OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 1-6X24HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SWFA 1-6X24HD
    Posted: January/22/2012 at 19:53
OK ladies and germs, I figured some of you might like some pics.  Here you go:

It's the same overall length as the 1-4.  Notable differences are the eyepiece is slightly longer and the turret housing is larger and farther forward.

It is a couple ounces heavier but not too bad at 22 oz.

The covered turrets cover "real exposed" turrets so there's no need to keep them covered if you don't want too:

So if you want exposed turrets, just toss the covers, if you want them covered keep them covered.  There's about 40 Mils of total elevation so it should reach as far as anything you'd put a 6X scope on without a sloped mount.

Now to the reticles.  These came with two prototype reticles to see what works and what doesn't, neither of which is exactly what the production scope will have.  But you can get a good idea of their capability:

T-Post:

Circle:

Here's a couple 10yd comparisons:

For the sake of comparison, here's what a Leupold CQ/T 1-3X circle dot looks on the same target:

Here are some pics from the range.  The day I took all these pics was really dark, gloomy and rainy so all the pics look like crap--please realize that was due to the light conditions, not the optical quality of the scopes:

Post at 100:

at 300:

Those targets at 300 are 8" grey bulls with 2" white centers.

Circle:

For comparison, here are pics from the 1-4HD SS and the 1-3 CQ/T at 300:

Again I apologize for the lousy pics, all the scopes looked much better than that in real life.

In actual use, at 300 yds I found there was naturally a pretty big difference between the 1-3 CQ/T and the 1-4 SS, bigger than I would have thought.  But there is yet another really big step up from the 1-4 to the 1-6's.   That's enough more magnification to make a real difference in how easy it is to use.  I haven't had them beyond 300 yet, but with that much difference at 300 there's no doubt the 1-6X is a much better tool for longer distances.

Optics-wise, the 1-6X24HD's are very good.  At 1X they almost as good as the 1-4X as far as eye placement, "looking through an empty tube effect," etc.  Though I didn't have them handy for a side by side from memory I'd say they're as good as the 1-4 S&B shortdot and better than the 1-4 NF I used to have in that respect, but the 1-4 SS does hold a slight edge.

I didn't have any other 1-6's to compare optics on 6X, but when set to 4X and compared with the 1-4 SS the glass is definitely better in the 1-6X at that power and everybody knows how good the 1-4HD's glass is.  I'll have to wait until I get my hands on some other 1-6X's to see how they compare there.

Edited by Jon A - January/22/2012 at 20:01
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 20:04
WHAT!!!????

Wow, that just threw a wrench into my plans for optics on my 6.8 spc build.

Jon, thanks a ton for posting those picks and the writeup. Excellent

Any ideas on when we'll see these on the shelves and how much will Chris be charging us for them? Big Grin
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 20:05
Some nice "looks" there... Like the T-post...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 20:13
Is there a 3-18 as well?
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
helo18 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote helo18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 21:16
Excellent

Wondered if there might be something like that coming.  Now I would love to see a 2-12 or a 2.5-15.  Heck I am sure I will end up with one of whatever mag ranges they come out with.  That 1-6 would be good for my 30 Rem AR or maybe a 375 Ruger build.
To be prepared for War is one of the most effectual means of preserving peace.

GEORGE WASHINGTON
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/22/2012 at 23:49
Originally posted by helo18 helo18 wrote:

a 375 Ruger build.

SS1-6 and .375 Ruger:  Awesome match.
-Matt
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 06:53
Great write up & some awsome pictures as that was a real type of shooting day!
One question though,which rings did you prefer [:}
Are these going to come with a cat tail?
Thanks Jon Excellent
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
ccoker View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccoker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 10:10
Very nice!
I would love to get my hands on one
www.TacticalGunReview.com

Pro Staff - Silencer Shop

http://tacticalgunreview.com

lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 10:17
Very nice write up and great pictures!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Summer@SWFA View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Summer@SWFA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 10:26

Bandito

SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 10:47
anyone else notice he called us germs?
atp View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 11:22
I'd like to see a lower profile cat-tail (extended power adjustment lever) for the SS 1-4x and 1-6x scopes. The current ring is fine on an AR-15 due to its very high sight line, but gets in the way on any rifle where you want to mount the scope as low as possible - meaning on most rifles other than AR-15s. The 3gunstuff.com lever is very low profile, as low as you can get and still use a wrap-around ring design, but they don't make one for the SWFA SS scopes. Even better would probably be a socket on the power ring for a screw-in extended lever like on the Leatherwood CMR.
BeltFed View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeltFed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 11:23
As usual, a very good write up Jon; well done.
I like the covered turrets too.
Life's concerns should be about the 120lb pack your trying to get to the top of the mountain, and not the rock in your boot.
Figue58 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Figue58 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 16:37
Is there a E.T.A. for this unit??

Maybe, possible price point?

Thanks!
Rancid Coolaid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rancid Coolaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 17:04
No perceptible reticle-bleed with illumination, can you confirm?

I love the 1-4X, no tunnel effect at any magnification.  Same with the 1-6X?
Freedom is something you take.
Respect is something you earn.
Equality is something you whine about not being given.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 18:26
Pretty Cool I think a 1-6 is way more useful than a 1-4 and the covered turrets is a big plus.  Looks like its long enough and enough power for a dangerous game gun.  How is the eye relief on it?

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
rfb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 19:03
Originally posted by Figue58 Figue58 wrote:

Is there a E.T.A. for this unit??

Maybe, possible price point?

+1

I like the clean, no-frills look of SWFA's reticle over the other 1-6x24s on the market. GRSC sells theirs for over $1000 and Bushnell's 1-6.5x goes for almost $1400. If SWFA can beat 'em both in price and quality, they've got a winner.
SkaerE View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SkaerE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 19:38
your new circle reticle is a winner.  i like it that the circle is no longer visible at the 6x.  that is my one problem with the fat circle on the 1-4.  it's distracting at 4x. 

judging from the "unexpectedly poor sales" of the T reticle in the 4x (SWFA reps words to me, not something i made up) I would have thought you wouldnt have even considered another T.  Personally, I dont like it at 1x for quickness and i hate it at 6x cause its ridiculously thick. 

would be interested in knowing how much scratch it will be.  I need a good mid range like this.

want me to test one?  :D
Cody.e.Smith View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cody.e.Smith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 19:45
Outstanding post Jon, thanks for the pics and write up.

As for the germs, well I thought we were all parasites.  lol
Tupe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 22:58
Finally registered to so I could Sub this thread - own a couple of SWFA optics, and will own another if the price is right on this kit. Yippee
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
  Share Topic