OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Topic ClosedWhy is the Vortex Viper PST so cheap?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why is the Vortex Viper PST so cheap?
    Posted: December/09/2011 at 18:50
OK I'm looking at scopes and these Vortex Viper PSTs are everywhere.
I've seen the reviews they've been getting and it leaves me to wonder why they are so cheap?
Honestly the price has all but scared me away from them. You usually get what you pay for and these are coming in at almost 1/2 the price of others that equipped in a similar way.
I've been debating with my self to give these a try and see or just spend the money on a Mark 4. 
So would someone please fill me in.

Thanks

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 20:49
I would venture a guess they are less expensive because labor in the Phillipines is cheap.
Not everybody likes the 4-16X50's glass, but I thought it was pretty nice, and certainly worth the relatively modest price line.  Some people say the 6-24X50 has nicer glass, but I thought it was pretty similar to the 4-16. 

Vortex has a warranty second to none.
-Matt
prodgi View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/09/2011 at 21:13
Other than the glass, have you heard of many complaints? 
5.9 cummins rocks View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 13:51
Ive been doin a good bit of research on the vortex scopes. I just got a savage 110ba in 338 lapua and lookin at scopes for it. I pretty well determined I want a vortex in 6-24x50. After all my research in forumsand otherplaces and talkin to people on the phone I havent found any major complaints to keep me from buying one. So far everyone says that there costumer service is outstanding and seems everyone likes there scopes and there durably and hold a good zero. I dont own one but believe this will be what I will get that is in my price range currently.
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 14:53
Partially Philippines manufactured and partially all Chinese origin products, rebranded a/o w cosmetic retouches. One step over end low-level Chinese garbage (Bushnell, Tasco, Alpen, Yukon, Ziel etc.) but still not easily retreacable manufacture and basically only deposit and marketing in America, no real engeneering

Avoid. Buy real American, or German. West defense! Defend your tactical defense industry

BTW at 2500$ a Vortex "Razor" series 5-20x50 (w sort of parallax correction) can hardly be defined "cheap" ... and they also say : price 2499$ ... which is AN INSULT to the brain of customers

A+
K

biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 15:24
Originally posted by G Kurtz G Kurtz wrote:

Partially Philippines manufactured and partially all Chinese origin products, rebranded a/o w cosmetic retouches. One step over end low-level Chinese garbage (Bushnell, Tasco, Alpen, Yukon, Ziel etc.) but still not easily retreacable manufacture and basically only deposit and marketing in America, no real engeneering

Avoid. Buy real American, or German. West defense! Defend your tactical defense industry

BTW at 2500$ a Vortex "Razor" series 5-20x50 (w sort of parallax correction) can hardly be defined "cheap" ... and they also say : price 2499$ ... which is AN INSULT to the brain of customers

A+
K

Might wish to get your facts straight before posting on this board.....
The people here don't take kindly to those that wish to spout off without really knowing what they are talking about.

Edited by biggreen747 - December/10/2011 at 15:25
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 17:33
Originally posted by 5.9 cummins rocks 5.9 cummins rocks wrote:

Ive been doin a good bit of research on the vortex scopes. I just got a savage 110ba in 338 lapua and lookin at scopes for it. I pretty well determined I want a vortex in 6-24x50.

The 6-24X50 PST would make an excellent choice.  It's one of my favorites in that price range (and above) with high power, excellent glass, reticle and turrets.  It's a little limited in travel if you're shooting 1500-2000 yds but works fine for more normal ranges.

Please refrain from posting until you have a clue what you're talking about.
blue109 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 22:06

partially all Chinese origin products, rebranded a/o w cosmetic retouches. One step over end low-level Chinese garbage 

are sure you are from high Asia? or are you just high in Asia?

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 22:16
I had one in hand and declined the opportunity to keep it in favor of the more expensive Super Sniper 5-20x50.  While I saw nothing glaringly wrong with the PST it felt rather light compared to other similar optics that I own.  Im sure they will sell a lot of they as they have a good warranty. I do have two of the vortex vipers that I hunt with and they have been quite satisfactory for that but when you go to a tactical scope you want something that is really tough.  I have a couple of the Leupold Mk 4 scopes but I like the two 5-20x50 Super Snipers better. I also think it is worth the difference to buy a U.S. Optics or a Heinsoldt if you budget will allow. Another scope I really like is the 5-20x50 Trijicon Accupoint although it only has 50 moa of internal adjustment so not a ultra long range scope but should be fine out to say 600 yds.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 22:20
SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope SWFA SS 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SSHD520X50MQ
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • HD Model
  • Locking Ocular Adjustment
  • 0.1 Mrad Elevation & Windage
  • 10 Mils Per Revolution
  • 30 Mils Of Total Travel
  • Side Focus
$1,299.95 
Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 5-20x50 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR232G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Sun Shade w/ Purchase
$1,082.95

US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope US Optics 3.2-17x44 SN-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - USOSN3G
  • Matte Black Type III hard Anodizing
  • Illuminated Mil-Scale GAP Reticle
  • 30mm
  • Low Profile - Rapid Focus Eyepiece
  • 11 Pos Rheostat (Red) Illumination
  • EREK 1/10 MIL Elevation Knob
  • US#1 M40 Style 1/10 MIL Windage Knob
  • ERGO Parallax Control
$2,424.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/10/2011 at 22:20

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/10/2011 at 23:34

A+
K

Mr Kurtz,

You have no clue of what you are talking about.  Vortex Razor is made in Japan.  Vortex Viper and Viper PST are made in Phillipines.

Your crusade against Chinese products is turning into blatant spam of threads that have nothing to do with China.

Please try to restrain yourself from both blatant BS and spamming.

ILya
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 02:50
Oh ... Just done a visit to the Vortex website. From the "Contact us" section:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:

Vortex Optics — Located in America's Heartland

A visit to Vortex takes you right to the heart of Wisconsin, where our friendly ...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mmmhh ... Doesn't look very Japanese, ya? Nor even Philpino ...

Take care
K
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 04:27

Regarding my "not having a clue" I just suggest the interested readers to have a look at those places and create their own opinion

And, after finding those links have absolutely nothing to do with the scopes in question (scopes you clearly have never even seen before) their opinions will invariably form a line behind your "not having a clue."  Were we talking about some $50 pair of binoculars?
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 07:20

It's true those links are general and not specific to this one scope. However the question was "Why this scope is so cheap?" So please notice I'm not saying that Vortex Viper is crap. What I'm saying is they (Vortex) have things manufactured in Philippines and (probably) also in China, at least for some outsourcing.  So THIS is the reason, I think, why they can be cheap (the Japan-made Vortex products are NOT cheap at all)

In the links above - if the reader has the patience to look around - he will find A LOT of products (binos / spotting / riflescopes / red points etc.) which are invading our markets under different brand names and at very low prices.  Than it was - and IS - my opinion that American readers of this blog can be interested to see this … actually I think they SHALL be interested …

And as much as there is no intention to “spew crap” on Vortex (actually I think they are doing a quite good job)  the fact remains that they are not really US-based, so they are NOT in the same league as Browe, Burris, Eotech, Leupold, Nightforce, Redfield (read “Leupold” again), Trijicon, US-Optics … I’m sure I miss somebody … Hey, I’m feeling strange here: me I’m NOT American, to defend American optronik industry .. haha

Take care

A+

K

PS: hey Blue109, U’hr more right than U think: at present I’m as "high" in ASIA as 3950 meters (12,958 feet)

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 09:17
Here is a news flash:
Vortex, like Leupold, Minox, Burris, and others have various lines built in various countries by various manufacturers.  They do employ engineers that design their products, and work with their manufacturers closely.

The scopes the OP is asking about are built in the Philippines to Vortex' (US engineered) design specifications.  This is reportedly the same factory that makes Nikon Monarch scopes.  Vortex does this to save some production costs. 

Vortex also does import some models (crossfire scopes, low-end binoculars) from Chinese OEMs with their logo, just as Leupold does (Yosemite binoculars).  These companies do this to offer a decent quality, less expensive product, that still carries their US warranty. 

-Matt
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 10:30

Thank you Mr. Bitterroot! It seems you are quite well informed. It seems also I was not so wrong after all writing that Vortex take “things” from the Philippines and China. Can you please tell me if Vortex has also some kind of manufacture (I mean DOING things, not just “design”) in the USA - as it is the case as far as I know for the other brands I mentioned? I think it is not irrelevant to share this kind of information … just my opinion

Best

K

Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 10:36
G Kurtz,

Don´t you worry - you´re not defending "american optrononik industry" at all Whacko

You are most of all insulting the crowd on this forum. Get the facts straight first.....

Written by an elderly swede with some common sense left Wink

Gerry Atric
G Kurtz View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 10:42
I'm sorry Mr Gerry: what "facts" I've not get straight?
Of course I don't want to insult anybody
K
Resident Redneck

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 10:58
I do not buy anything made in China that I can find made somewhere else, sometimes that is difficult it should not be.  Yes it is a "WAR" on our manufacturing sector one that our corrupt politicians have failed miserably at protecting our economy from. China wants to buy the US just like Manhattan Island was bought from the indians with a hand full of beads and its working.  

It is probably accurate to say that Chinese products are cheaper because they use child labor mistreat their workers treating them like slaves and have no eihics regarding product safety like painting childrens toys with lead based paint.

However: links to other sites that sell optics is prohibited by forum rules. 
And we will keep this discussion civil and friendly.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/11/2011 at 11:03

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/11/2011 at 10:59
Originally posted by biggreen747 biggreen747 wrote:

A+
K

Might wish to get your facts straight before posting on this board.....
The people here don't take kindly to those that wish to spout off without really knowing what they are talking about.

Your making generalized statements like this are not helping your cause.. While Bushnell imports some low end stuff of Chinese origin they also make some quality products. Many manufacturers (not just rifle scope makers) design and engineer their products in the US and manufacturer them in all parts of Asia as do most rifle scope manufacturers including Vortex. A $2500.00 Vortex Razor as far as I know is a high quality US designed and engineered and Japan manufacturered product that is far from an "insult to the brain of customers".  Based on your other statements here Hypoxia appears to be taking it's toll......
We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic