OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Ruger 77

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Ruger 77
    Posted: December/24/2011 at 06:12
Looks like Ruger did another special run of left-handed Hawkeyes, so I picked one up rather than wait to see if they do another in a couple of years.  It's stainless with laminate stock, 20" barrel in .375 Ruger.  I'll be looking for a scope at some point, although there's no rush.  Primary intended future use will be to help me avoid being eaten in Montana and/or Alaska.  Secondary use will be to shoot a pig or two here in Texas and to hunt whatever else is available wherever I end up.  I don't know if it would be smarter to have two scopes set up on Warne QDs or to look for one that can handle both angles.  I also don't know if there is a certain physical size range I need to stay within in order for the scope to fit where the mounts have to be;  I'm used to just moving things back and forth on a Picatinny rail and have never had to learn about available mounting space on a tube, etc.

Since it will be a hunting gun, I'd like to go with long enough eye relief to cover me in unusual shooting positions.  I'd think a bold, thick, simple reticle would be best.  I can't imagine illum being necessary, but if it's available it would be helpful for shooting pigs while learning the gun.  And, of course and primarily, it needs to be tough and durable.

Thoughts and suggestions, please.   
biggreen747 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote biggreen747 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 06:57
I'm not a big Leupy fan but I did pick one of these up last summer for my A/R and I must say I'm pretty happy with it. It is primarily designed for guns like your 375 with a long tube for generous ring space and good eye relief for the heavy calibers.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-175-6x32-VX-3-Riflescope-P12640.aspx

We measure it with a micrometer, mark it with a crayon, and cut it with a chainsaw.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 06:57

First off NICE rifle and chambering!

I bought one of these last summer (actually a NIB M8 version) as a back up for my 20"bbl 98 Mauser.  I ended up having to put it on my .270 M70 Fwt for this season when someone needed the scope that was on it (their's died). I liked it so much I'm leaving it on there.  I'd have no worry about making the rare 300yd shot.  It's especially nice for up close and out to 200yds or so.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 07:28
http://swfa.com/Minox-15-8x32-ZA5-Riflescope-P48153.aspx
This one seems to fit the best, for what you describe. At least in my humble opinion.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
coyote95 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyote95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 12:01
http://swfa.com/Leupold-2-7x33-VX-R-30mm-Riflescope-P48034.aspx 
This one or the 3-9 would work well on the hawkeye.
"Life is like riding a bicycle . To keep balance you must keep moving" Albert Einstein
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 15:36
Whats your budget?  If you have a big one, then maybe go with the Swaro 1-6x24 #4 reticle with the extended eye relief.  

The Minox that billyburl mentions would be a nice one as well.

I am looking at building a 375 Ruger, and I think I would personally stay with a 1-6 or 2-10 maybe.  It would be fun to launch a couple rounds out to 1000 yards just for grins, but for hunting, a 6 or 8 on the top end would be more than enough in my opinion.  Let us know how she shoots and post some pics for us to drool over.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 17:20
I have a 2.5-8X36 Leup VXIII on my M77 that is a .375-.338, sort of like the .375 Ruger and it works ok but I wish it had a longer ring spacing so I could move the scope back about 1/4 inch or so. I can use low Ruger rings and they work out just fine. I have a set of Leupold rings for a Ruger with a front extension ring but they are just a little bit too high.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 17:58
For things that will eat you --- an illuminated reticle can be a good thing because you often encounter such animals in low light or total darkness.
Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope Red Triangle Trijicon 2.5-10x56 Accu-Point 30mm Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR22R
  • Matte
  • Red Triangle
  • 30mm
$870.95 
Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope Leupold 1.5-5x20 VX-3 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - LEU67830
$599.95 
Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight 2 MOA Dot Aimpoint 9000L 30mm Red Dot Sight
Stock # - AIM11419
  • Matte
  • 2 MOA Dot
  • 30mm
  • Free Aimpoint Bikini Lens Cover w/ Purchase
$397.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/24/2011 at 17:58

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 18:00
If no illumination I would recommend this as its almost as good in low light :
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Heavy Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66810
$399.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/24/2011 at 18:00

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 18:04
There is much to be said for a 6x42 it has a very bright 7mm exit eye pupil so is ideal in low light. If you shoot longer distances there is one with a balistic reticle  also but for low light the heavy duplex is nice I had one and zeroed it at 200 yds and hunted it for a year - great scope.
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
$429.95 

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - December/24/2011 at 18:04

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/24/2011 at 19:53

Some great suggestions for me to look over.  Thanks, everyone.  As for budget, I don't mind spending money if it gets me something substantially better in terms of the context for which it's bought.  If I can spend $500 and meet my needs, I'm happy about that.  If it takes $2000, then I'll take the time to save up.  Worse than spending too much money unnecessarily is not spending what you should have to begin with.  For Swaro owners, is the Z6 going to offer something worth the price tag, or is it just going to spoil me and make me snobby?  Will it make my Ruger seem cheap and unattractive and force me to buy a Blaser or something?  I've heard it's a slippery slope..........

I like that picture of the cougar.  I assume all that turned out okay and you're not missing any important body parts.  I'd love to stick a Trijicon on the rifle, but I can't bring myself to put the big 2.5-10 on something that's designed to be short and handy.  Your take on illum being potentially a really good thing struck a chord, though (or maybe just reinforced my bias for it), so I may make that a little more of a priority.  What's your take on the 1.25-4 Accupoint on the 1" tube?

Can you see up close with that FX6?  I mean, if something's mad and running at you, can you work a bolt and get back on a good sight picture at 30ish yards with that much magnification?

The VX-R appeals to me as well.  Anybody know if they've been banged around on a big caliber and how they (and the illum) hold up?

I know nothing about the Minox brand.  I'll do a search and see what's posted here.  Have they been on relatively hard-recoiling rifles enough to know if they'll do okay?

The lower-powered Leupolds seem to come up frequently for these types of things.  I haven't owned a Leupold yet or any other variable with such a difference in eye relief between low and max magnification.  Does that create a problem for field use?  Or is there enough flexibility in the eyebox that it's just a technicality?

Rings?  Stick with the Rugers, or get some QDs so I can get to iron sights more easily if necessary?  Warne, or does someone else make compatible ones I haven't heard about?

Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/25/2011 at 07:43
If you have any variable scopes set them on 6x and look for yourself to see what you can get. I can get onto stuff pretty darn quick with a 6x but it is geared more toward hunting less toward defense.  The 4x fixed Leupold scopes are not the same quality of glass as the FX3, but the Marines use a 4x ACOG where Army uses a 2moa Aimpoint.  Leupold did start making a fixed 3x in the FX2 line but its a standard duplex not the heavy duplex which it should be for a dangerous game rifle but its long enough for long cartridges.  The thing about a 6x is that when you do get past 200 yds you still have enough scope. If this is really only for short distances under 200 I would probably put the Aimpoint on it because it has unlimited eye relief, the down side is they appear slightly darker than clear glass due to their coatings. The up side is you can even --  close the front lens cap  -- and with you right eye on the dot and left eye on the target you will automatically put the dot on target. Where the dot is the bullet will impact irregardless of cheek weld or abnormal firing positions so the Aimpoint is a solid good choice for defense.   Most Trijicon products are a little more forgiving on eye relief than the measurements would suggest but I prefer the 30mm tube models over the 1 in tube models.  As for quick release I use La Rue Tactical quick release mounts but Ruger uses a proprietary system not easily compatable with others.  I would probably just order stainless 30mm rings from ruger.  I have one set of them on one ruger rifle and one set of Leupold for ruger on one rifle and both work fine but are not quick detach systems. Burris makes an adaptor to weaver for ruger but that is just one more part to come loose on a heavy recoil gun. I'd stay with the Ruger rings or speak with a gunsmith about mounting a picatinny rail.  I would have mentioned the 1-4 Trijicon 30mm tube but it does not have as much eye relief as the 2.5-10x56 does. Do give some thought to the 2.5-10 because it will be at a 7mm exit eye pupil at 8x and at 10x still at 5.6mm which is dam bright.  I know its a big scope but probably would be my first choice because it gives you so much flexability at 2.5x it will be ultra fast on target and at 10x you can place your shot carefully for those hunting occasions where you have time.  The one inch tube 1.25-4 is not a straight tube not sure if it would work or not and is an older style than the 30mm version.  The other option is to stay with open sights on a dangerous game gun but honestly the aimpoint  and the Trijicon are faster and the Trijicon does not have to be turned on.  One of my buddies has a lioness mounted in his den that came into camp hunting him at night so Im sold on illuminated optics from Trijicon and Aimpoint the others I find lacking and I have several of them.  As for the 3x below if it was 21 mm it would be a 7mm exit eye pupil so its almost as bright as it gets and with a straight 1 in tube with plenty of length.

Leupold 3x20 FX-II Riflescope
Leupold 3x20 FX-II Riflescope
Stock # - LEU000320
$304.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/26/2011 at 01:52
That was a great follow-up, and I really appreciate it.  I'll take a hard look at the Trijicons and the Aimpoints, and I'll check out what I can do at 6X on another scope.  Hope your Christmas went well.  Wish me luck.
Stevey Ducks View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stevey Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 01:21
I am walking into unknown territory with Trijjicons & Aim Points but my impression is that they are intended as close range battle sights.

I have a number of Ruger M77's and for me, this is my impression and this no doubt might be subject to disagreement is that M77 stocks (markedly different than AR types) for these rifles work best with low rings - scopes can be mounted low and the rifle points well. I have used Ruger rings for years and after a quick lapping job they all have worked perfectly.

More impressions that could be controversial are that the Burris Weaver to Ruger adaptor is an awkward arrangement having many rough edges and opposing clamping screws that might shoot loose also regular Weaver rings won't work on them but Burris ZEE's do and scopes using the adaptor bases can't be mounted as low as the Ruger low rings. .375's are accurate and with 250 - 270 gr. bullets and they are relatively flat shooting and how would the giant glowing dot that might cover over a foot at 300 yds work for precision shooting? A lighted reticle would help in dark situations but would not make the scope brighter.

My choice would be high quality low power variable possibly up 3-9 or fixed 4X having a tube long enough to adjust for proper eye relief. I have used 6X scopes under 25 yds but would much more have something less than 4X and when it is really cold the power adjust ring on some scopes is diificult to turn. How about a 4X, 1 inch tube scope with a lighted reticle.

The cougar photo is hard to describe. A guy who I varmint hunted with called a cougar up when coyote hunting and killed the cougar with a .204 Ruger probably close enough so only fur was showing through his variable power 6-18 power sight. Another story involved an African lion that attacked a hunter who was holding a M77 at port arms and the lion's clawed paw swipe snagged the scope mounted with Ruger rings and ripped it off the rifle. 
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 07:43
Yes and no on the Trijicons and Aimpoints as close range battle sights.  The Aimpoints can be mounted as high or low as you want them, and they make them in a longer, scope-like configuration designed for hunting rifles.  Trijicon makes the Accupoint line of hunting scopes that can sit well in the Ruger rings, and they're high-quality scopes designed for hunting.  The Trijicons that are probably coming to mind for you are the fixed-power combat sights that are designed primarily for military rifles and wouldn't fit in Ruger rings.  You'd have to have someone install a rail, and then they'd probably sit too high.  The tritium dots on the Accupoints subtend 0.4 MOA at max magnification IIRC, so it's no trouble to shoot longer distances with them;  they don't obscure much.

I'm not familiar with the Weaver-to-Ruger adaptor, but it doesn't sound like something that would give me confidence in the system based on your description.  I think I'll stick with either the Ruger rings or the Warne QD, unless I run across something better.

I keep trying to convince myself to go with a relatively low-powered, fixed mag scope like the one you described (as have others), but I have a nagging feeling I won't like it.  I've tried them in the past and never could get used to them;  I like to be able to turn the view up if I want to.  Because of that, I'm leaning strongly towards a 2-7 or the Swaro 1-6 or 1.7 to 10 if I can convince myself to shell out that kind of money.  I'm taking a hard look at the Accupoints again, although I'm not sure they have the eye relief I want.

tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 09:09
I have a 1.5-5x20 Leupold and think that scope is a perfect fit for a short barrelled .375. The heavy duplex would be a big help in low light and this model has been proven to be very durable. It has a lot of eye relief and the eye box is huge.
Doug
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 19:10
That seems to be a popular recommendation, and it's on my short list also.  I think for its intended purpose, I'm going to have to reconcile myself to the idea of less magnification than I normally like.  It does seem like a good fit.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 19:13
I have an Aimpoint, and while you can shoot at 300 yards with it, I personally would not recommend it for a flat out hunting rig if you have to shoot that far.   The trajectory numbers I have seen on the 375 Ruger (a reason I am considering that round) makes it a 400-500 yard round.  I would recommend a lower (1-5, 1-6) to medium power (2-7, 3-9) or a good fixed power (4,6) scope.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 20:00
Helo, which load are you looking at using?  Seems like people are getting good results with the 235 gr Barnes bullets, and reviews of the standard Hornady 270 gr have been pretty good as well. 
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/27/2011 at 20:09
Additionally, I saw you're a satisfied Swaro owner, and I'm considering the jump.  Would you see the 1-6 and the 1.7-10 as good choices?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic