OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

I have Leupold VX-6 2-12X42mm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brazos_Jack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 03:31
I'll be keeping a close eye on both this thread and the one here:

I have 3 rifles in need of scopes. An '06, a .338 Win Mag, and a .22-250. I already have 3 Swaro Z6i's on other rifles that I either bought used or as demo models. I'd been planning to just wait for other Z6i used/demo deals to  come my way. Before I got the Swaro's, I'd always been 100% Leupy.

I don't expect a sub $1000 Leupy to outmatch a $2000+ Swaro. But if the new VX-6's are as good as the buzz I'm hearing I may jump on a pair of 2-12x for the '06 and .338 and wait for a 3-18x50 for the .22-250. Then I'll spend what I save on primers.

Brazos Jack

...there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.

- James Madison
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 09:52
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

Supertool, If I don't get my hands on some 30mm rings very soon, I may send it to you to look over and put through the paces against some of the good stuff you have.  I honestly wouldn't care if you mounted it and shot it to test tracking, etc.  I really don't have any biases, and I'd like to get some experienced guys to evaluate it.  I sent it to a guy already to get his opinion on how it compares to his Diavari, Kahles, Swaro z3, and a couple of Conquests.   I really like the 20MOA in one turn of the CDS dial though.   

Well if you decide you want to do that, I would be more than happy to tinker with it a bit.  Big Smile  I have the Z6, a Meopta, a couple SWFA SS scopes, a Sightron Big Sky, Bushnell 4200, and IOR.  I could even mount it on my precision rifle to box test it. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
M1 Tracker View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1 Tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 09:10
This is my 1st real post. Just thought I would give my view since I just purchased a vx6. I have wanted a z6 2-12 since their arrival, but for me 2k is to much. I replaced my z3 4-12 on my go to hunting rifle with the vx6, the main reason was the versatility sealed the deal. I find myself hunting all over from thick woods to wide open areas. I will admit the z3 has slightly better glass but not by much for my eyes. I do own other scopes such as conquest, minox, vxll and nikon and the vx6 is better than all of them. The total package that the vx6 brings to the table is just what i wanted and after sighting it in i have to say this is probably the best purchase of a scope i have ever made. 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 10:44
I have gotten some initial feedback from my friend who is comparing my VX6 to his Diavari, Swaro Z3, and Conquest.  His initial thoughts are that the Diavari has superior glass.  The VX6 has superior glass than the Conquest, and the VX6/Z3 could be considered a draw.  The FOV/eyebox, and eye relief champ is the VX6, and it's not even close.  I'll get some more intel shortly! Smile

Hey M1, how did your VX6 track?  Was it easy to get dialed in?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1 Tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 11:14
I did not do a box test. Just the normal sighting in with no problems and yes very easy to get dialed in. I did work the knobs a couple of turns before I sighted in. I'm sure it would pass a box test with flying colors. After sighting in i went to testing some new ammo i had purchased. Of which 2 shot consistently under .5 moa ( 3 shot groups). Also had a 6 shot group of .57 with berger vld. Needless to say I am very pleased with the vx6 so far. 
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 11:14
Thanks for the review. Sounds likee the cost difference between the two may be enough to justify the minimal difference in clarity. How is the low light capability? I had read that swaro claims > 90% light transmition, and leupold is claiming 98%. So im wondering if the smaller objective really isnt hindering anything.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 14:03
I aways take those light transmission figures from the manufacturers with a grain of salt.  The means for testing, etc is all over the board and varies from one mfg to another.  Bushnell says the Elite 4200 is the brightest scope in the world.  it is very bright, but I had a S&B Summit that was brighter.  
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 16:06
I guess the op disappeared...........
djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 17:50
Pump and dump??? Mine is on backorder :( Any more word from your buddy?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 20:29
He said he wanted to keep it another few days because he wanted to mount it to test tracking.  It's raining today and tomorrow over there so it may be another few days before he gets to do that.  No harm in not having Diavari glass in a scope that costs less than half.  Glass is excellent and FOV and eyebox is super good. 
bwilliams1848 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilliams1848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 20:43
What reticle did you get? I'm seriously thinking about getting the illuminated duplex version. This scope seems to be drawing me back to Leupold. Do you think the glass is better than the Meopta Meostar line?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 08:40
I consider the glass in the Meopta and Conquest to be virtually the same, granted I haven't spent more than maybe an hour with a Meopta, and I own the Conquest, but that's how I saw it.  The VX6 is clearly better than my Conquest, and my buddy says the same in comparison to his.  Sorry I can't be more help. 
bwilliams1848 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwilliams1848 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 20:24
I'm going to put this scope on a CVA Apex. I have a set of the deadnutz 30mm rings (high). I was wondering if there would be a better alternative that would mount the scope lower to the barrel. Any suggestions?
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 21:42
I'm clueless on muzzleloaders
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1 Tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/27/2012 at 22:40
I have a warne base and warne meduim rings on my TC with a 40mm vx3. You can also get weaver style bases for the cva. My vx6 is also mounted in warne meduim rings on a Tikka. Warne web site offers ring height charts that have been helpful for me.
Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings Warne Maxima Permanent Attach 30mm Rings
Stock # - 214M2
  • Matte
  • Medium
$44.95 < id="ctl00_wpm_CategoryGrid_ctl04_ProductList_ctl06_Price_VS" name="ctl00$wpm$CategoryGrid$ctl04$ProductList$ctl06$Price$VS" value="SZhsbbxzUhw1W752JHwdgGlHXr243PtNbwuPKse54OztYrskGYD5+UQw4p2V9HF8" ="">

Warne Maxima 2 Piece Base Warne Maxima 2 Piece Base
Stock # - M980980M
  • CVA - All Round Barrell Models
  • Remington Genesis Muzzleloader
  • Traditions Round Barrel
  • Winchester Apex Muzzleloader
  • Winchester X-150
  • Matte

$24.95
Smileydawg1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smileydawg1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 21:18

Update.  Sorry for the delay.  It's been crazy since SHOT Show.  Here's the link to part 2 of my review.  Full review coming soon.

http://lockedandloadedwithcarduccitactical.com/2012/01/30/leupold-vx-6-review-best-scope-for-the-money/

"In comparison to all of my high-end European scopes, the optical quality of this scope is the best I have ever seen." 

That is a bold statement…huh?  Well the VX-6 is a bold offering by Leupold.  This scope is a game changer.  The VX-6  is exactly what people have been wanting, expecting and demanding from Luppy.  The scope is not another optic in their line with a different name and some added features. The VX-6 is a new scope with new glass and new technology -that is why they are slowly being distributed.

So let me answer some questions…for those of you lucky enough to be are in the market for a scope you will not be disappointed in the VX-6.

Let me start by saying comparing scopes is one of the best ways to convey the optical quality, mechanics and the overall experience using nothing but words. Chances are people have used or own one of the scopes you state as being Better, Same or Worse. It is also fun and some people will agree and others disagree. I try to compare apples to apples whenever possible and I am not talking about price in this example. Rather size of objective and magnification range.

SmileyDawg:  You said:

"In comparison to all of my high-end European scopes, the optical quality of this scope is the best I have ever seen." 

Can you please elaborate?   Which "high-end European scopes" do you have?    When I consider high-end I would consider the Swarovski Z6 line, the Zeiss Victory T* FL line, and the Schmidt and Bender.   Are you saying that these Leupold scopes are comperable to those European scopes or do we have a different view of "high-end"?

We have a similar view of high-end European scopes.  I may differ from you though in my belief that a scope doesn’t have start with a 3, to qualify as high end. The scopes you listed are 3K+ especially the models with illumination. The Leupold VX-6 is under 1K.

When I get a scope I look it over and spend quiet some time examining the features, glass and reticle.  Then, if justified, I break-out the Kahles, Zeiss and Swarovski’s for comparison.  Keep in mind that at times I can tell the optical quality of the scopes is not even close to the higher end models so no comparison is needed.  In the past when I have reviewed scopes, they have been close to my higher-end European models, but none have exceeded or matched.

In my initial product investigation, I noticed a higher optical quality with the VX-6 than compared to Kahles CL 3-9x42mm, CSX 3-12x56mm, Conquest 3.5-10x50mm scopes. With true daytime illumination, a foot of constant eye relief and the eye box forgiveness of a Swarovski Z6 EE, you get an outstanding scope from Leupold. 

Is the optical qualify of the Leupold VX-6 better than the Swarovski Z6? (2-12x50mm) It is damn close. The VX-6’s eye relief of a constante true 4” thru 2 to 12X is superior to the Z6 and at  about one-quarter of the cost - at just under $1,000 - that is damn impressive.

Does this mean it is better than a z3, z5, z6? Better than Z3, not enough experience with the Z5 to say.  The Z6 and the VX-6 are close in comparison,

What European optics do you have?  I own a Kahles CSX 3-12x56mdddm, Kahles CL 3-9x42mm, CL 4 – 12 x 52mm,  Zeiss ConqueI own a Kahles CSX 3-12x56mm, Kahles CL 3-9x42mm, CL 4 – 12 x 52mm,  Zeiss Conquest 3.5 – 10x44mm  Rifle

djp0623 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djp0623 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 22:43
Thanks for the update! I cant wait until mine is no longer on backorder. :(
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:07
is the actual sight picture to the eye a larger image on the Z6 or the VX6...typically leupolds even on the same mag, the overall image is a smaller circle prob because the occular is smaller
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M1 Tracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:36
I had a similar question on another brand of lower power, it's a 1.5 and it seems to be a smaller image than my naked eye.( really disapointing) I don't have the z6, but i do have a z3 4-12 and on 2x the vx6 seems almost as large as the z3 on 4x. I also have several other scopes in 3-9 and to my eyes the vx6 on 2x is equal to or larger than them on 3x.
308WIN View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 308WIN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/03/2012 at 10:50
adjust the diopter....it can really make a difference on how big the image is
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic