OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

New Zeiss Conquest Duralyt Line

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 22:06
I really prefer the 30 mm tube scopes primarily because they tend to have more internal adjustment.  I also find that 30mm allows me to use some of the strongest styles of rings.  Does it bother me that you like 1 inch tubes - not at all.  As you move into scopes with tactical knobs a lot more are 30mm than 1 inch when you are not planning to dial in correction 1 inch tubes are usually adequate.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Digit View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/03/2012 at 22:26
Personally I have found the construction of the duralyts to have a cheap plastic feel to it.
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 03:38
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

No offense, but I don't give a ratsazz what's useful to you when considering what I like. 

On the contrary, your posting history here and elsewhere clearly shows you care a great deal what others think and that they agree with your disdain for 30mm tubes.

I am merely pointing out if you could make a logical argument which highlighted functional advantages (besides 0.3 oz of weight) to support your choice, you may be more successful in finding people to jump in line with your beliefs.
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 09:20
Keep it civil fellas.
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 09:58
I have tried both the 2-8x42 and the 1,5x5x36 Duralyt on my 375 Ruger here in Norway.

The 2-8x42 was NOT clear out to the egde, and the shop agreed and gave me the 1,5-5x36 instead as this was the only other scope they had in stock.

This one was crystal clear and went with me to Namibia in April last year.
It worked fine, but beeing a great fan of the no 4 reticle, I did find the no 6 to be a bit to fine for my liking.

After the moose season was over, a younger friend (with better eyes Wink) bought the scope from me.
All in all, I was very pleased with the second scope and had it had the no1 or no 4 reticle, it would have been a keeper.

A word of coution, a few scopes with the same flaws that I experienced turned up here in Norway and this was discussed in length on a hunting and shooting site here.
I did look like  the QC on this scopes was not up to par.
A bit surprising, as Zeiss as such usually stands for quality from A to Z.

Seawolf
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 10:18
what a great picture!! beautiful animal, and a beautiful rifle!Excellent
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 10:30
I concur with Seawolf, the Duralyts did have a bad time when introduced in Sweden also, the lack of clarity from edge to edge was/is the main problem as discussed at swedish hunting fora. I have looked through 2 of the 3-12x50 and it was the same clarity problem.

One question:
Why the "Zeiss Conquest Duralyt" name when there´s already an existing "Zeiss Duralyt" ?
Is there a difference between the two Duralyts ?

Gerry Atric
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 12:23
Zeiss Duralyt up to now has not been available in the US.

Here, Conquest is the mid-range line from Zeiss, so they are adding Duralyt scopes to it.

ILya
Gerry Atric View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Atric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 18:49
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Zeiss Duralyt up to now has not been available in the US.

Here, Conquest is the mid-range line from Zeiss, so they are adding Duralyt scopes to it.

ILya

For us "outsiders" (up to now) Zeiss Conquest has (bar one scope) meant:

Assembled in USA
1/4 clicks
1" tube (3-12x50 MC is 30 mm)
reasonable prized for what you get

Zeiss Conquest Duralyt is:

Assembled in Germany
10 mm clicks
30 mm tube
reasonably prized ?

Maybe it´s only me but I think it´s a bit confusing Loco, I´ll get over it......

Gerry Atric

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 19:25
Do these scopes include their LotuTec coating? 

I've been wishing Zeiss would add LotuTec to the existing 1" Conquest series.  I don't understand why they don't include it on their entire product line.  I realize, of course, it would add cost, but I believe the cost difference wouldn't be significant enough to offset the perceived value and negatively affect sales.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/04/2012 at 23:08
The low power is intriguing for a 375 Ruger.  Just not sure about the 3.5" eye relief.  I think I would want a little more than that for a thumper of a rifle like that.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 01:08
Pyro 6999.
Thank´s mate, I hunted hard and long for that kudu Big Smile
Also took a nice black wildebeest, a mountain zebra, a gemsbok and three springboks.
Longest shot 190 yards, closest 80.
The Duralyt stood the test with flying colors, and my PH was impressed with both the light and handy rifle, as well as the crisp clarity of the scope.
(Used Barnes TSX, 270 grs bullets.)

Rifle dude.
There is no Lotu Tec coating on the Duralyt and only reticle no 6 is available.
Still it is a lot of scope for the money and have gained some popularity here on these shores, contesting with the Conquest and Meopta in the same price segment for the deer hunting crowd

Helo 18.
I to was a bit concerned with the eye relief, but it turned out to work just fine.
The Hawkeye African is a great rifle to shoot, probably do to the "classic" stock and as a smallish guy, I tend to roll with the recoil Big Grin

Seawolf
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 01:21

It is always interesting to have input from Europe, Africa and elsewhere. Thanks for the input, our northern European friends.

The Duralyt certainly give us more options.
Doug
JF4545 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JF4545 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/05/2012 at 14:01
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Keep it civil fellas.
        No No        Laugh
Nixterdemus View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nixterdemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2018 at 13:29
Sure, call me thread digger. I'm curious about the differences in the Duralyt & its predecessor DL in 1.2-5[4.7]x36. As near as I can tell there was some cosmetic design, plastic turret caps went to metal & addition of Lotu tec. Seems the specs are the same merely a minor upgrade. Am I missing anything?

That said the Duralyt 52 54 05 came about early 2012 w/DL middle of 2014. Howevah, I've dug up Duralyt offered in 2018 NIB or demo. Did sales drop off to nothing w/plenty of inventory on hand after the DL came out? 

In the Duralyt manual it mentions that the highest mag power would not focus at close range, due to parallax at 100 meters forcing one to lower power. Would that include the illuminated dot reticle 60 as well?

"Please note that with the Duralyt Series riflescopes, a simultaneous sharp focusing of the reticle and the image at high magnifications and target distances less than 100 m is not possible, since these riflescopes are adjusted for 100 m parallax-free. For target distances significantly shorter than 100 m, it is recommended that a smaller magnification setting is used. Due to the larger depth sharpness at smaller magnifications, the reticle and image again appear sharp. Even with longer or shorter target distances, deviations in the point of impact caused by parallax errors do not occur if aiming through the scope is exactly centre."

Any help would be appreciated.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nixterdemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2018 at 13:44
Should have been successor to Duralyt. I find no means to edit after failing to proofread successfully.

RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2018 at 16:11
Hi and welcome to OT, Nixterdemus!

The OT forum is configured so that you need to log 50 posts before your post edit and photo upload options are unlocked. It is my understanding that this is an anti-spam measure.

Until you reach 50 posts, if you need to edit a post or post photos, you are welcome to PM me or another moderator for assistance.

To answer your central question, yes, I do believe the DL series is an update of the Duralyt series.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nixterdemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/01/2018 at 19:59
Thanks for the info. I figured edits were related to amount of posts as would classifieds/for sale. After doing a search it seemed the two conquest scopes were more or less the same.

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nixterdemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2018 at 07:20
I breezed through your post w/o digesting the OT stipulation. 

So, within other forums I'm golden to edit or is there also a numeric value of posts assigned unto full privilege?
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nixterdemus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/02/2018 at 07:31
As long as I'm logging posts for the magic number I'll jump back to the Duralyt. Originally I didn't realize this was OT finding the old thread in a search. 

Why did Zeiss drop the 1.2-4.7x36 configuration? Was it in part due to the popularity of the 1-4x24?Perhaps too close save the 36mm objective? 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic