OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Scope for Mossberg 500 at or under $150

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoss69380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scope for Mossberg 500 at or under $150
    Posted: January/29/2012 at 10:17
Hey fellas,

I'm looking at purchasing a scope for a slug barrel on a Mossberg 500. I've been focusing on the scopes below and would appreciate your opinion on what you believe the best scope is for at or under $150, either from the list below or outside of it. I threw the Redfield Revenge in there in case it really blew the others away, as I know it's new and there are very few reviews on it. Thanks!

JMoss
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/29/2012 at 10:29
Here is another direction for you to consider...a fixed 4X. IMO, that's all that is really needed on a slug thrower, and most are tough as nails to be able to withstand the recoil. In your price range, I'd suggest the Weaver Classic K 4 X 38 @ $135. Just a thought! BTW, welcome to the OT forums. Yippee
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
Poodleshooter1 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Poodleshooter1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/30/2012 at 16:06
Nikon Prostaff Shotgun 2-7, or the regular 2-7x. Both have about 3.8" of listed eye relief.
Eye relief is a big concern for scopes designed for shooting slugs. The Mossy is light, and kicks like a mule with big slugs (I have a 24" rifled barrel for mine).

A good Weaver option that is very close to your budget is the 1-3x Classic V variable. Eye relief is just over 4" for that model, and it's a fast scope to use in daylight and low light. I have one on an AK, and it's nearly the equal of a red dot for speed, superior when magnified.

powderburn View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powderburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 05:30
There is a 1x nikon on the sample list for $119. I would probably go for that. s/b plenty for a shotgun.
jmoss69380 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoss69380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 12:35
Bugs- Thanks for the post and the welcome. Poodle- I have the 24" rifled barrel as well. This is the exact model: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=54243

So from what most of you are saying, a fixed 4x or 2-7 or below is better than a 3-9 magnification. Any recommendation for scope rings on a 1" tube? 

Powder-I'm going to give that Nikon a look as well.

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum and has really helped.
JMoss
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 13:26
JMoss,

You get the most scope for the money first with fixed powers, and then with the low power variables like the 2-7X30ish scopes.

I agree this is what you should be looking for.  If you can find a used/discontinued Vortex Viper 2-7X32  around your price range, I think you would be really pleased.

I also think those Redfields are great values.
-Matt
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 16:08
Originally posted by jmoss69380 jmoss69380 wrote:

Bugs- Thanks for the post and the welcome. Poodle- I have the 24" rifled barrel as well. This is the exact model: http://www.galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=54243

So from what most of you are saying, a fixed 4x or 2-7 or below is better than a 3-9 magnification. Any recommendation for scope rings on a 1" tube? 

Powder-I'm going to give that Nikon a look as well.

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum and has really helped.

I'd suggest either DNZ or Warne mounts. Cool

If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
jjrgr21 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjrgr21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 16:47
i have the weaver V3 and V7 both have been mounted to a 45-70 marlin, and both have held up well
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 21:09
Nikon 1.65-5x36 SlugHunter Shotgun Scope BDC 200 Nikon 1.65-5x36 SlugHunter Shotgun Scope
Stock # - NIK8445
  • Matte
  • BDC 200
  • 1"
  • 5 inches of eye relief
$209.95 

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
jmoss69380 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmoss69380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/25/2012 at 14:12
I went with the Nikon ProStaff 2-7x32 Shotgun Hunter scope and purchased the Burris Xtreme Picatinny (Low) Rings (420180). Thanks again everyone for the advice. 
JMoss
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic