OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Need suggestions re a 1.5-6 scope for moderate $$
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Need suggestions re a 1.5-6 scope for moderate $$

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need suggestions re a 1.5-6 scope for moderate $$
    Posted: December/15/2011 at 22:44
Like the title says, I am looking for a scope to use hunting deer and hogs at ranges between 40 and 200yds.  Will likely put it on a 30-06 at first, then move it to a 6x45 AR when I get it built.  My budget tops out at about $500, so the premium European scopes are excluded unless I can find a used one for a good price.  Not sure that I would realize the advantage that these scopes would offer.  

Criteria - illuminated #4 reticle, 40-42mm objective,  4+ inches of eye relief, good eyebox so that eye position is less critical.  Finger adjustable turrets would be handy,  FFP might be a plus, as this scope won't be used for precision long-range shooting.  Most of these seem to have 30mm tubes, but I have no particular preference.  Light weight is a plus, as I will likely mount a scope light for real night time shooting.

Leupold, Burris, Nikon and Bushnell all seem to offer scopes in this range, though it looks like the Euro Diamond is discontinued - not sure about the Elite.  I know that Koskin has a good impression of the Hawke Endurance.  It's worth saying that I am looking for dependability and performance, not a brand name - if I can come in under my budget, so much the better.  

Did a search here on the forum re the above, but the threads were a bit old - product lineups and prices seem to change monthly!

If someone has good suggestions re an alternative based on experience, I would welcome them.

Thanks in advance,
John
JohnU
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 07:36
Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R 30mm Riflescope Leupold 2-7x33 VX-R 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU110685
$459.95 
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/23/2011 at 12:42
I like that size scope and run a S&B on my 6.8

$500 is going to be tough to get it all

the Burris Euro Diamond had it but the one I had failed twice with their digital switch
now, the TAC 30 I tested was fine with the switch, so perhaps that is fixed..

they make the XTR tactical

I would personally pick good glass and a #4 reticle over lesser glass and an illuminated reticle.

The 2-7 VXR as pointed out above is honestly about your best bet right now
My brother is running one on his 6.8 and I tested it against other more expensive scopes with bigger objectives and was quite impressed with how it held it's own in very, very low light testing.

The illuminated reticle is well done too.. 

do a search for it here, I posted a review and some pics through the scope
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 18:09
Or you could just go with a fixed 6x-- note the fixed power scopes are tougher than the variables.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
$429.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/24/2011 at 18:11

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 18:15
Or go with a tad more expensive scope, if you want this move fast its a good scope:
SPL10350 Swarovski 1.5-6x42 Professional Hunter Riflescope DEMO-B
Click to view 57026, Matte, FFP #24, 30mm
$849.95

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/24/2011 at 18:18

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 20:30
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic