OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Mounts & Accessories > Rings and bases
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Weaver Scope Mount on Ruger 10/22

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamorak24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weaver Scope Mount on Ruger 10/22
    Posted: January/31/2012 at 10:44
Hello,

I am thinking of getting the Weaver 2.5-7x28 Classic Rimfire Rifle Scope for my Ruger 10/22.
this will be the first scope I buy so I am unsure what I will need to get in edition to the scope to mount it to my rifle.    

I will generally be using this on an indoor 25yd range and an outdoor 100yd range.    

thanks!
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 21:32
You'll need some kind of base and rings. There are a million options for the little 10/22. Lots of options is fun for a shooter that likes to tinker and try different things. But it is also a little overwhelming if you're just getting into it.

A base like this with the rings of your choice:
http://swfa.com/Weaver-Multi-Slot-Tactical-Base-P10523.aspx

A one piece base/ring combination:
http://swfa.com/DNZ-Lightweight-1-Scopemount-P41529.aspx

Or a base/ring combo that mounts directly to the receiver (and still allows use of the iron sights). This is my favorite for a do-it-all 22.
http://swfa.com/Weaver-See-Thru-Detachable-1-Rings-P10468.aspx

For ultimate accuracy from a heavy barrel 10/22 you need something like this with high quality rings.
http://swfa.com/B-Square-Ruger-1022-Heavy-Barrel-Base-P1586.aspx

A non-optic solution that works really well with the little 10/22 is a williams aperture rear sight and front "fire sight". Which I don't see on the SWFA website.

Google it, they don't appreciate links to other vendors here. I have this little peep sight on one of my 10/22's and its great. Won't win you a blue ribbon at the next silhouette match with it, however.
Lamorak24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamorak24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January/31/2012 at 22:52
Thank you very much for the information,  I like the idea of the base/ring combo that lets me use the iron sights still.   I have a feeling in the beginning I will become very annoyed with the scope while learning.   

My ruger came with a scope base adaptor that looks like this

does this take the place of the base?

thanks again!
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 07:39
Yes. That is your base. A pair of weaver style rings will attach to that and the scope.
Like these: http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-Zee-1-Rings-P1306.aspx
Actually with that whole package (10/22, weaver scope, zee-rings)I think you'd be doing your first scope quite properly. Much better than the crap I started out with!

There are a number of videos online about scope mounting if you are going to do it yourself. Its not hard, but its something that needs to be done correctly so you don't damage the scope or have things coming loose while you are out shooting.

Ernie Bishop View Drop Down
Optics Professional
Optics Professional

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 08:45
I use the Weaver base and the  Burris Signature Zee Rings
Ernie

"If you think you are perfect, just try walking on water."
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 09:32
I use  Warne rings. Of the Weaver rings the old style that hooks on one side and has two screws on the other is far superior to the new Quad Lock style which must have been invented solely to destroy the finish on a scope.
Better Yet  ues Talley: 
Talley makes a one piece ringmount that is awesome no base needed, that is what I use for several of my centerfire rifles
Gun Make: Ruger
Stock# Description Height Finish  
930707 1" Ruger Model 1022 (Low) 0.450 BA  
940707 1" Ruger Model 1022 (Med) 0.550 BA  

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 20:06
I have that Weaver scope. It's really a heck of a good buy! I have (had) it on my CZ 452.  
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/01/2012 at 20:39
I use a Weaver base and the standard Weaver rings on one of my 10/22's. They are fine. I used to use Weaver bases and the old ugly rings on a .375 H&H. You will have no problems with these.
Doug
Lamorak24 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lamorak24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/05/2012 at 03:11
thank you everyone for all the great tips!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic