OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Ilya, I'm Gonna Be In Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ilya, I'm Gonna Be In Trouble
    Posted: January/07/2012 at 08:05
.....If I do what I'm thinking about doing, and it's largely your fault BTW.  I hope you know, I always appreciate your expertise, whether I agree with it 100% or not.  In this case you have peaked my interest in the VX6, with, of all things, a 30mm tube.  Even if I "don't need" the bigger tube, I may wring one out shortly. 

In another thread you remarked about the glass.  After a little more research, you, once again, are right on.  The powers that be at Leupold tell me it's a step up from the VX7, which I do know first hand had fantastic glass.  It's supposedly overall a step up from the VX7 in every way, I was told. 
I was also told the one I'm looking at, the 2-12 x42 w/plex reticle, has a pop up CDS compatible dial built in.  Do you know if that's true? The pics show a standard screw on cover, but I"m told it's underneath there.  Another question......one site shows a 120 MOA adjustment range @ 100 yds, while the VX3 CDS has 58 MOA.  Does this sound right?  As I said, I don't think I'd ever come close to needing it, but is it there?

I hope you know, since this is mostly your fault, I'm going to have to eat some serious humble pie around here and tell everyone I was wrong and did indeed join the "dark side".  Thanks a lot ! Smile
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 09:06
Originally posted by JGRaider JGRaider wrote:

I'm going to have to eat some serious humble pie around here and tell everyone I was wrong

Shocked

-Matt
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 09:10

HEY!  There's absolutely nothing wrong with a little Humble Pie.

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 09:20
N i i c e 300.......I know Bitterroot, it's a bitter pill to swallow, and I haven't even bought the darn thing yet.  I may be already guilty for just thinking about it.  I gave my FX to a good kid down the street, and gave my coonass hunting buddy the Elite, so I need something else.......

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 09:26

N i i c e 300.......I know Bitterroot, it's a bitter pill to swallow, and I haven't even bought the darn thing yet.  I may be already guilty for just thinking about it.  I gave my FX to a good kid down the street, and gave my coonass hunting buddy the Elite, so I need something else.......

I am interested to get your take on the VX-6, JG.

As far as tube size goes, that has got to be one of the silliest things to argue about either way, so the humble pie shouldn't be too bitter...

and if you need to give anything else away, throw me a PM, it is probably time you moved out of that Prominar.

Smile
-Matt
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 09:30
Yikes
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:01

.....If I do what I'm thinking about doing, and it's largely your fault BTW.  I hope you know, I always appreciate your expertise, whether I agree with it 100% or not.  In this case you have peaked my interest in the VX6, with, of all things, a 30mm tube.  Even if I "don't need" the bigger tube, I may wring one out shortly. 

In another thread you remarked about the glass.  After a little more research, you, once again, are right on.  The powers that be at Leupold tell me it's a step up from the VX7, which I do know first hand had fantastic glass.  It's supposedly overall a step up from the VX7 in every way, I was told. 
I was also told the one I'm looking at, the 2-12 x42 w/plex reticle, has a pop up CDS compatible dial built in.  Do you know if that's true? The pics show a standard screw on cover, but I"m told it's underneath there.  Another question......one site shows a 120 MOA adjustment range @ 100 yds, while the VX3 CDS has 58 MOA.  Does this sound right?  As I said, I don't think I'd ever come close to needing it, but is it there?

I hope you know, since this is mostly your fault, I'm going to have to eat some serious humble pie around here and tell everyone I was wrong and did indeed join the "dark side".  Thanks a lot ! Smile

ah, another satisfied customer!!Big Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:02
Not a problem.  I do it all the time.  Bucky

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:05

Visit the Ed Show
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:22

I think the illuminated long range duplex looks interesting in the 2-12. It should be great for coyote and fox. I was already on the dark side so it won't be a problem.

Doug
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:34
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

I am interested to get your take on the VX-6, JG.

As far as tube size goes, that has got to be one of the silliest things to argue about either way, so the humble pie shouldn't be too bitter...

and if you need to give anything else away, throw me a PM, it is probably time you moved out of that Prominar.

Smile

It is so silly it's embarrassing to be honest.  My momma taught me better too. Big Smile 
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:37
Do any of you guys know the answer to my CDS/VX6 question?  A couple of sites, Cabelas and Midway, lead me to believe it's already CDS compatible.  Other sites make no mention of it. 

Thanks for piling on pyro.......Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:52
Leupold says the VX-6 is good to go with CDS.

http://www.leupold.com/CDS/

edited for live link.

Edited by Bitterroot Bulls - January/07/2012 at 12:25
-Matt
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 10:53
The only thing I've seen is a promotion for free custom calibrated CDS dials for VX-3 and R scopes. Maybe that was extended to the VX-6. I am not a tactical scope user like some of our members.  But, those would seem to contradict the need for the long range duplex. Though, holdover reticles should be faster than dialing.
Doug
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 11:15
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

HEY!  There's absolutely nothing wrong with a little Humble Pie.

You betcha!! Yep, Thought So
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 11:30
Originally posted by tahqua tahqua wrote:

The only thing I've seen is a promotion for free custom calibrated CDS dials for VX-3 and R scopes. Maybe that was extended to the VX-6. I am not a tactical scope user like some of our members.  But, those would seem to contradict the need for the long range duplex. Though, holdover reticles should be faster than dialing.

As Bitterroot says, the CDS offer now includes the VX6 as per their website.   I'm not the least bit a tactical guy. I've bee a MPBR guy for almost 40 yrs and it works well.  I did try a CDS VX3 last season, though, out of curiosity.  I couldn't find a good buck to shoot, but was amazed at how easy (no wind to speak of) it was to bust plate sized rocks out to 600 yards with a simple twist of that CDS.  I had a muley hunter this past Nov and we briefly looked at a double drop tined, 210" bruiser at app 435 yards.  He gave us about a 15 second window and I'm wondering if the hunter had a CDS, M1, etc dial if he would have been able to kill that buck.   As with most really big muley bucks, you only see them once, and that was the last we ever saw of him. 
tahqua View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 11:44

I'm thinking have both the reticle and the dials.  Then, if time allows, dial.

Doug
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 11:57
thats what they pay me the big bucks forBig Grin
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 12:24

I'm thinking have both the reticle and the dials.  Then, if time allows, dial.

You mean like the Vortex Viper HS LR scopes?

I agree that is the best setup for actual hunting use in the field.

The Vortex BDC also has windage marks on the main crosshair for dial-and-hold shooting.

Swarovski has a new windage reticle for use with their turret dialing scopes as well.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/07/2012 at 13:55

As Bitterroot says, the CDS offer now includes the VX6 as per their website.   I'm not the least bit a tactical guy. I've bee a MPBR guy for almost 40 yrs and it works well.  I did try a CDS VX3 last season, though, out of curiosity.  I couldn't find a good buck to shoot, but was amazed at how easy (no wind to speak of) it was to bust plate sized rocks out to 600 yards with a simple twist of that CDS.  I had a muley hunter this past Nov and we briefly looked at a double drop tined, 210" bruiser at app 435 yards.  He gave us about a 15 second window and I'm wondering if the hunter had a CDS, M1, etc dial if he would have been able to kill that buck.   As with most really big muley bucks, you only see them once, and that was the last we ever saw of him. 

I used CDS three times this fall. Very simple.
The first was on a proghorn - temp. mid 70's - elevation 3200ish - 302 yds
The second was on a mule deer - temp. 14 below - elevation 3200ish - 414 yds
the third was on a mule deer - temp mid 30's - elevation 5000ish - 212 yds
I worked flawlessly range dial shoot that quick. One shot for each easy and saves on ammo to boot.

I see most of the manufacturers are going to this too bad did not have this 10 years ago?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic