OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Rem 700 choices

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rem 700 choices
    Posted: December/13/2011 at 19:51
My Great Nephew is wanting a new rifle for Christmas. He has decided on a Remington 700 .308. Use is hunting from a stand and target out to 600 Yd.  His first choice is the XCR. Good taste but a little out of the price range allowed. I am leaning to either the VTR or the SPS. Both are under $725. The VTR has the funky triangle barrel that many have said is very accurate. The SPS is more conventional with more barrel choices. I think the heavy or the fluted 20" would be a good choice. 22' and 26' are also available in the .308. I have not handled either to feel the difference in the stocks. Feed back is welcome. Whats best and why. Time is growing short.  
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
magshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote magshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 07:09
A 26" barrel would be a bad choice for hunting in a stand.  I'd go with a standard 22" tube SPS.  Good in the stand; good at the range. 
Some people are educated BEYOND their intelligence.
cbm View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 07:15
I think that AAC-SD .308 is pretty cool and can be gotten off gunbroker for less than $700.

The Hogue stock looks kind of like a McMillan swirled stock. Look at some of the real pic's on gunbroker.

20" barrel
Pillar bedded
externally adjustable trigger
threaded barrel(flash suppressor,muzzle brake,etc)
stock looks cool

Edited by cbm - December/14/2011 at 07:21
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 07:24
I guess it depends on the person, but I find NOTHING wrong or difficult with a 26 inch barreled rifle in a stand.  Most of my rifles have 26 inch barrels or longer and I have no problems with manueverability or utility.  That said, there is also nothing wrong with a 22 inch barrel for long range shooting.  Extensive studies and personal use have shown that in certain situations, shortening the barrel can, in fact, improve accuracy at longer ranges.  I have an FNH FNAR 20 inch heavy barrel, admittedly have not pushed it beyond 100 yards yet, but consistently performs 1/4MOA grouping, 5 rounds with custom ammo. 
My suggestion is "try it out".  Find what works best for you and use that.  It might be worthwhile to go to a "shooting course" and try out their rifles... most of them will let you rent or even supply one if you don't have one.  Borrow a rifle from a friend.  
Don't use someone else's "comfort zone" as yours when you haven't tried it.  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 07:36
I agree with KB, I would think if your sitting in a stand a 26" barrel would be fine.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Dale Clifford View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dale Clifford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 09:25
I have/shoot both the vtr in a 223 and sps in 20" 308. and for the price are outstanding buys. Both suffer from the same stock problems. The vtr had vertical stringing until all the stress points were removed, the lug was epoxied, and pillars were installed to assure consistent torque of action and stock. The stock forarm was cut for a round barrel and the triangular barrel has uneven stress pts. The receiver is then crush fitted against the stock with the softer plastic of the stock giving uneven torque on the reciver screws. The stock has a cheek piece without the monte carlo rise in the cheek pad for correct head placement and getting the scope low enough was a try and try event with different rings. Ended up with  low Warnes and using a 2.5x10 NF. This gun does not like heavier bullets even with the 1/9 twist preferring the 60 gr vmax. Regardless of the "adjustments" involved the gun makes an outstanding walking varmiter and am looking forward to high country chucks this summer.
The sps needs less work with the stock being already pillar bedded with the Hogue stock. After opening up the channel for contact pts the 20" barrel gives outstanding results with 155 gr amax. with only about 50 fps loss of velocity. Again the cheek is too low and needed the lowest IOR mts. with a 3x18  mounted. Suprizingly the gun looks heavier than it is, even with the scope only about 12 lbs. Both guns have adjustable triggers which you may or may not like. I think they are ok. While ok for a double duty gun, it is outstanding for targets out to about 700 yds. The trigger and stock limiting high percentage hits at 1000 yd.

Edited by Dale Clifford - December/14/2011 at 10:56
I love little league baseball-- it keeps the kids out of the house
Yogi Bera

jonoMT View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 10:52
A short barrel .308 intended for use inside 600 yards will not let you down. At those ranges, the 75-100 fps reduction in velocity isn't much of a factor and the shorter barrel will be more maneuverable. It will also be stiffer, which often helps with accuracy...at least given two barrels of similar make and manufacture.
Reaction time is a factor...
Bigdaddy0381 View Drop Down
Georgia peach

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigdaddy0381 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 14:30
REM sps hevy barrel varmint. 308.

P&Z Firearms , Pro gun cleanings and gun repair and wood refinishing.

Ecclesiastes 10:2
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2011 at 15:28
Thanks for the replays. Looks like most of you like the SPS over the VTR. I had the chance to handle CT's and CF II's short rifles at the Killtacula. The 20 " rifles were more maneuverable and quicker on target than longer rifles. The Shorter rifle is also easer to carry in heavy cover.  I also share the opinion that a shorter barrel is more consistent shooting than a longer barrel. The SPS is closer to standard configuration so to accept a stock upgrade when he wants to make improvements to the rifle down the road.   Now down to the heavy or the fluted barrel. The XCR has the Fluted heavy barrel. No difference in price so guess it may be down to who can ship the fastest.
Thanks all.
Lile
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 04:30
How about the SPS Tactical? 20" barrel and the rubberized Hogue stock? 

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2011 at 07:49
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

How about the SPS Tactical? 20" barrel and the rubberized Hogue stock? 

+1

The SPS tactical I have is a great hunting rig and works great for targettoo.  I just bedded a steel rod in teh forearm area to stiffen up the hogue stock and that solved all issues I had wit the gun from teh factory
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic