OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Lightweight FFP Tactical scopes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lightweight FFP Tactical scopes?
    Posted: January/13/2012 at 12:46
I was looking around to see what would be the lightest weigh FFP tactical scope that can be used at mid-long range (let's say the effective range of 6.5 Grendel).

So far it looks like the lightest available options are SWFA SS 3-9x42, IOR 2.5-10x42 and Leupold LR/T 3.5-10x40 which all clock in right around 19 ounces.

Vortex has the new Viper PST 2.5-10x32FFP coming out which might become the lightest yet.

Basically, what I am looking for is to assemble a line-up of scopes for a follow-up to my Mid-Range Tactical article:

Naturally, I have a preference for newer designs, so the Vortex looks very interesting to me.

Generally, tactically oriented FFP scopes tend to be rather substantial, so I am curious about exploring the lighter side of things in this case.

Any suggestions?

Ilya
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 13:08
I don't have any suggestions, but I do have an interest.
After putting an IOR 1.5-8x28 on a match rifle, weight has come to my attention. For matches the weight is a good thing, but when I take it for long walks in the woods, lighter comes to mind........a lot.
It's not just the scope thats heavy of course, but it was very noticable over an ACOG.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 13:16
I started thinking about weight when I decided to build a lightweight long range AR.

I am not real big on AR-10 platform, so I decided to stick with AR-15 and chamber it for 6.5Grendel.

Here is how it is currently configured:

With the rather slim March scope on top it weighs in at 10.5lbs with bipod (unloaded).

March is a ~$3k scope which is not something everyone can afford (I am not sure I can keep it either), so I started thinking about other options. 

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 17:00
Nice blaster, Koshkin. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 17:06
Thanks.

It is unusually accurate, even with me pulling the trigger.  With a competent shooter it would be even more impressive.

ILya

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/13/2012 at 17:13
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Thanks.

It is unusually accurate, even with me pulling the trigger.  With a competent shooter it would be even more impressive.

ILya

Does it have a match trigger? I have been running the Wilson Combat TTU unit and like all things WC, it's outstanding and my groups shrunk as a result, when I replaced the crappy GI trigger out of my AR with it.   
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/14/2012 at 11:19
Originally posted by cheaptrick cheaptrick wrote:

Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

Thanks.

ILya

Does it have a match trigger? I have been running the Wilson Combat TTU unit and like all things WC, it's outstanding and my groups shrunk as a result, when I replaced the crappy GI trigger out of my AR with it.   

I had great interest in the TTU until I saw the price...  That, and at the time I looked at it I think it was only available as a single stage trigger.  I seem to have a preference for two stage triggers.

The cheapest decent trigger I was able to identify is the Rock River NM two stage and that is what my ARs have.  All are set up with the same trigger, so I do not have to retrain myself when I go back and forth between them.

I already have enough trouble going from rifle to rifle since the trigger is different on different designs.  Hence I try to standardize on triggers as much as I can.  If  I decide to witch to Wilson TTU, I will have to buy three of them (and I am thinking of building up another AR), which can get expensive in a hurry.

ILya

ILya

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 23:02
I found this thread and decided to bring it back to the surface.

I am trying to conceptualize what my "Mid-range Tactical: Part 2" will look like.

In the first part of the article, I thought the SWFA SS 3-9x42 was a standout scope and now that I have one with a different reticle (Mil-quad vs the original Mil-Dot), I will definitely include it in the follow on article.

I do not know when Vortex is going to have their 2.5-10x32FFP, but I will contact them and find out.

Weaver is supposed to have a 2-10x36, and I will see if I can get my hands on one.

I wonder what else I should try to include.

Suggestions?

ILya
hunterco View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 23:32
Sightron had a fixed 6x available at SWFA, it looks like its gone. 

•  
Stock # - SIII10X42MMD
  • Matte
  • Modified Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • Target Knobs
Specifications
Weight (oz):19.4
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/10/2012 at 23:49
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 02:12
Originally posted by billyburl2 billyburl2 wrote:

http://swfa.com/IOR-25-10x42-Tactical-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P44579.aspx
I know I jumped a bit in price on the U.S.O....

IOR would be a good fit, except I have extensive mileage with three different generations of that scope, so I am not sure I want re-test it again.  It is a very nice scope though.  It is also slightly more expensive than I would be inclined to classify as mid-range: I think I am going to impose a sub-$1000 price range.

Keep in mind that for these riflescopes when I say "mid-range" I mean both the price and the engagement distance.

USO is definitely outside the price range I have in mind.  Besides, I am a little leery of testing USO scopes since in the ones I have seen optical quality varied so much. 

Leupold VX-R Patrol might be an option.  I generally prefer FFP scopes for these applications, but there are not all that many of them out there.

Pride Fowler RR-800 was in the first article.  I do not want to carry over two scopes from one article to another.  Having the SS in there allows for some continuity and it does have a new reticle.

Thanks for the suggestions.
ILya
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 02:36
I know this is a little over your $1K mark but I thought I'd mention it for the weight you are seeking....Bushnell elite tactical 1.5-6x24  @ 18.5 ozs.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 09:08
I recently added a PST 6-24 in SFP to the safe for use on my varmint AR.  I was VERY suprised how light it was.  Specs list it as the same weight for the FFP model.  Next to a USO / SS / Sightron SIII of the same power range the PST felt like a 3-9.  I think the 2.5-10 FFP model would fit the bill for your intended application.  I have yet to put the PST through any testing, but I was suprised by the weight.

Edited by Sapper524 - May/11/2012 at 09:24
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 09:23
How about adding "the new next SS scope"?  That's rumored to be between the SS 3-9 and 5-20.  Don't know if it will be under $1000.

Sure would be nice if a little info on this scope would be "let out" soon..........?
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 09:32
Dang that IOR looks sweet. Makes want me want a rifle to put under it.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 13:27
Those March scopes are awesome.

I want one so bad but I would have to give both legs for one.

I want the 1-10x they offer. Would be the last scope I would need for a long time...... well, last thing I buy period for a long time. Whacko
Dillon@SWFA.com
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/11/2012 at 22:04
yeah,till the 1-12 comes along Big Smile
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
6.5x47 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6.5x47 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/13/2012 at 16:19
Too bad those March scopes only have a five year warranty. That's an expensive paper weight if it fails six years down the road.
I would love to see a comparison of the pst and the new weaver. Hopefully weaver puts a better reticle in that scope than there emdr.
koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 10:47
Originally posted by 6.5x47 6.5x47 wrote:

Too bad those March scopes only have a five year warranty. That's an expensive paper weight if it fails six years down the road.
I would love to see a comparison of the pst and the new weaver. Hopefully weaver puts a better reticle in that scope than there emdr.

I am fairly certain you would get taken care of if your March scope failed after six years.  Call it a hunch.

ILya
dillon_h View Drop Down
TEAM SWFA - Staff
TEAM SWFA - Staff
Woody

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dillon_h Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/14/2012 at 10:51
Originally posted by stickbow46 stickbow46 wrote:

yeah,till the 1-12 comes along Big Smile

You are absolutely right!
Dillon@SWFA.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic