OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Laser Rangefinders
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Ranger 1000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prieto9000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Ranger 1000
    Posted: January/11/2012 at 01:59
I saw this on vortex's webpage and caught my attention. Mostly because i'm planning to trow my scout 1000 to the street. The damn thing can't range deer @ 375-400Yds. Out in the range it was impossible for me to range the metal silhouettes @ +-385 meters.
Do you think I'll have the same problem with the ranger 1000?? Should I consider buying something else
westernhunter23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:25
What I have done in the past is not read the fine print.  Some brands will advertise their RF can reach out to 1000+, although the fine print says you have to have them mounted on a tripod to reach this distance.  I am not sure if this is the case for Vortex but it would be good to know.  I would call them and ask. They are really good and answering questions. 
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:31
If you can afford it spend the money and buy a Leica.  They are fantastic. 
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
westernhunter23 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westernhunter23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 10:46
Originally posted by supertool73 supertool73 wrote:

If you can afford it spend the money and buy a Leica.  They are fantastic. 

+1
jehu View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jehu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 07:50
+++2
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 10:45
You'll also note that the vortex specs mention 1000 yds for reflective targets.  Last time I checked, deer fur wasn't all that reflective.  Not saying this new unit won't work, but I wouldn't expect it to do much over half of it's max stated range on non reflective targets.

For what it's worth, I'm running  Zeiss PRF rated for 1400 yds.  It has ranged reflective targets beyond 1400.  The furthest I've ranged deer is just over 500 yds with very repeatable results.  Haven't had the opportunity to range deer further, so I can't say for certain how much further it would go.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 11:38
I ranged an elk at over 900 with my Leica crf 1200.  I bet the Zeiss will do just as well, it sounds like a good unit.
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 01:53
The Leica 1200 usually would let me range an animal out to 900 yards or a tad further.
The Swaro LRF will range as far as I will ever need for game, as will Leica CRF 1600--Both of them have ranged terrain beyond 1500 yards.  The Leica is faster than the Swaro, and more compact.
If hoping to leave the binocs at home and use the LRF for both then I would go with the Swaro, as it works as a great monocular, and I have used it that was while hunting.
Swaro automatically has tri-pod adaptor, you have to buy one for the Leica.
Currently I have both the Leica 1600 and the Swaro.  I intend to get the tripod adaptor for the Leica and sell the Swaro.  Even with those intentions, I still haven't sold it, and I have had the Leica since spring of 2011.
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 23:13
The new Vortex rangefinder looks similar to the Leupold rx-1000 tbr which i had purchase last year for deer season. Also i assume it will be very close in price. Leupold ran me 399. And Vortex advertises the suggested MSRP for 499. i have noticed that their site prices are typically high, roughly 1004 high for most optics. I am no expert as far as the optics go but i love my leupold. i have used bushnell and nikon and i personally feel that the leupold was better. i have also used a leica 1200, that was a friend of mine's.it is a really great compact range finder, very bright, clear, great quality, just out of my price range. The only complaint that i have against my leupold is the tbr system. It suggests that in order for its drop compensation or hold over to work properly for me ( I shoot a .300 win mag) that i sight my rifle in at 300yds. Other than that i think its great it is compact, light weight and clear. i have ranged deer with it over 600 yds and got a rock outcrop at 956yds this last hunting trip. All in all from the looks and the specs of the Vortex i think it will be similar to the Leupold in almost every way. I hope this helps.
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 23:16
Originally posted by Brad4213 Brad4213 wrote:

i have noticed that their site prices are typically high, roughly 1004 high for most optics.
Should read I have noticed that their site prices are typically high, roughly $100 higher for most optics.
Brad4213 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad4213 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 00:34
Leupold Specs
Actual Magnification6x
Max Range (Reflective)1000 yd / 914.4 m
Max Range (Trees)700 yd / 640.1 m
Max Range (Deer)600 yd / 548.6 m
Min Range10.0 yd / 9.1 m
Linear Field of View (ft/1000 yd)320
Linear Field of View (m/1000 m)107
Angular Field of View (degrees)6.0
Weight7.8 oz / 221 g
Length3.8 in / 96.5 mm
Width1.3 in / 33 mm
Height2.8 in / 71.1 mm
Obj. Aperture (mm)22
Exit Pupil (mm)3.6
Eye Relief (mm)14
Vortex Specs
Range Reflective11-1000 yards
Range Deer11-500 yards
Accuracy+ / - 3 yards @ 1000 yards
Magnification6 x
Objective Lens Diameter22 mm
Linear Field of View315 feet/1000 yards
Angular Field of View6 degrees
Eye Relief17 mm
Length3.9 inches
Width3 inches
Weight7.7 ounces

msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 22:58
I recently bought a Nikon Monarch Gold. I've ranged plenty of animals out to 900+ yards. Haven't had a chance to try to range anything further..yet. I love it. I use it for hunting and long range shooting.
The Dude View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 21:43
Another vote for the Leica...I've got an older crf-800 that replaced an even older lrf-800....no complaints with either.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 22:11
I have Lecia (crf1200) that I've used for about 5+ years now and love it.  Thunbs Up

I had the Leupold RX-IV and it was terrible, over 600 yards my old Bushnell yardage pro was more reliable.
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/18/2012 at 21:22
I think the leica is the way to go
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 07:14
I just picked up a new Leica. It IS very nice, compact and sharp!  Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 08:31
I am working on getting a Vortex Ranger 1000 for testing. It has a lot of features for the price, not the least is how compact it is. It fits the Vortex model of offering good bang for the buck.

If outright ranging is your goal the Bushnell Elite 1500, 1600 rangefinders will range accurately to long distances (like reflective targets out to 2000 yards), and are quite a bit less expensive than the Leica/Zeiss rangefinders.
-Matt
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 10:40
I see Bushnell is coming out with a 1300 series Scout range finder that looks promising.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
sendero7mag View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sendero7mag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/19/2012 at 22:15
The ziess victory prf will range deer at 1000 yards and is 200 dollars cheaper!

TV-PressPass View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TV-PressPass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/24/2012 at 08:49
I own the vortex, and I own a leica.

I'll have a side by side review in the next week or so!
- I try to produce quality firearms content worth watching:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WildGunmenOsborne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic