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scrumbag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 10:00
Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I'm with Deck on both of his suggestions. I have the Zeiss Conquest in 4.5-14X50 with the Z-plex reticle and it is one of my favorite scopes, and would be a great varmint scope.

Yes that does seem a good suggestion.

Minox and Meopta doing anything similar?

Corvids = crow family...

Do like my Meopta 6-24 but not convinced I want to spend that kind of money on a scope right now...
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 10:26
Either of these would work well, if 1" tube is ok:

Meopta 4-12x50 MeoPro Rifle ScopeMeopta 4-12x50 MeoPro Rifle Scope
Stock # - MEO524390
  • Matte
  • 1"
$599.95
Meopta 4-12x50 MeoPro Rifle ScopeMeopta 4-12x50 MeoPro Rifle Scope
Stock # - 537910
  • Matte
  • BDC
  • 1"
$649.95

If you want a 30mm tube, the MeoStar R1 line has a 3-12x56 that would work well, but it's several hundred dollars more.  According to the MeoStar reps at SHOT, the glass between the two is the same, with the only difference being the more advanced coatings on the MeoStar R2
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 11:50
Hi Scrumbag, The Vortex Viper does very well in low light.
It has 'better than price point suggests' glass and good glass trumps magnification.
You get both with the Vortex Viper.
--Thomas Jefferson

DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 11:58
Bud's right.  I have a Vortex Viper (not the PST) in 4-16x44 and it's great - though not as good as the Conquests and Meoptas I mentioned previously.  It's still a really good scope for the money.
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2016 at 13:16

Visit the Ed Show
Peddler View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peddler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2016 at 04:40
Mornin' all.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead.It is difficult only for others.

It is the same when you are stupid.
DCAMM94 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DCAMM94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2016 at 06:11
Mornin' Gents. So Skip, now that you've returned from the show, are you happy with how everything went? Your setup looked great and it sounded like you were very busy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 979980981982983 1639>
  Share Topic