OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Old Redfield 6x18 Scope

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rspeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Old Redfield 6x18 Scope
    Posted: January/28/2012 at 10:54
Hey there,  I bought a rifle a while back that came with an older Redfield Scope.  I don't really know anything about it and was wondering if any of you might know.  It says Redfield 6x-18x on the side, and has some other stuff written throughout the scope: "Redfield Denver Colo. U.S.A Pat 3161716 or 2949816".  There's some stickers on the top that say 4-Plex, and ACCU-RANGE 200-600.  It seems to be a nice scope, so I'm debating between using this, or getting a little more modern $300-$400 scope.  I'll be using it for elk hunting in AZ.  Any thoughts/recommendations are greatly appreciated.

rspeters View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rspeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2012 at 10:58
Sorry, here's some bigger pics:

Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2012 at 11:41
The Leupold FX3 6x42 Long range duplex is a very bright scope with a balistic reticle that would be a fine choice.  The 3-9 zeiss Conquest should  also be in your price range or a 3-9 Bushnell Elite.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2012 at 19:17
  WELCOME to OT.

Those Denver Redfields were right at the top with the likes of Leupold,Burris,and Weaver back then.  They can even still be serviced.  I dealt with older scopes for a few yrs.  Mainly steel tubed Weavers although I did have a 2.75x20 Denver Redfield.  One concern is can you be sure the scope is dependable enough to get you through the worst conditions you'll encounter while hunting.  The scope may look great but seals and lubrication do dry out.  And then there's all the  advancements in technology that's come about since that scope was made.  I had a situation where I had to aim directly into a setting sun but couldn't make the shot because of the extreme glare from uncoated lenses.  So a yr or so ago  I sold most of my old scopes and upgraded.  I did keep two that are sentimental favorites but don't use them on hard hunted rifles. 

"I ain't got time to bleed!"
rspeters View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rspeters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/28/2012 at 23:08
Yeah those are some good points.  When it comes to straight up magnification and clarity, it seems to be pretty nice...it's all those other newer features that it's missing, like some you mentioned.  I'll probably end up looking to get a more modern one.  
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2012 at 07:20
Personally I feel some of the older scopes were better made then today's world wide parts, the pictures look fine overall I would use it see how it works you may be pleased, modern is not always
better.Big Grin
hunterbob View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hunterbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/29/2012 at 14:05
 I would definitely use it !   If it,s not up to par; I would call RedField and see if they could fix it.
In its day I bet it was upwards of $400 at least.
Luck is where preparation meets opportunity
Sir Hoppalot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sir Hoppalot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2012 at 05:38
Originally posted by 300S&W 300S&W wrote:

I had a situation where I had to aim directly into a setting sun but couldn't make the shot because of the extreme glare from uncoated lenses.

Just to concur with what 300S&W said.
Try looking towards a setting sun, I've found uncoated lens are a REAL let down in that regard, they glare up and in some lighting circumstances, typically when you're facing the sun. That however is a nice looking scope, there is a nostalgic attraction to those older redfields by some.

I have a new redfield revolution 3-9x40, they're what $150? I really like it, though apparently the Burris FFII and Vortex Diamondback are better at a slightly higher price, closer to $ 165 and $190.
"I don't know what World War III will be fought with, but I know World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein
billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/01/2012 at 09:02
I would try it in low light situations before you plan on taking it elk hunting. By far this is where newer scopes separate them selves from older glass. But it really looks like a functional scope.
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
erik7x57 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote erik7x57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/02/2012 at 12:32
As much as I love vintage rifle scopes, the newer Burris', Bushnell, Vortex, etc. beat pretty much any optics made before 1990. I would not worry about that Redfield losing zero, but I would put that one on a classic .222 rifle for varminting. My personal favorite "modern" scope is a Bushnell Elite 3200, 4-12x40AO with range reticle. It has held zero on my Steyr 25-06 very well, has great optics in the early morning, and won't haze up at -5F.  I would bet you can get one for around $250 or so on sale. If you stick with a 3-9x40 (perfect for most big game hunting, that's why there are so many made & sold), then you should have no problem getting one under $200.
This ain't dodge city...and you ain't Bill Hickock.
bob pampe View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bob pampe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2014 at 16:44
YOUR REDFIELD ACCURANGE 6X18 WAS THE BEST I COULD BUY IN ABO 1965.  I BELIEVE I PAID ABOUT $250 AT THAT TIME.  IT IS AN EXCELLENT VARMIT SCOPE. - A BIT HIGH POWER FOR TYPICAL ELK.  IF YOUR ANTICIPATED ELK HUNT PROMISES SHOTS IN EXCESS OF 500 YARDS, KEEP IT AND LOVE IT. FOR SHORTER RANGES, CONSIDER A 4X12.

TO USE THE RANGE FINDING:  THERE ARE TWO HORIZONTAL CROSS HAIRS; SELECT AN OBJECT ESTIMATED TO BE 18 INCHES HIGH. ADJUST THE POWER SETTING SO THAT THE OBJECT FITS BETWEEN THESE CROSSHAIRS, THEN READ THE RANGE (IN YARDS) AT THE EDGE OF THE VIEW.

I HAVE USED MINE ON AN EXCEPTIONALLY ACCURATE 222 FOR 50 YEARS, MAKING MANY CLEAN ONE SHOT KILLS ON WOODCHUCK, QUITE A FEW WELL IN EXCESS ON 400 YDS.

I FOUND YOUR POST BECAUSE I AM LOOKING FOR ANOTHER TO PUT ON AN EVEN MORE ACCURATE 223 THAT I RECENTLY FOUND. (THREE ROUNDS IN TWO TOUCHING HOLES AT 100 METERS).

IF YOU DECIDE TO UPDATE, I AM INTERESTED IN YOURS.  IF YOU DESIRE TO CONTACT ME, PLEASE AVOID MESSAGES LOST IN JUNK EMAILS BY PUTTING SCOPE IN THE SUBJECT MATTER.

IF  YOU DECIDE TO HOLD, GOOD HUNTING AND ENJOY.

BOB PAMPE

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/28/2014 at 20:29
Yep, your scope is easily late 60s or very early seventies.  That's a long time. I'd get a FRESH new scope and use that for something else....
Visit the Ed Show
Kip View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kip Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/12/2023 at 05:02
Trying to find the screw on the eyepiece. 
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2023 at 14:38
Speaking of screws and eyepieces...

I had a buddy once a long time ago....he was new to shooting although he'd been to Vietnam...but like I said he didn't know sh*t about guns...

He bought a new rifle in Wyoming forty years ago and bought a brand new Leupold scope for it...a good choice...he immediately went home to our house and proceeded to unscrew the ocular bell right off the scope at the kitchen table!

Oliver Hardy

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September/20/2023 at 14:38
Johnny Carson - Monologue with big moth joke | Johnny carson, Johnny,  Historical film

Visit the Ed Show
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic