OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Varmint Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

AR-15 Scope for Coyote

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cockerstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AR-15 Scope for Coyote
    Posted: January/15/2012 at 02:26
Hey guys, 

I just picked up a new gun and am looking to be doing mostly coyote hunting with it with a little bit of time at the range. Where I'm at is pretty open, so I'd like something that will leave me comfortable shooting out to 300 yards. I'm looking for something in the $300 range and don't have any mounts right now. I know nice mounts approach this range, so I know I'm going to have to make some compromises  Cool

With my 1:7 twist I'm planning on shooting some heavier loads, but I know I'll be shooting some 55gr. when I'm at the range. For hunting I'll be shooting handloads (probably 62 or 75gr.).

From what I've seen, the Leopold Mark AR looks nice, and love their VX-3 on my .308!

This is local, and looks like a pretty decent deal, although I'm not sure if the 9x magnification is as high as I'd like:

I know this topic has been talked about quite a bit, and going back through a few pages gave me some good recommendations, but not much within my small budget.

Here's the firearm I got, although mine has some MOE goodies on it now!

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Ryan

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/15/2012 at 09:02
For coyotes you will be shooting at distances from a few feet to hundreds of yards probably hand holding the rifle with no solid rest. Target guns used on the range with a solid rest can be used with very high power scopes but scopes that are used for quick target acquisition at distances under 100 yds are typically very low power scopes. I would look strongly at a 6x42 fixed power scope because they will be a very bright optic in low light brighter than a scope that was higher power with the same size objective but still not so large as to become awkward. Illumination is also helpful like a Trijicon compact ACOG but that is way over your price range.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/22/2012 at 08:49

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/17/2012 at 15:10
Wes has some great suggestions.

I would also look into the Nikon Coyote and possibly the Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10x50 BDC.

Vortex 3.5-10x50 Diamondback Rifle Scope Dead-Hold BDC Vortex 3.5-10x50 Diamondback Rifle Scope
Stock # - DBK03BDC
  • Matte
  • Dead-Hold BDC
  • 1"

Nikon 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special Riflescope BDC Predator Nikon 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8451
  • Advantage Max-1
  • BDC Predator
  • 1"
  • Side focus
Nikon 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special Riflescope BDC Predator Nikon 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8452
  • Mossy Oak Brush
  • BDC Predator
  • 1"
  • Side focus
Nikon 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special Riflescope Nikon 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special Riflescope
Stock # - NIK8454
  • Matte
  • BDC Predator
  • 1"
  • Side focus
cockerstar View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cockerstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/19/2012 at 20:57
Thanks for all of the suggestions! I've been talking to a few of my buddies that do a lot of hunting in the same areas I will be, and they all have said that the vast majority of their kills are at 250+ yards, and it's not uncommon to be making kills at the 4-500yard range. I'll also be picking up a bipod, and we do a lot of calling to bring them in to us. That being said, I think I'm going to look for something with a wide range of adaptability to it. 

I really like the idea of having the drop compensation of the leupold mark AR and the nikon coyote special have to them for the 5.56 load, although I don't know how accurate the compensation will be at longer distances. 
I'm heavily considering the both of them (the mark AR in the 4-12, and the nikon in the 4.5-14) or a used VX3 in 4.5-14), and keep leaning to the mark AR.

Any experience with mounts/rings in the sub $60 range?
I just want something that won't move on me once I have it dialed in. I'm not planning on removing the scope once it's set. 

thanks again!
-Ryan
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 08:31
look at the SALT mount from swfa, same as the burris pepr
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 09:19

The Nikon Coyote scopes leave a lot to guess work because the circles are so large precision is not reality.  With a second focal plane scope the hold over marks on the reticle represent a different distance at every different magnification so not constant like an FFP scope or a fixed power.  If you are really out at 200 to 400 yds you will want more power if under 200 you can make do with even a 1-4 but if you are working off a bipod or shooting sticks I'd look real hard at these  the glass is way better than average:

SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
SWFA SS 3-9x42 Tactical 30mm Riflescope
Stock # - SS39X42MQ
  • Matte
  • Patented First Focal Plane Mil-Quad Reticle
  • 30mm
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 0.1 MRAD
  • FIRST FOCAL PLANE
$599.95

SPL13516 Zeiss 3.5-10x44 Conquest Rifle Scope DEMO-B Click to view
5214209972, Matte, Thunbs UpRapid Z 800, 1"
$599.95
The rapid Z balistic calculator on the Zeiss web site will help you figure out what power to set the scope on for the marks to be close to representing known distance for your cartridge.

Edited by Urimaginaryfrnd - February/22/2012 at 08:51

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 09:53
Skylar have you used one of the Nikon Coyote scopes ?  I have looked at them but not used one. What I have heard is that they work better in actual use than would be expected because the target is moving so frameing it in the circle seem to work. The problem that I percieve is that the 4.5-14 version to accurately use the balistic reticle you would be at 14x which is too high to hand hold and would need a fairly solid rest and if you dial it down to lower powers like 9x with a second focal plane your reticle is going to be way off on what it represents and you shoot over the target.
I tend to think the 3-9 version would be a better choice because you really could work at 9x and still have the balistic reticle accurately represent known distances as marked.  What I find in actual use is guys buy a second focal plane scope like these the reticle always appears the same size they dial the power down and the field of view side to side gets wider with lower power but they fail to realize that what the marks on the balistic reticle represent changes radically with changes in magnification. Once a guy understands that it takes some work to determine what the marks represent at each known power.  Example if you have a 14x scope and zero at 100 and line 3 represents 300 then you dial down to half the magnification at 7x that line 3 is now a 600 yd mark not a 300 yd mark.  May be its just me but the circles drive me nuts. I guess if you set zero with a round target you could be more precise.  I'd like it a lot better if they had continued fine crosshairs through the huge center circle to be able to get a precise zero.  

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 10:18
Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Long Range Duplex Leupold 6x42 FX-3 Riflescope
Stock # - LEU66820
$429.95
Hard to beat this one in actual field use. Thunbs Up
Zero at 200 next mark down 300 next mark 400  and 500 wher the heavy part of the reticle starts.
6x low enough power to hand hold it and get onto a moving target.

Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot Trijicon 3-9x40 Accu-Point Rifle Scope
Stock # - TR202G
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot Crosshair w/ Green Dot
  • 1"
$764.95
Illumination for night and  mil dots for hold over just run a balistic chart with drop in mils. 2nd focal plane so half the power double what the hold over marks represent.

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
sscoyote View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sscoyote Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 15:11
I use a Nikon 2.5-8x BDC reticle on a Sav. Striker 22-250 and have no issues with accuracy relative to reticle thickness. Here it is at 425-yds. off calcs. alone (2.3 subtension units @ 8x) relative to my bullet at the chronoed velocity--

Steve
Dakotaman View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakotaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/21/2012 at 21:55
I'm sure we each have our preferences so whatever you really like will work. I've gravitated over the years to a 6-24x50 Millet Gold on my Bushmaster Varminter. The steel plates at 500 meters look just like sscoyote's above (by the way... nice shooting sscoyote). Its a little heavy but it shoots. I have it on 6x all the time as I call or hunt so I can acquire them fast, but will move it up to as far as 24x if I see them out there looking and around and I don't think I can get closer. With a good rest I feel confident of hitting the them in the head at 500 yards but rarely shoot at one beyond 300 yards with the .223.
I shoot 50g Vmaxs at 3450 fps so I limit my range to about 400 yards because those things slow down like pepper in the wind and I don't like crippling coyotes. I do shoot 75g Hornadys very accurately out to 600 yards. They have enough energy to kill coyotes dead at that range but they are too slow for me @2800 fps for every day coyote hunting. When the coyotes are 200 yards and running I have to lead them too much with those bullets. I have transitioned to speed and think I will stay with that. I used to hunt them with a 3-9x40 but didn't feel too comfortable hitting one between the eyes beyond 300 yards. The cross hair covered their whole face or more and at times I couldn't see them in the brush.

I use the same magnification on my longer range coyote rifle; a 25-06 Sendero with a 4200 Elite. It taps them just fine out to 600 yards real well and that rifle has plenty of energy to plant them at that range. The only difference is that I use an illuminated reticle on that one so I can hunt at night.
EAGLE View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EAGLE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 11:03
I hunt alot at night too and found that the Trijicon Accupoint with green dot works perfect with a light, by moonlight (no other light source), thick brush, pipelines, cutovers, and day light as well.

If money is tight and you need an illuminated reticle than I would go Bushnell trophy and SWFA S.A.L.T

Eagle
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 10:06
As you can see there are a lot of choices but if you want to stay in the $300 range you will have a hard time beating the 6x42 Super Sniper.
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
SWFA SS 6x42 Tactical Riflescope
Stock # - SS6X42Thunbs Up
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 30mm
  • Rear Focus
  • OK for .50 cal
  • 1/4 MOA
$299.95

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 12:03
I am in the same boat as you my friend. I am looking for an AR scope for similar use. I am looking at the bushnell tac 10x, nikon p223 in 3-9x40. I really prefer a mildot ret. I love the super sniper scope and actually own 2 but they are a little bulky and I want to keep my ar light and agile. So i am gonna stay with a 1 inch tube. Let us no what you decide!!!!
Dont take yourself to seriously
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 15:25
Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit Redfield 2-7x33 Revolution Rifle Scope Kit
Stock # - RED67085KIT
  • Matte
  • Accu-Range
  • 1"
  • Comes with SWFA S.S.A.L.T. 30mm / 1" Scope Mount & Redfield ScopeSmith Scope Cover
$199.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 18:41
I wish they would put a mil dot ret in that redfield or other variable scopes in that price range. I hate the accurange and bdc ret.  
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:04
Like So:
Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Mil-Dot Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
Stock # - SI39X40MD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
$137.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:27
[QUOTE=Urimaginaryfrnd] Like So:
Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope Mil-Dot Sightron 3-9x40 SI Riflescope
Stock # - SI39X40MD
  • Matte
  • Mil-Dot
  • 1"
$137
This is what i am after. Im gonna do a lil research but I think I may have found my new ar scope. 
Thanks
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 08:53
That will work I have one on a musket but here is a scope you should really consider I use one of these on my AR and love it   VERY COMPACT with great glass and great illumination:
Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope Amber Crosshair Trijicon 3x24 Compact Acog Rifle Scope
Stock # - TA504
  • Amber Crosshair
  • Free Lens Cleaning Pen w/ Purchase
  • Discontinued closeout price
    $599.95 

Bobby Paul Doherty
    Texas Ranger
     Post Reply Post Reply
      Share Topic