OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 1-6X24HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supersix4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/23/2012 at 23:39
Originally posted by rfb rfb wrote:

Originally posted by Figue58 Figue58 wrote:

Is there a E.T.A. for this unit??

Maybe, possible price point?

+1

I like the clean, no-frills look of SWFA's reticle over the other 1-6x24s on the market. GRSC sells theirs for over $1000 and Bushnell's 1-6.5x goes for almost $1400. If SWFA can beat 'em both in price and quality, they've got a winner.

I am thinking the same thing as you . I am going to watch this very closely. 
MWDG3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWDG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 00:15
Very nice!
33shooter View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 33shooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 02:34
Ok, I want this scope.  I'd love to hear more.
Skylar McMahon View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Capt. BlowHard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skylar McMahon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 09:27
Jon,
Great job! Always enjoy reading your reviews.
Red_5 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red_5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 11:47
Interesting indeed.

I've got one of the SS 1-4 T reticle/Bobro kits on an 18" SPR-style rig and really like it. So much so that I have another kit ordered for a recon-style build.

The extra bit of magnification the 1-6 offers could be useful at times.

Very curious to see what the price point will be on this.

Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 16:03
OK guys, I'll try to answer most of the questions that have been brought up:

I have no exact price on it.  Obviously it'll be more than the 1-4X but I think they'll keep it pretty reasonable.  It should be very competitive with the newer offerings with a high "bang for the buck" ratio as usual but we'll need to wait and see exactly where they end up.  The quality/durability of the 1-4X is well proven and the same can be expected from this.

I have no delivery date either so guessing would only get me in trouble.  I can say this is not a 1-off show model, it's basically ready for production now.

On the scopes themselves:

There is no tunneling at any power.  I have the FOV specs written down somewhere, I'll try and find them.

There is no illumination bleed.  It's even better than the 1-4X in that regard.

Thread protectors will be offered for those who want to run with the turrets uncovered.

The eye relief looks to be around 4" or maybe just a hair under and relatively constant throughout the range, only changing .1-.2" or so.  So it is definitely usable for a big bore DGR for those so inclined.  For those who like their noses literally on the charging handle, you probably want a mount with more forward extension than the "slightly forward" Bobro shown.

The friendliness or "eyebox" is similar to the 1-4X.  Better than most scopes on 1X, not quite as good on 6X.  Like the 1-4, on 6X it's mainly in regard to reticle focus--not the image of the target.  So if you move your head around looking at the reticle on 6X, you can make it go out of focus if you try but if you're looking at the target downrange as you should be it's not something I notice much.  Like I said, similar to the 1-4X in that regard so if you're happy with those you'll be happy with this.

Reticle impressions:

While I like the Circle much better, I actually find the T-reticle on this nicer than on the 1-4.  The center portion is closer to the center so it seems to be a better aiming point on 1X with illumination.  I think it looks really good for that.  On 6X it's OK, but the posts that look so good on 1X are sort of big and distracting, especially with the illumination on.  It's certainly a reticle that'll get the job done but I think the vast majority would choose the circle concept.

The circle reticle kicks ass.  Having the circle go completely out of the FOV makes a big difference.  On 6X it looks like any other mid or high power tactical scope set on 6X, with no horseshoe covering the target, no big dot covering your aiming point, no generic BDC, etc.  I think that's what a lot of people are looking for in a "dual role" scope for long range use.  It's better for low light as well with the illumination only lighting the center with no big posts or circle lit up washing out the picture.

The center has 1/2 Mil hashes, and with 6X they are actually usable.  The lines on the posts are at 5 mil intervals and could be handy if you need to point out a target to somebody.

On 1X at close range it's very good.  As you can see when lit up it looks much like the Leupold Circle-dot in size but it's thicker and easier to see when not illuminated.  Some may still prefer the smaller circle in the 1-4X for that while some may not.  While the larger circle may seem less precise for farther targets, say, in the 25-75 yd range when on 1X the posts inside the circle are very easy to see and make pinpoint aiming much easier than an empty circle.  I think it works well.

I also notice the larger circle makes the scope nicer to use on 2-5X.  Even before it disappears completely, it gives you a more open view of the target and isn't in the way.  This scope doesn't need to be used as a 1X or 6X with a switch between.  Some may find they like putting it on 3X or so and just leaving it for a particular bunch of targets.  It's very fast and friendly to use that way.

Like the reticles in the 1-4X, these are both very fast and usable on 1X in very bright to very dim light without the illumination.  The illumination helps, but the scopes are still very usable without it in most any conditions.  That's important to some people but not others.  Some of the most expensive scopes don't do this very well.  

I'll try to take a pic of the illumination in bright light if the sun ever comes out again.  It has been a pretty gloomy month or so here.  I heard the sun blew up or something….  Anyway the illumination brightness is basically the same as the 1-4--bright enough to be helpful in all but the very brightest conditions, but not quite aimpoint bright.

Hopefully that covers most of the questions.

stickbow46 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/24/2012 at 22:59
Thanks again Jon A for the update.Hopefully we'll get some answers after the shot show has totally wrapped up.
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
ra2bach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ra2bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 03:22
hi all, anyone know why I can't see the pics using firefox? with IE, I just get the red x.

any ideas?
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 05:24
Pictures?  There are no pictures.  What are you talking about?  Y'all were just dreaming.....!      Big Grin

No, all the gawkers crashed my site.  I should have them back up in a couple of hours.

On a serious note, an important issue I forgot to mention:

The circuit board and contacts underneath the battery, as well as the battery cover have been redesigned and appear to be completely shockproof.

So this scope should be completely unaffected by the flickering illumination issue that some 1-4X's suffered.
< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 05:55
If this comes in at or around $1k, i'll put in an order next week and get in line. Just filed taxes and should be getting a nice return next week(ish). Big Grin
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
ra2bach View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ra2bach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 13:21
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

Pictures?  There are no pictures.  What are you talking about?  Y'all were just dreaming.....!      Big Grin

No, all the gawkers crashed my site.  I should have them back up in a couple of hours.

hahaha, good one...

but now that they're up, I'm really impressed. can't wait to see one come up in production status...
mike650 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mike650 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/25/2012 at 13:31
Originally posted by ra2bach ra2bach wrote:

hi all, anyone know why I can't see the pics using firefox? with IE, I just get the red x.

any ideas?

What java version are you using?
“A hunt based only on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.” – Fred Bear
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/26/2012 at 13:37
Thanks for sharing, Jon.
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
HisDivineShadow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HisDivineShadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 03:29
OK this is hands down the most interesting 1-6x scope for me. I just love the T-style reticle, to me it seems more useful than the circle dot at 1x, and on 6x I think the reticle looks "finer" and more suitable for precision work. This is exactly the kind of reticle I have been wanting for ages.
MWDG3 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MWDG3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 05:39
Can we get subtensions please.
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HisDivineShadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 11:29
Originally posted by HisDivineShadow HisDivineShadow wrote:

OK this is hands down the most interesting 1-6x scope for me. I just love the T-style reticle, to me it seems more useful than the circle dot at 1x, and on 6x I think the reticle looks "finer" and more suitable for precision work. This is exactly the kind of reticle I have been wanting for ages.

Oh great, apparently I can't buy an SWFA scope because I am located in Finland.
Sparky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 16:37
Originally posted by HisDivineShadow HisDivineShadow wrote:

Oh great, apparently I can't buy an SWFA scope because I am located in Finland.

Unfortunately that is correct they do not export.
rvb View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rvb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 20:48
Originally posted by Jon A Jon A wrote:

no big dot covering your aiming point,

This is exactly what I think is missing in this reticle, a 1/2mil dia dot. That would make it rock for 3 gunnin, so for 0-250 yds or so just put the dot on and hit. Past that, zoom in and use the mils for drop.... This new reticle w the fat lines inside the circle looks like it draws the eye to the point of aim better than the 1-4 reticle, so i'm keeping an eye on this scope for sure, but a strong point of aim at 1x is important, IMO. Looks like this could be a viable option, but there appears to be a lot new this year to choose between...

-rvb
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HisDivineShadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 23:53
If you want a dot with drop reticle I think the upcoming bushnell 1-6.5x24 might be your thing.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 18:23
Anyone have a rough estimate of when this scope or the new fixed SS ones will be out?
Old Mil ftw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 15>
  Share Topic