OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

varmint scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: varmint scope
    Posted: December/16/2011 at 16:57
Any suggestions on a top of the line varmint scope?  Given a shoice which would you perfer?
 Swarovski Z6
 Nightforce
 Zeiss
 Schmidt & Bender
 March

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 17:20
What rifle?  Intended ranges?  
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
dbaird View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dbaird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 17:57
 .243 and .308 Winchester-ranges to 500-600 yards.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 18:57
For varmints, I am partial to the Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 F1 w/NP-RF1 reticle.  I would, personally, explore the H58, but believe it is too busy for my tastes.  It has some intriguing features, though.  I don't think this scope offered with the NP-1RR, which makes no sense to me.  Seems exceptionally suited for that reticle... 

All the others are very good scopes, but I believe the NF is the best for varmint hunting... it would be my preferred...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
tjtjwdad View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjtjwdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/16/2011 at 23:00
I have a Swarvoski with BR reticle, Zeiss with Rapid Z-Varmint.  Both have served me well but I;m using mine primarly on small varmints.  I also have a Leupold w/fine Duplex that has worked equally as good.

The glass in all of them are good.

HTH.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/17/2011 at 05:48
Don't over look the new Premier varmint! I have there LT & Hunter both are outstanding.Also the Zeiss FL.I've not seen a March but I have owned Swaro Z6I,great scope also.

I do beleive the NF is a step down from the rest as far as glass goes but it will hold it's own mechanically with the rest & easily stronger than the Swaro. 

Edited by stickbow46 - December/17/2011 at 05:49
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 22:09
Among those I would probably go with the Nightforce for all the optics plus extreme durability in the field, but a coyote wouldn't have a chance with any of them. I personally like big magnification so I can see them well in the brush from a long ways away. Sometimes I have to watch them from a mile or two away. I get by just fine with a Leupy 6.5-20x or a Bushnell 4200 Elite 6-24x50. I do like mil-dots or graduated reticles for quick and accurate long shots. I also like to use them to range coyotes if I am going to be shooting beyond 400 yards.
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 22:26

For the big alpha-class scopes (i guess that's what "they're" calling them these day i have a Leupold Mk4 with Darrell Holland's HUMR reticle in it, and that same NF that KB mentioned above and love them both really. I do like the looks and reviews on the new 3.5-21x Bushnell HDMR system though. Would like to give that 1 a try sometime.

Steve
woodydog View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 10:05
Hi i have a swarovski 6x18-50 with a tds4 reticle on a 243 it can be set at various distances for the aim points to line up, the glass is very good.
woodydog
ahiaring View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 13:24
Reticle choice might not be what you are looking for, but the glass in a Schmidt Bender Zenith or Police Marksman will be far better than a NF, Leupold Mark 4, or even Swaro.
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 13:51
If its best glass, then I would go with S&B.
If I did that I would get ART reticle from Holland's for it in either MOA or MIL, depending on your preference.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 15:19
It leaves me wondering if by varmits you are primarily after coyotes or prairie dogs because there is a huge difference in what I would want.  If its low light illumination would be a factor.  When you throw out  that quality of scopes there is a lot to consider as far as what reticle you really like.  It also is questionable as far as what power range you want to go with depening on size of varmit.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Varoum View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Varoum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 15:38
I have the March 2.5-25X42 Mil/Mil very fine crosshair.

If you shoot 600 yards or less, Swaro with ballistic turrets.  This could be a nice choice.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 17:18
That 2.5-25 sounds like a real winner.  I've not seen that one, but the couple of March scopes I've been able to "view" have been outstanding.  

3 Tuns View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3 Tuns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 08:27
Originally posted by Urimaginaryfrnd Urimaginaryfrnd wrote:

It leaves me wondering if by varmits you are primarily after coyotes or prairie dogs because there is a huge difference in what I would want.  If its low light illumination would be a factor.  When you throw out  that quality of scopes there is a lot to consider as far as what reticle you really like.  It also is questionable as far as what power range you want to go with depening on size of varmit.

I was wondering when someone would ask this important question.  The difference could be almost literally night and day.
freddie59100 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddie59100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/04/2012 at 20:55
nikon 3-9-40 bdc prostaff i have it on my sx7 243 rifle and im dropping them out to 700 yrds dam good scope
freddie59100
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic