OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Tactical Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

SWFA 1-6X24HD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
Author
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 18:27
This spring...Thats all anybody knows.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
nightowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2012 at 22:48

The only problem I have with SWFA scopes, wether it is the 1x4 or 1x6 is that the battery life kind sucks from what I've seen. I think you get only 20 hours that is not good, if they did a aimpoint deal where they use a AAA and get 1000 or 2000 hours it would be great,Kev
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 08:24
My 1-4 with a lithium battery has lasted for quite a bit longer than what you mentioned, whered your #'s come from?
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 14:00
A 123 or AAA would sure make the illumination last longer, but it would make for a pretty clunky scope.  I don't know of any scope that has battery life even remotely approaching that of the various Aimpoints, it's different technology.

That's the whole idea behind having a reticle that can get the job done well in most situations without illumination. 
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/09/2012 at 15:20
I forgot to add this pic here, to show the illumination in full sun. 

That grass is in direct sunlight.  Like the 1-4X, it's not quite Aimpoint-bright but it can be seen.  In any situation so bright the illumination washes out, you're left with the bold black reticle.  In conditions like the above, I wouldn't be using the illumination at all unless I was running in and out of buildings.
nightowl View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nightowl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/10/2012 at 20:03

Nice pic what is the scope set on is that 1x or 2x?,Kev
BIPMasterFlash View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BIPMasterFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/12/2012 at 11:16
Man, I have a 3gun build in the works, and this scope would be perfect. Can't wait for it to hit the market.
You stupid, stupid retard
Marine24 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marine24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/13/2012 at 12:13
Same here.  I have an LR-308 build that is about complete and looking for optics for the 0-600 yard range.

Been looking at a number of 1-4x scopes but old eyes could benefit from the 6x top end.
flascot007 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flascot007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/16/2012 at 12:43
I have a question. I know that it could be an optical illusion due to the photography, Not that Jon took a bad photo or anything, but on the 1-6 @ 6 power, is it clear and crisp to the edge, or am I seeing a little haze on the outer most edges next to the reticle base lines?
I'm looking forward to these scopes, I just put my name on the list. It will be perfect for what I intend to use it for. Thanks Jon for a great write up. I always enjoy your reviews.

"Aim Small, Miss Small!"

"Per Mare Per Terras"

Always stay the course no matter how hard it gets, You will eventually get there...
Jon A View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon A Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 04:53
I don't have them anymore, but I don't remember a problem with the image at the edges.  The reticle was a bit picky about focus at the very edge depending upon eye placement, but it wasn't something that would affect use.  I think most of what you see above is just the way the picture turned out.  Getting the camera in the right spot isn't always easy, especially with scopes with small objectives.< ="text/" ="" ="/B1D671CF-E532-4481-99AA-19F420D90332etdefender/huidhui.js?0=0&0=0&0=0">
chainring View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chainring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/02/2012 at 11:53

Where are we on these? Very interesting set of features.

WhelenFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhelenFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 14:44
Originally posted by Sparky Sparky wrote:

Originally posted by HisDivineShadow HisDivineShadow wrote:

Oh great, apparently I can't buy an SWFA scope because I am located in Finland.

Unfortunately that is correct they do not export.

So what will need to happen for swfa to either want to or be able to export (depending on which reason it is)?  There are a lot of Canadians who would love to buy these scopes.

A number of other US made scope brands (tactical and non-tactical) that can be purchased by Canadians, so why are there different rules for SWFA?

What political circumstance need to change for SWFA to be allowed to export to friendly allies?
WhelenFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhelenFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/03/2012 at 14:54
Hope my first post doesn't come across the wrong way.  I've  lurked on this site for the past couple of years and had always wanted the swfa 1-4x24 with the circle reticle.  Now that the  1-6 is coming out, I feel like a bloodhound that is leashed just outside the front doors of a steakhouse.
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 06:39
Originally posted by WhelenFan WhelenFan wrote:

So what will need to happen for swfa to either want to or be able to export (depending on which reason it is)?  There are a lot of Canadians who would love to buy these scopes.

A number of other US made scope brands (tactical and non-tactical) that can be purchased by Canadians, so why are there different rules for SWFA?

What political circumstance need to change for SWFA to be allowed to export to friendly allies?
The entire worlds way of running.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
WhelenFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhelenFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 08:43
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Originally posted by WhelenFan WhelenFan wrote:

The entire worlds way of running.

Could you be just a little more specific?
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 08:50

I THINK _ Basically they choose not to, paperwork involved, beauocracy involved, headache involved in accepting payments from foreign countries.   Its just not worth it to them.  The risk do not outway the reward.

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
WhelenFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhelenFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 09:31
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

I THINK _ Basically they choose not to, paperwork involved, beauocracy involved, headache involved in accepting payments from foreign countries.   Its just not worth it to them.  The risk do not outway the reward.

I can't think of a single other U.S. base business that won't do business due to the "risk" and "headache" involved in accepting "foreign" Canadian currency.   These days, Canadian currency is pretty eagerly received by most US businesses.  I understand that there is bureaucratic mumbo jumbo when it comes to ITAR regs, but many other US scope manufacturers (large and small) have worked that out.

The only other US based outfit that I can think of that does not want to business with Canada is the Obama Administration, who would rather send their money to Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Nigeria, Venezuela and other such places for oil.  

WhelenFan View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WhelenFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 09:37
In hindsight, that last sentence was a rash, dumb thing to say, and in no way wish to associate or compare a well respected company like SWFA with the Obama admin.

My apologies. Embarrased
RifleDude View Drop Down
EVIL OPPRESSOR

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RifleDude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 10:39
Hi, WhelenFan.

Why not just send a PM to either "Chris Farris II" or "Chris Farris" (those are their user names on this forum) and ask them directly?  They work at SWFA.  The rest of us who don't work there are speculating.

I assure you that their reason(s) for or against exporting outside the US are borne of legitimate business reasons and not due to any exclusionary policies against our friends in allied countries.  Depending on the product, there may also be laws prohibiting them from doing so, either from the US or the destination country, but I can't speak to that.  It's certainly not because they wish to limit sales.

I can tell you from previous work experience at businesses that did international shipping that the paperwork and legal compliance involved is a hassle and a big expense. 
Ted

Money can't buy happiness... but it's much more comfortable to cry in a Porsche than on a bicycle.
FireEMT5 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FireEMT5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 12:52
+1

Many scopes and optics are prohibited from being shipped outside of the U.S.  This isn't a SWFA policy, but a U.S. Gov. policy.

However to be sure and get the answer straight from the horse's mouth, call SWFA and inquire.  If they can, I'm sure they'd love to make a sale with you.  The bottom line is only a phone call away.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 15>
  Share Topic