OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage "Hog Hunter"...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savage "Hog Hunter"...
    Posted: February/02/2012 at 11:33
Anyone have one, used one, looked one over?  I'm thinking of buying one...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 11:37

can't help ya KB, never seen one until I just googled it.  What chambering dare I ask? ( I would expect 338)

Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 11:42
HAAAA... .308...
                         ... or maybe .338...

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
pyro6999 View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
OT TITAN

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pyro6999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 11:47
thats too small, you need to go at least .358diam for hogs.maybe a 9.3 something or another??Devil
They call me "Boots"
375H&H Mag: Yeah, it kills stuff "extra dead"

343 we will never forget

God Bless Chris Ledoux
"good ride cowboy"
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 12:00
As far as I can tell, they only make it in .223, .308, .338...

.308 is working very well for me on hogs, but I must admit I feel a little under gunned...

billyburl2 View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyburl2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 12:11
The 308 is only good for 75lbs "feeder" piglets...
If it is tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 12:42
I agree, .308 is just to small to kill, skin and field dress all with one shot.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 13:01
Originally posted by lucytuma lucytuma wrote:

I agree, .308 is just to small to kill, skin and field dress all with one shot.

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 13:35
Interesting.  This is the first I've heard of them.  Looks to be a handy rifle for hogs.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
supertool73 View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
Superstool

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote supertool73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 14:00
Those look neat.  I love how a lot of factory rifles are now threading the barrels.  
Lifetime warranty and excellent customer service don't mean a thing when your gun fails during a zombie attack.

"A Liberal is a person who will give away everything they don't own."
stickbow46 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickbow46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/02/2012 at 14:17
Looks like a great gun[in .338] for hogs.Good hunting ,let us know how the accuracy is!
Pearls of Wisdom are Heard not Spoken
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 11:34
I bough this gun and wish I hadn't

I per-ordered this gun with out seeing it in person. I guess that was my first mistake. I relied on my experience I have with my 93 in 17 hmr. Which is my most favorite small caliber gun. I did not have the same experience with the hog hunter.

When I got the box in my hand i was so excited, I per-ordered this gun about 6 weeks ago. It came in earlier than I expected. My first let down was that my gun was just in the box without any plastic sleeve like many of my other new guns have come with. I noticed that the receiver had made contact with the box and rubbed the matte finish off. Then I noticed that the bolt head was rusted. I cleaned it a little, then I stopped. Realizing that I should be cleaning the rust off a new gun. Then the worst of the worst. The stock, It is a much lighter color than what is shown on the website. Not only that. The injection molding marks are horrible. I have many guns with syn stocks. If the time is taken, you have a great stock, This stock has sloppy injection molding marks all over it. It looks like a cheap Chinese toy. Not only that. The stock is crooked,....I know they will not be perfect. This can't be normal. This is so far off,....I just don't have words..... I am so disappointed. I had pre-ordered a base, rings, a nice nikon 3x9x50 and am even have JP making a custom break for this gun because I got it in 338.....I'm at a loss for words. Is this typical for Savage?

SD Dog View Drop Down
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 11:42
Wow.  Someone did not properly take care of that gun.  I would be placing a call to the dealer.  Have to say that is not typical of Savage, at least not with the ones I have.   Yes their plain synthetic stocks are not much, but never seen a new one as rough as you are describing.
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 11:55
I actually called the dealer I got it from. They are in NC, and I am in PA. They were the closest people I could find that had it. I spoke with the shop, they do not have any more in stock, so all they would have done is send it to savage after I sent it to them. So I just boxed it up and sent it back to savage. If they try to send me back that gun with the same stock. Just one with out all the marks and bends. I am just going to return it to the store.  
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 12:14
Definately not the norm for Savage. I would be willing to bet the failure to put this in the plastic wrapper was the fault of the gun dealer who probably had it out on display, combined with the beating it took in shipping.

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 12:22
Actually, The gun was a special order. The dealer got it and shipped it to me the same day. This is a slip up from savage.
Urimaginaryfrnd View Drop Down
Resident Redneck

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Urimaginaryfrnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 12:25
116 Alaskan Brush Hunter    This is the stainless version http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/    Specialty series   /  116 Alaska Brush Hunter
in 338 WM and 375 Ruger Devil

"Always do the right thing, just because it is the right thing to do".
Bobby Paul Doherty
Texas Ranger
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 12:30
That isn't right hope this gets worked out for ya.
Old Mil ftw
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 12:41
Yeah I think that might be the way to go, I though I would like the threaded barrel, just looks goofy. I do like that brush hunter. It just seems to have same stock on it, as the hog hunter does? 18 barrel to.........I plan to use this for bear and elk if I even get around to it. Maybe I can use some Hornady Superformance to try to keep some velocity out of that 18 inch barrel.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 15:51
WOW not what I would expect out of savage.. If I was a betting man I would say they are not the one to blame.... Most savages come lathered up with oils and grease and packed very well too. I would bet that you got a display model that had been wiped down. Or maybe one that a sales rep toted around in his truck for 9 months!!! Those molded savage stocks have always been junk!!! They need to put their new accustock on all their rifles. I had one that the stock was similar to yours. I just took off and trimmed the side that was almost touching down. Savage customer service is very good. I bet the next one they send you is in much better condition. Let us know please. 

On another note I would look at semi auto for a hog rifle just in case they come in 10 at a time!!!!! In MO we are encouraged to take them all out!!!! DPMS makes some reasonably priced AR-10's in 308 which is more then enough gun.. 
Dont take yourself to seriously
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic