OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Everything ultra-light... with in a budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 20:14
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

An 8lb .375 is going to have some push to it. 

Ultralight tents:

My solo shelter is a Tarptent Contrail.  Iti s 24.5 ounces, under $200, and has plenty of room.  It is sweet.

Nice
Have you used it much in the snow.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 21:20
I had six inches of snow on it, it bowed in quite a ways, but held.  It also stood up to some pretty good wind gusts once.

That said, it is an early season shelter for me.  The late season sees me finding shelter in a nice wall tent with a stoked stove and a propane lantern.

As far as the scope goes, I have had great luck with my little Vortex Viper.  I have also owned many Leupolds, and used them with success.  I have had the aluminas, and liked them better than BC covers, but the magnets came out a couple times, and, like the BCs, they still came open sometimes (especially when getting my rifle in and out of my Eberlestock backscabbard.

Now I use a scopecoat, and like it a lot.  It also protects the whole scope.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 21:25
Therm-a-Rest
Sleeping pads -

SmallRegularLarge
ColorRadiant YellowRadiant YellowRadiant Yellow
R-Value3.23.23.2
Weight8 oz / 230 g12 oz / 350 g1 lb / 460 g
Width20 in / 51 cm20 in / 51 cm25 in / 63 cm
Length47 in / 119 cm72 in / 183 cm77 in / 196 cm
Thickness2.5 in / 6.3 cm2.5 in / 6.3 cm2.5 in / 6.3 cm
Packed dimension9 x 3.3 in / 23 x 9 cm9 x 4.0 in / 23 x 10 cm11 x 4.5 in / 28 x 11 cm
Volumecu. in
Top fabric type30d High Tenacity Nylon30d High Tenacity Nylon30d High Tenacity Nylon
Bottom fabric type30d High Tenacity Nylon30d High Tenacity Nylon30d High Tenacity Nylon
CoreNylonNylongNylon
Country of OriginMade in Seattle, USAMade in Seattle, USA
These are great compress down to tiny and super light plus comfortable.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite/product

Disclaimer: In no way saying this gear is better than any other just, I have used it under harsh varied conditions it passed with flying colors. When people I have hunted with this fall were fighting with their gear I was still out hunting. This may or may not work in a area near you. Smile

Edited by rustic - January/11/2012 at 21:31
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 21:45

I had six inches of snow on it, it bowed in quite a ways, but held.  It also stood up to some pretty good wind gusts once.

That said, it is an early season shelter for me.  The late season sees me finding shelter in a nice wall tent with a stoked stove and a propane lantern.

As far as the scope goes, I have had great luck with my little Vortex Viper.  I have also owned many Leupolds, and used them with success.  I have had the aluminas, and liked them better than BC covers, but the magnets came out a couple times, and, like the BCs, they still came open sometimes (especially when getting my rifle in and out of my Eberlestock backscabbard.

Now I use a scopecoat, and like it a lot.  It also protects the whole scope.

What is the size your tarptent packs down to? I use a three season tent it is a little on the bulky side.
Did you have any problem with leupold replacing aluminas? I have never had to take any accessories back to leupold.
My scopecoat that came with scope is awful tight to take on and off.

helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 21:46
Nice disclaimer rustic.  Guess we have given you enough crap abou it huh? Wink

For a scope, I look for quality glass and durability more than the few ounces of weight savings.  Not saying you have to spend 1000+, but I just like the best glass for the money combo and then for feature for the hunting style and gun I am shooting.

For a scope cover, I have actually gone away from flip ups of any kind.  I use the Scopeshield.  It was originally sent to me by a member here on this forum to test, and I can't say enough good about it after hunting with it in all conditions for the last few years.  It comes off faster than opening two covers.  Protects the whole scope, not just the lenses. 
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 21:52
Gaiters - These are real nice pack light and small. Super easy to put on.

http://www.outdoorresearch.com/en/or-gear/gaiters/alpine/verglas-gaiters-m-s.html

Disclaimer: In no way saying this gear is better than any other just, I have used it under harsh varied conditions it passed with flying colors. When people I have hunted with this fall were fighting with their gear I was still out hunting. This may or may not work in a area near you. Smile
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 22:12
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

Nice disclaimer rustic.  Guess we have given you enough crap abou it huh? Wink

For a scope, I look for quality glass and durability more than the few ounces of weight savings.  Not saying you have to spend 1000+, but I just like the best glass for the money combo and then for feature for the hunting style and gun I am shooting.

For a scope cover, I have actually gone away from flip ups of any kind.  I use the Scope shield.  It was originally sent to me by a member here on this forum to test, and I can't say enough good about it after hunting with it in all conditions for the last few years.  It comes off faster than opening two covers.  Protects the whole scope, not just the lenses. 

The rifles I have are only $400-$500 Tikkas lower end scopes seem to suit them fine. Although the new savage I have on order might call for something a little "higher" up. Of course, the rifle only weighs 5.5 pounds. A set up weighing in at under 6 1/2 pounds would be sweet. Love
 http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11LH

Scope shield is the brand? Might have to go that way if I don't go with leupold... to protect lens.
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 22:16
Yes sir.  The ScopeShield. 

To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 23:07
Recoil pads? My tikka .308 has no real recoil. It has a limbsaver on it there is really no need for it. Does anyone know of a lighter better brand of pad? The limbsaver is quite heavy I did not realize that till tonight when I took it off.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 10:18
Originally posted by rustic rustic wrote:

What is the size your tarptent packs down to? I use a three season tent it is a little on the bulky side.
Did you have any problem with leupold replacing aluminas? I have never had to take any accessories back to leupold.
My scopecoat that came with scope is awful tight to take on and off.

The tarp tent packs down into almost nothing, like 12x4. I did not send the aluminas to Leupold, I epoxied the magnets back in. I have not had any trouble with the on/off of my scope coat.

I use a Thermarest Neoair mattress. I have Kenetrek gaiters that are similar in design, build and function to the
OR gaiters.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 18:18
Sleeping bags - I have a western mountaineering alder mf the specs say it is good 25F but, I have had mine down to around zero or below with no discomfort in any way. It packs down less in size than a nerf football and less than 2 pounds. It is roomier than a mummy bag while not cheap it is a bargain because of piece of mind.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=22

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 19:19

Sleeping bags - I have a western mountaineering alder mf the specs say it is good 25F but, I have had mine down to around zero or below with no discomfort in any way. It packs down less in size than a nerf football and less than 2 pounds. It is roomier than a mummy bag while not cheap it is a bargain because of piece of mind.

http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&ContentId=22

I have the similarly-spec'd Big Agnes Zirkel SL (2 pounds, tiny, 20 deg.) and it has the bonus that you can't roll off your pad!

Those Western Mountaineering bags are awesome also.  Feathered Friends and Marmot also make great ultralight down bags.

-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 21:16
This looks pretty sweet a free standing truly ultra light 2 person tent. Plenty of space for one and ones gear. A bit steep on price might have to look in to can use for backpacking and spike camp.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreek2Platinum
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 22:54
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Ya'll know WAY TOO much about cold weather gear for this Southerner.....Wink

Ever consider moving...South? Big Grin

It has been 80 degrees during the day here for a couple of weeks now.
One of the few good things about this place...

ILya
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 10:24
This is new - 2.6oz wow. I have the pocket rocket - 3oz works great but, going to have to upgrade.
http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/stoves/rapid-cooking/microrocket/product

I use only the smaller pot at less than 4oz non-stick stove fits inside pot real nice.
http://www.osograndeknives.com/Brunton/BNFIBCOOKSET.htm

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 10:37
I thought this stuff was supposed to be within a budget? Who's budget, the Federal Government?
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
ckk1106 View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ckk1106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 14:10
Cool topic.  I'm hiking from the south rim of the Grand Canyon and camping at a place called Indian Gardens.  I'm going the first of March so I imagine it's gonna be cold.  I've been trying to do research because I need ultra light stuff including tent and sleeping bag.  I bought a Marmot Limelight 2 tent.  It weighs nearly 6 pounds.  I'm debating on getting something smaller and lighter.  Any ideas on a good...zero degree...I imagine  ultra light sleeping bag for under 250 dollars?  There's a store near me that has a Kelty light year 0 degree bag for 230ish.  Also I was looking at that MSR pocket rocket stove for boiling water.
I'd hate to get down there and freeze to death.  Big Smile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 14:45

This is new - 2.6oz wow. I have the pocket rocket - 3oz works great but, going to have to upgrade.

I use only the smaller pot at less than 4oz non-stick stove fits inside pot real nice.

I have a pocket rocket, which is OK. My main stove is the Jetboil SOL ti.
It is tiny, and everything you need is included, peizo-lighter, stand, cup, fuel. It's biggest advantage over the pocket rocket is its wind resistance. It also uses significantly less fuel. Taking only one canister is a good way to save weight.

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

I thought this stuff was supposed to be within a budget? Who's budget, the Federal Government?

You're absolutely right, but, like in optics, you pay for the good stuff.
-Matt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 14:55
Originally posted by ckk1106 ckk1106 wrote:

Cool topic.  I'm hiking from the south rim of the Grand Canyon and camping at a place called Indian Gardens.  I'm going the first of March so I imagine it's gonna be cold.  I've been trying to do research because I need ultra light stuff including tent and sleeping bag.  I bought a Marmot Limelight 2 tent.  It weighs nearly 6 pounds.  I'm debating on getting something smaller and lighter.  Any ideas on a good...zero degree...I imagine  ultra light sleeping bag for under 250 dollars?  There's a store near me that has a Kelty light year 0 degree bag for 230ish.  Also I was looking at that MSR pocket rocket stove for boiling water.
I'd hate to get down there and freeze to death.  Big Smile

Hard to get into the ultralight 0 deg. area on sleeping bags at $250.  This is not a down bag, so it won't pack as small, but is still pretty light.  It must be used with a 20X72 pad (standard Thermarest or many other pads), but the design is really nice.  You put the pad in a sleeve of the bag, so you don't roll off the pad.  You also save the weight of the insulation on the bottom of the bag.  You don't use that insulation anyway (you're laying on it).

If you can go up to 15 deg. (I would), this bag is quite a bit lighter.  I had thsi bag for years and loved it:

On the tent, you can do a lot better than six pounds.  Look at designs from MSR, Big Agnes, and Tarptent.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 17:37

I have a pocket rocket, which is OK. My main stove is the Jetboil SOL ti.
It is tiny, and everything you need is included, peizo-lighter, stand, cup, fuel. It's biggest advantage over the pocket rocket is its wind resistance. It also uses significantly less fuel. Taking only one canister is a good way to save weight.

Originally posted by BeltFed BeltFed wrote:

You're absolutely right, but, like in optics, you pay for the good stuff.

I read somewhere the jetboil system is top-heavy and tips over easily? I looked at on line looks to be a good system.

Some things you just can not get by on the cheap. Believe me I have tried learned the hard way. That is why I started this thread. My on going trial and error might help somebody out. I have bought more than my fair share of low/mid/high end stuff and it turned out to be just not suited to plain junk.
happy hunting/trailsSmile 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic