OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Z6 vs Diavari Victory

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z6 vs Diavari Victory
    Posted: January/12/2012 at 14:32
I'm going back and forth between these two for a new Sako 85 Classic in 7mm RM.  I'm going to mount the scope a bit taller than other 85's I've had cause of ejection clearance issues.   So I'm planning on running a 50mm scope to take advantage of the extra mounting height.  I'm looking at the Z6 2-12x50 and Diavari Victory 2.5-10x50 and cannot decide.  Both scopes non-illuminated.  Do any of you have experience and opinions with the Z6 vs Victory line that you could share?  Thanks in advance.
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 15:01
Optically it's a coin flip.

The Swaro has slightly better power range as you can see, normally I'd say the Zeiss has an edge in offering more reticle choices but Swaro just added a few to their 2-12 model.

Edited by mike650 - January/12/2012 at 15:08
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
Chris Farris II View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Admin
TEAM SWFA - Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Farris II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 15:24
They are both excellent scopes that not many poeple could complain about in any way. The biggest difference that would lean a buyer more towards one than the other has to be the 6x Zoom (2-12) over the 4x Zoom (2.5-10). The Swarovski also is $600 more exspensive, but it also has a little advantage in Eye Relief and Field of View. The Zeiss is a little shorter and a little lighter. The glass in both is very comparable but the Zeiss comes with the Lotutec coating to help repel water. Here are all of the specs side by side.
                Swarovski                                      Zeiss
Price         $2,149.00                                      $1,499.95
Eye Relief  3.74 Inches                                    3.54 Inches
Weight:     18.3 Ounces                                   15.9 Ounces
Length      13.38 Inches                                   12.5 Inches
FOV          75.6-12.6 Feet @ 100 Yards             43.5-12 Feet @ 100 Yards
One day your life will flash before your eyes; Make sure it's worth watching.
stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 17:37
Just to add a little more to the mix,the Zeiss comes with a little better warrenty.Zeiss is transferrable Swaro not so!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Horsemany View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsemany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/12/2012 at 18:56
I'm amazed the Z6 has almost twice the field of view at lowest power.
seawolf View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 09:01
I have been using the Zeiss Victory 2,5-10x50 with reticle no 4 for the last three years on my lightweight Kimber Montana in 308 Win.

This is my mountain rifle wich also see a lot of use on woodland roe deer in in dusk and dawn.
So far I´m very satisfied with the Zeiss.
It is crystal clear, has very good low light capasity and the Lotu Tec simply works!
It is a light scope, and the size really fits such a light rifle.
In other words, I like it very much Big Grin

I have no personal experience with the Zwaro scopes so I can not help with a comparision.

Seawolf
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 09:47
Originally posted by seawolf seawolf wrote:

I have been using the Zeiss Victory 2,5-10x50 with reticle no 4 for the last three years on my lightweight Kimber Montana in 308 Win.

This is my mountain rifle wich also see a lot of use on woodland roe deer in in dusk and dawn.
So far I´m very satisfied with the Zeiss.
It is crystal clear, has very good low light capasity and the Lotu Tec simply works!
It is a light scope, and the size really fits such a light rifle.
In other words, I like it very much Big Grin

I have no personal experience with the Zwaro scopes so I can not help with a comparision.

Nice set up.
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 12:26
I have scopes from both series, but my Z6 is the Z6i 1.7-10X42.  I do have the Victory 2.5-10X50, but mine was made before they offered the LotuTec coating.  I do have a 1.5-6X42 Victory Varipoint with LotoTec, though.

Both scopes are superb, as one would expect in this category.  I'd have a hard time believing you'd be disappointed in either, and if you were, it's unlikely any scope could meet your expectations, as both are as good as hunting scopes get. 

I would decide on which of the following is most important to you:

- The Zeiss is less expensive.
- The Swaro has more zoom range and wider FOV on the low end.
- The Zeiss is lighter and shorter.
- The Swaro has absolutely zero tunnel vision...none.  The image extends all the way out to the edge of the eyepiece housing.  The Zeiss has slight tunnel vision on the lowest power, but not enough to be annoying, and I'm one who hates excessive tunnel vision.
- The Zeiss has FFP reticle options; the Swaro has only SFP reticles.

Beyond that, both have very good reticle designs for hunting use.

Both have good warranties and customer service.
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 15:22
Don't have a Z6 but I do have a S&B and Zeiss Victory FL
both are outstanding glass

I would also through out for consderation the S&B Summit 2.5-10
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

brodeur272 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brodeur272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 16:43
Have a Diavari 2.5-10x50 with ill reticle and a Z6, although it's only a 1-6x24 EE.  I like the FFP better, but the Z6 is going on a 375 or 338 due to the 4.75" of eye relief.  I've compared both at sunset and dark and I'd be hard pressed to say one is that much better than the other.  While I do like a wide FOV, I look at the reality of it as well.  At 50 yards, is the 38 feet FOV of the Swaro going to get me that much better of a shot than the 22 of the Zeiss?  Or at 10 yards, the 7.5 feet of the Swaro over the 4.4 feet of the Zeiss.

Either will do the job very well.  Personal preference on the reticle location (SFP/FFP) and price would be the determining factor for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic