OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Hunting, Fishing & General Outdoors > General Hunting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Everything ultra-light... with in a budget

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 18:46
Water filters - I have used and owned Pure/sweetwater/miniworks/Katadyn and a couple others they all work fine. The MSR HyperFlow microfilter is in a class by its self though. I have used in the cold/heat has never failed me. Super easy the clean no tools required can go a long time with out cleaning. It pumps over twice as fast as any other I have used. On backpacking trips people with me end up using my filter instead of theirs in a lot of cases because ease of use/speed.  Ultra light/small user friendly
  • High Flow Rate: Pumps more than 3 liters per minute or one liter every 20 strokes.
  • Ultralight: Just 7.4 oz. (209 g).
  • Ultra-small: Just 7x3.5 in. ( 17.8 x 8.3 cm) makes it easy to take along even when space is at a premium.
  • Field-Maintainable: Can be cleaned repeatedly for flow recovery without tools.
  • Super Convenient: Quick Connect bottle adapter lets you filter water directly into a variety of containers, including all MSR hydration products and other wide-mouth containers

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water-treatment-and-hydration/fast-and-light-water-treatment-and-hydration/hyperflow-microfilter/product

Disclaimer: In no way saying this gear is better than any other just, I have used it under harsh varied conditions it passed with flying colors. When people I have hunted with this fall were fighting with their gear I was still out hunting. This may or may not work in a area near you. Smile
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 19:31
rustic, save some more weight, and never pump again:

I used the Adventurer Opti all season this year.

-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 20:07
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

rustic, save some more weight, and never pump again:

I used the Adventurer Opti all season this year.

I have an older one that I use in the high country where there is relatively clear water(not murky/cloudy/debris clogged water source). Down lower the water is just too tainted with debris and/or water source is to small/tight just to scoop up in a nalgene bottle.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 20:44

Scary... I have four daughters and have heard them have very similar conversatons...

Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 21:51
Originally posted by Kickboxer Kickboxer wrote:

Scary... I have four daughters and have heard them have very similar conversatons...

It does sound a bit odd. Funny
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 22:39
Hydration gear - I have for years used camelbak mountain biking/backpacking/hunting. I have used other brands that have come with packs(nalgene,platypus,etc.) but, camelbak has always what I went back too I guess just like camelbak my start was in mountain biking about at the same time. I have never had one fail on me. Right now I have 6 different types of camelbak's(hunting/mountain-biking/backpacking/day-hiking/skiing/road-biking)

http://www.rei.com/product/811766/camelbak-unbottle-insulated-reservoir-100-fl-oz
http://www.camelbak.com/

Disclaimer: In no way saying this gear is better than any other just, I have used it under harsh varied conditions it passed with flying colors. When people I have hunted with this fall were fighting with their gear I was still out hunting. This may or may not work in a area near you. Smile
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 17:20
These have worked for me much better than Gel insoles. Lighter, breathe better and no "hot spots" just heat to fit.

http://www.yoursole.com/products/footbeds/

BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 14:11
I'll give my take on light weight field clothes on a budget.
Living close to a military post, with some good surplus stores and a store geared towards the military, I have found some very durable, serviceable, lightweight, and reasonably priced gear. Most of this stuff is designed for military use and is very durable and the newer stuff is reasonably light weight. ECWS Goretex parkas can be found new or near new for less than $100.00. Polar fleece II and III jackets can be had for $40 or less. The new light weight extreme cold ECWS liner sets that are being used in Asskrackistan can be found for less than a $100. If you go to the retail store (US CAV store) you can find the stuff new, sometimes cheap, but most the time high. There is also a good surplus store that has new, near new, and used gear, and almost always reasonable in price, on all kinds of gear.
Is it the better than the hiking, backpacking, and camping store that sells the high end stuff? Maybe not, but I still have and use most of the gear I have bought, it's still serviceable, and I didn't have to take a loan to buy it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 17:13
Originally posted by BeltFedit's still serviceable, and I didn't have to take a loan to buy it. [/QUOTE BeltFedit's still serviceable, and I didn't have to take a loan to buy it. [/QUOTE wrote:

That is my problem with that new Sitka stuff, and some other new stuff.&nb

That is my problem with that new Sitka stuff, and some other new stuff.  I checked it out at Cabela's.  It looked pretty darn nice and I dare bet it is very nice, and I would love to have some.  But the price of that stuff is unfreaking believable.  I will stick with my $40 cabelas silent weave pants vs $200 for a pair of Sitka pants. 

I thought $100 was a lot for my waterproof pants.  Bucky
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 17:16
Speaking of Sitka.  I seen a guy sporting some Sitka camo at the local sporting good store one day.  He and the store clerk were talking it up.

Since then I have seen him around town 3 or 4 times wearing it.  Not even during hunting season.  lol.  I guess if I spent that much on clothes I would be wearing them all the time as well.  Big Grin
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 21:23
Anyone used one of these for field processing deer? w/stainless steel #60XT blades, 2-3/4" in length. Havalon Piranta-Z

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/18/2012 at 21:45
The Piranta Z is the only knife I carry. I have used it to debone many deer, elk, and antelope. They are great, but you will break a blade or two, so be aware. Be careful switching blades as well.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 21:14
I purchased a Havalon Piranta-Z w/100 stainless steel #60XT blades, 2-3/4" in length for $54.00. Seemed like a good deal? hope so.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 22:00
I don't think you got ripped off.

just about any standard scalpel blade will work and they are cheap.  However, the 60XT blades from havalon do stay sharp longer and break less.  They are worth it in my book.

The screws holding the clip on handle have all come loose on my Pirantas.  I don't worry about it though.  I just take off the clip anyway.  If it bothers you, you could find the tiny allen wrench to fit, take them out, locktite 'em, and crank them back in.
-Matt
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 02:21

Baladeo Ultra Light Stainless Steel Pocketknives

Streamlined, super-lightweight knives that offer big-time performance in a bare-bones package.
  • Baladeo 22G –  Made from hardened, high-carbon European 420 stainless steel for lasting edge retention and razor-like sharpness. Its compact design effortlessly conceals in a pocket. Liner lock secures the blade for safe cutting.
    Blade length:
    8 cm.
    Closed length:
    9 cm.
    Overall length:
    17 cm.
    Weight: 22 grams.

0.7 oz - Anyone used these?

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 00:40

Untitled by rustic1988, on Flickr

I weighed everything needed for a 4 day/3 night pack/hunt 29.746 pounds. That is a savings of 3.45 pounds over last fall.

Edited by rustic - February/21/2012 at 16:04
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:24

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

wouldn't having gore-tex socks defeat the purpose of non-goretex boots?

Personally for hunting, hiking, firefighting, and out here in the oil field, I prefer smartwool.

I prefer maximum breathability for my feet, so it is Smartwool for me also.

My boots use eVent. They are Kayland Vertigo Highs.

How do those Kaylands fit compared to other brands? I mean for size. I have had Danners, Merrells, Garmonts, and now Keens. Always looking for a better boot...
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:33
Originally posted by jason miller jason miller wrote:

Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

wouldn't having gore-tex socks defeat the purpose of non-goretex boots?

Personally for hunting, hiking, firefighting, and out here in the oil field, I prefer smartwool.

I prefer maximum breathability for my feet, so it is Smartwool for me also.

My boots use eVent. They are Kayland Vertigo Highs.

How do those Kaylands fit compared to other brands? I mean for size. I have had Danners, Merrells, Garmonts, and now Keens. Always looking for a better boot...

I have a pair of Asolo 520s they work great and are less than 3 pounds(size 10.5) a pair. If paired with gaiters they are good for deep snow too.

rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:54
These are Vasques mixed mountaineering boots. I purchased these a couple years ago and what I use above tree line. They are insulated and have an full length carbon fiber shank and are truly ultra light boots less than two and a half pounds(size 10.5) a pair. Not necessarily a budget type of boot... I think I payed $345 for them a couple years ago. Both these and the Asolos are a super comfortable wear all day Italian made boot.

Edited by rustic - February/21/2012 at 20:14
jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 20:34
All the boots I have had were Gore-tex, mid height, light hikers.  And by the way, even gore-tex isn't waterproof after a few hours in wet grass.

My first good boots were Merrells.  They fit well enough(maybe a little tight in the toes), were comfortable, not terribly heavy, and felt supportive.  But they weren't even close to waterproof.  The leather was a kind of suede, and it just soaked water up like a sponge.  Gore-tex xcr linings don't stand a chance if the leather is completely saturated for an hour or so.

The Garmonts I had were lightweight, fit very well, and were easy walking.  They were not much slower to walk in than a running shoe.  But they fell apart the quickest- maybe 8-10 months?  They also didn't stay waterproof very long and were hot/didn't breathe well.

The Danner 453's were pretty much the opposite of the Garmonts.  They were the most durable and stayed waterproof the longest, but also the heaviest and got tiring to walk in for several hours on end.  Still kinda hot in the summer.

My current boots are Keen Targhees, which fit great, are very comfy, and are lightweight.  Their liner is called Keen Dry, which works at least as well as any other boot I've had with Gore-tex.  They have been more durable than the Garmonts but not quite as fast to walk in.  Unfortunately, they are pretty much dead after a year of use.  Cushioning is gone, soles are worn, water resistance is fading.

I try to stay in the $130-$150 range, because I'm just going to destroy boots in a year or so anyway.  If boots that cost twice as much lasted twice as long, I might consider them.  But I don't think there is a reasonably light and comfortable boot made that I can't annihilate in under 2 years.

Edited by jason miller - February/21/2012 at 20:41
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic