OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Everything ultra-light... with in a budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:45
I love my Kaylands. It is hard for me to find boots that fit my feet. The Kayland's lacing system allows for varying tightness up and down your feet, for a semi-custom fit. I am currently looking for another pair on sale. Looks like they are switching this year's model to Gore Tex. Shame, that eVent really breathes.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 22:04
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

All the boots I have had were Gore-tex, mid height, light hikers.  And by the way, even gore-tex isn't waterproof after a few hours in wet grass.

My first good boots were Merrells.  They fit well enough(maybe a little tight in the toes), were comfortable, not terribly heavy, and felt supportive.  But they weren't even close to waterproof.  The leather was a kind of suede, and it just soaked water up like a sponge.  Gore-tex xcr linings don't stand a chance if the leather is completely saturated for an hour or so.

The Garmonts I had were lightweight, fit very well, and were easy walking.  They were not much slower to walk in than a running shoe.  But they fell apart the quickest- maybe 8-10 months?  They also didn't stay waterproof very long and were hot/didn't breathe well.

The Danner 453's were pretty much the opposite of the Garmonts.  They were the most durable and stayed waterproof the longest, but also the heaviest and got tiring to walk in for several hours on end.  Still kinda hot in the summer.

My current boots are Keen Targhees, which fit great, are very comfy, and are lightweight.  Their liner is called Keen Dry, which works at least as well as any other boot I've had with Gore-tex.  They have been more durable than the Garmonts but not quite as fast to walk in.  Unfortunately, they are pretty much dead after a year of use.  Cushioning is gone, soles are worn, water resistance is fading.

I try to stay in the $130-$150 range, because I'm just going to destroy boots in a year or so anyway.  If boots that cost twice as much lasted twice as long, I might consider them.  But I don't think there is a reasonably light and comfortable boot made that I can't annihilate in under 2 years.

If you are looking for a boot you can not destroy this is the one for you. It is not in the 130-150 range though.

http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/mountain/nepal-evo-gtx
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 22:48
Haha.  A winter mountaineering boot?  I DID say reasonably light and comfortable.  Wink  And I bet I could still wear the sole out in under a year...
Roy Finn View Drop Down
Steiner Junkie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roy Finn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 22:50
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

This a topic I am passionate about. I will post a lot, I am sure, but I am really interested in hearing about others' kit.

Base layers are a great place to start. I have used Patagonia Capilene for years. I still think it is the best poly available.  .

Agreed. I haven't found anything better.

Boots- Meindl

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 23:11

Haha.  A winter mountaineering boot?  I DID say reasonably light and comfortable.  Wink  And I bet I could still wear the sole out in under a year...

At little over four and a half  pounds a pair true... quite heavy but, I know they would comfortable in the right time of year.
Have you ever bought boots that can be resoled? I have had my Asolos resoled twice the uppers just will not die.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 09:24

All the boots I have had were Gore-tex, mid height, light hikers.  And by the way, even gore-tex isn't waterproof after a few hours in wet grass.

My first good boots were Merrells.  They fit well enough(maybe a little tight in the toes), were comfortable, not terribly heavy, and felt supportive.  But they weren't even close to waterproof.  The leather was a kind of suede, and it just soaked water up like a sponge.  Gore-tex xcr linings don't stand a chance if the leather is completely saturated for an hour or so.

I gotta disagree here, I don't think it is the gortex that is the issue.  It is your pants absorbing the water and running into your boots from the top.  Or climbing up the leather and the back down the liner from the top.  Or they just screwed up with the boots and have punctured the gortex. 

I have 4 or 5 pair of gortex boots right now and have had many more.  If I am properly set up, I never get wet feet, ever.  I have used my Danners and Meindls in rain, snow, slush, mud, very wet grass all day long and had dry feet at the end of the day.  Good gators can make all the diff in the world. 

Just as a test, once while we were camping next to a creek, I put a couple rocks in my danner pronghorn and set them in the creek for 8 hours with water about half way up them.  When I took them out the insides were completely dry. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 10:15
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

I gotta disagree here, I don't think it is the gortex that is the issue.  It is your pants absorbing the water and running into your boots from the top.  Or climbing up the leather and the back down the liner from the top.  Or they just screwed up with the boots and have punctured the gortex. 

I have 4 or 5 pair of gortex boots right now and have had many more.  If I am properly set up, I never get wet feet, ever.  I have used my Danners and Meindls in rain, snow, slush, mud, very wet grass all day long and had dry feet at the end of the day.  Good gators can make all the diff in the world. 

Just as a test, once while we were camping next to a creek, I put a couple rocks in my danner pronghorn and set them in the creek for 8 hours with water about half way up them.  When I took them out the insides were completely dry. 

I agree but, I backpack/dayhike year round and most of my boots are not goretex and for a good reason. Goretex does not breath any where near the level of eVent or even just applying water repellent to an leather unlined boot.
True, goretex seems to keep the water out just fine it equally good at keeping it in too.  
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 10:29
In my case my feet don't sweat much at all.  So I never get wet feet that way either.  So all my boots are gortex.  Guess I am lucky that way.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 10:37

In my case my feet don't sweat much at all.  So I never get wet feet that way either.  So all my boots are gortex.  Guess I am lucky that way.  

I find that to be true some swear by goretex some hate it.
People forget that their legs sweat too gravity makes perspiration run down to socks/boots.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 21:03
I have a limb saver and some stock pads
Does anyone know of a lighter better brand of pad? 
BigSky View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 10:11
Great info guys. for me the hardest part is staying in shape so I am not carying around an extera 15lbs everywhere I go.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/23/2012 at 10:28
Originally posted by BigSky BigSky wrote:

Great info guys. for me the hardest part is staying in shape so I am not carying around an extera 15lbs everywhere I go.

It can be a vicious circle. I weight 15-20 pounds more in to the spring than in the fall. 
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 14:44
Great jacket for spring hunting season.

http://www.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?EN/Mens/Jackets/Venta-MX-Hoody#Softshell
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 19:51

I wear shorts. Year round. And the only place my feet get wet is at the forefoot, where the boots flex. Some pairs last longer than others(anywhere from 30 mins to a couple hours in wet conditions to soak through), but at least 5 pairs of gore tex boots I have had all leaked there in the same way. Also, I would bet money I walk more/faster through wet grass than anyone else you know, which may have something to do with it. I would imagine that only an hour or so in wet grass or light snow and walking at a slower pace to flex the forefoot less, you may indeed have no trouble with gore tex soaking through.
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 19:56
Oh, and gore tex lined shoes with lightweight mesh panels in the forefoot are even less waterproof. Slick leather with a good coating of wax over the gore tex helps it keep water out the best, in my experience.

Edited by jason miller - February/28/2012 at 02:05
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/29/2012 at 21:52
http://www.klymit.com/index.php/products/sleeping-pads.html

Way cool design ultra-light and compact.
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/14/2012 at 22:59
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

The Piranta Z is the only knife I carry. I have used it to debone many deer, elk, and antelope. They are great, but you will break a blade or two, so be aware. Be careful switching blades as well.

I used this season and it worked great - no more sharping!! One blade for a whole deer without getting dull.

Thanks
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 10:07
I bought a Havalon knife this year. On the plus side, those blades are so sharp they cut very well. It is also lightweight, even with carrying extra blades.
The biggest negative is that they are brittle. I had no problem using one blade to field dress two antelope and a white tail doe. However, I broke three blades on two elk. It's not fun replacing a blade when the knife is covered with blood and you're wearing nitrile gloves. Granted, on one I was using the knife to do a full deboning...something I normally do with a filleting knife and a lambskinner. I broke one blade on that one. But the other, where I was doing only field dressing broke two.

It's just something to be aware of. I'll continue to use it, especially for lighter animals.
Reaction time is a factor...
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December/15/2012 at 11:14
Jon,

They now offer the Baracuta model, which has a sturdier skinning blade and also offers a fillet blade.

The replacement blades are pricier, but guys are saying they break less in the field. I will be trying them out.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2013 at 21:00
www.kifaru.net/images/hunt_fall07.pdf

Nice to see hunting backpacking gear finally starting catching up to mountaineering gear in the technology of lightweight.

http://www.kifaru.net/KUaccessories.html

I just ordered this one for next fall.

http://www.kifaru.net/KU5200.html

Edited by rustic - February/26/2013 at 21:29
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic