OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Shooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Best Low Profile Earmuffs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Low Profile Earmuffs?
    Posted: January/11/2012 at 15:37
Historically, I have mostly been using earplugs (custom fitted to my ears), but with a bunch of people having compensated firearms around me on the range, I need to get a pair of earmuffs.

I do have one set of earmuffs for indoor pistol shooting, but they are too bulky to be comfortable shooting rifles.  

Any suggestions for a smaller electronic earmuff that works well for prone rifle shooting?

Thanks
ILya
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 15:43
Koshkin, i have a set of peltor muffs, they are pretty thin, one of the reason I bought them.  They work ok  I'll look tonight to see the model
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 16:25
The Howard Leight ones are not to bad either.  If you shop around you can get them for $45ish.  I have been using a pair for several years and they do what I need. 

I had a Peltor 6S before.  I like the Howards a little bit better. Plus they are NRR 22 vs the 19 of the 6S.

Edited by supertool73 - January/11/2012 at 16:25
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 16:43
Which Howard Leight model ST?

If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 16:45

Howard Leight R-01526

Edited by supertool73 - January/11/2012 at 17:20
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
penguin6 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote penguin6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/11/2012 at 23:55
I have MSA Supreme Pro-X that I wear over rubber ear plugs.  They're pretty low profile and have scalloped bottoms that don't interfere much with head position.  If you turn the volume up, you can still hear range commands, people telling you to duck, etc., but you just get a little splashing sound when you shoot. 
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 12:00
Mine are the 6s behind the head ones
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 12:49
I use hearing protection from the link below, originally Pyro suggested them to me.

They're custom fit to your ears and involves two appointments, one to take a mold of your ears, the second to make sure the finished product fits properly. They provide a list of places to get this done and my insurance picked up most of the cost.

http://www.westone.com/catalog/hearing-protection-products
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
GWOT View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 20:17
I have a Peltor 6S that has performed very well: They are very comfortable, which is important when you are wearing them for extended periods.

Edited by tahqua - January/23/2012 at 22:33
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 22:19
I too have the Peltor 6s. Great ear muffs too me, but not sure how they compare with others.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 02:40
I bough a set of Howard Leight ones since they were fairly inexpensive.  Still can't really use them for rifle shooting all that well.  I am beginning to think that this is just the way my cheekweld works.

On a separate note, I like these earmuffs otherwise and they work well for handgun shooting.

Ilya
donalds View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donalds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/04/2013 at 23:30
You can easily avail a pair of earmuffs as per your convenience from the online portals itself. I personally think that the smaller electronic earmuff works well during prone rifle shooting. You can shop them at a nominal price of  $45ish.
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gil P. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April/16/2013 at 20:01
I used to use the Howard Leight Impact Sport but I found them to be too big for my head and the earcups wouldn't get a very good seal, and that was bad for me when im trying not to go deaf.

Anyway, im am now using the Pro Ears Predator Gold. I like these much better, the sound quality is better, the NRR is 25 compared to 22 for the Impact Sports, the Pro Ears are scalloped and don't get in the way when im shooting my rifle, and you can actually hear where sounds are coming from. I had my brother wearing my Howard Leights once and I was wearing my pro ears and he heard a motorcycle and that they might drive in front of us. I asked him what he was doing because I could hear the motorcycles as well, except I knew they were coming from the highway behind us. It really does make a difference.

The only downside is the price. I got mine on sale for around $210.00 but I see them commonly sold for around $280.00. But hey, they work real well. The Predators are made for people with smaller heads (like me), the Stalkers are very similar (scalloped as well) and are for folks with normal heads. They also make a model called the Pro Tac Slim with an NRR of 28, but have a profile similar to the Howard Leights that you may not like.

I still double plug, even with these high dollar earmuffs. I REALLY don't want to lose my hearing as a result of my hobby, so I bought the best (to me), but to each his own, I know they are expensive.
Easy come easy go

Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic