OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Savage "Hog Hunter"...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 16:23
I am hoping for my troubles they send it back with an accustock.  I may be a little Loco asking that. But if they send me back the same gun, with a new bolt and a new crappy stock. I am returning it to the retail store. I am actually going to call them Monday. They should have it by then. I am tracking the package. I they can't fix it the way i want, they can send it back to the store.

The gun is for bear,...didn't really buy it for hogs. There isn't a hog problem in PA where I live. Not that I wish there was hog damage for the farmers to deal with. But it would be nice to have some around to take a wack at....lolBig Grin
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 17:58
Welcome to Optics Talk, Gunjack. 

Sorry for your troubles and hope you get them ironed out soon. 
If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/08/2012 at 20:55
I have yet to see Hogs in the MO deer woods but for the past several years at least one or two of my friends winds up shooting one during deer season or gets pics on their trail cams. That tells me that they are spreading... I always kid my father and tell him I am gonna go to the live stock auction and by a dozen and turn them loose on are farm so I have somthing to hunt year round..... He chews my butt every time Big Grin 
I know better but it sure would be fun... 
Dont take yourself to seriously
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 13:23
Am speaking with Savage now,....on hold for three hours....They are saying that what is in the bolt is Dulite from the black oxide finishing on the gun. No rust,...that sounds like a bunch of BS.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 14:12
Looks like rust, smells like a duck... or something like that.

Glad I didn't get one yet.  I know to hold it in my hands prior to purchase...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
Buster95 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Buster95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 19:05
Gunjack what's the action screw spacing on your gun?
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 19:41
I've not seen anything like that before come from Savage??????  I think someone dropped the ball on you.  However Savage isn't bad in the CS department.  Its all about getting in touch with the right person.  The "tech" or whomever you spoke with probably isn't your best bet.  If your adamant about talking with "the man" it can be done.  Just remember although you were shorted in the exchange, be polite and courteous, and they will be more apt to help you.  
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 09:11
Well I received my gun back from Savage. They fixed:

1. The stock, full replacement. Nice new stock, beautiful.
2. Refinished the whole gun, to fix the wear on the receiver. (I thought this was nice, so the whole gun is uniform.
3. They shipped it back to me very fast, not one cent out of my pocket.
4. Bolt head uncleaned, looks the same as when I sent it back to them.Mad

It was a battle. I actually went back through my cell phone and checked the history under the numbers I called Savage,......I spent over 5.5 hours talking and on hold with them...lol.....(I know I have to much time on my hands)...

At first they tried feeding me some BS. They tried to explain that the rust on the bolt was left over "Dulite" or "hotbath". The treatment that they use to apply the finish to the gun. Well I called and spoke with Walt, the owner of Dulite. He said that Savage does not use Dulite, they use hotbath, but they are exactly the same process and end result. He explained to me that if the material on the bolt was a result of the hotbath process. Then it was done incorrectly and at to high of a temperature. Also if it was happening on the bolt, it would happen in other areas on the gun where the same parts were coated. So rust or no rust. I do want a poor finish or rust on my new gun anywhere.

The stock, at first they weren't going to replace the stock. Then they were going to fix it. Then they wanted to replace the stock. Then they,.......around around we went. I spoke with about 3 people untill I got to the big man upstairs. He, when we were on the phone went and got my gun, so he had it in front of him.

In it's simplest form it went down like this. Stock ok, we will replace this,....finish ok we will fix this,......bolt face,.....still got the Dulite story.......We will ship it back to you asap when it's all done.....

Several phone calls later,....some of them not so nice.

At the end, they agreed to have the gun refinished and a new stock put on. I have the gun back and am very happy....with one exception. They did not clean the face of the bolt. So I am going to take it to a local lab to have it tested...I know this might seem like overkill. In my mind there shouldn't ever be anything like this on a gun. The fact that it went back to the company and was scrutinized by the head of customer service and it still came back to me uncleaned and the exact same way I sent it to them (the bolt face), makes me unhappy. They should have at least cleaned it. Or replaced the bolt. This was my biggest grip and they didn't fix it. Mad So I plan to scrub it, clean it and oil it up to help preserve it. However, if the rust is internal. It will keep coming out with me working the bolt. So After I shoot it the first time, we will see if it is still coming from the inside.
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 09:13
Buster, I will check when I get home for ya. I think it 5.062.......ActuallyI spoke with Boyds......that is it. If I'm incorrect please some one chime in...
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 09:27

Take some photos of the bolt so we can see it.  Then you can email them to me so I can post them on here. 

Then after we do that call savage back and direct them to this thread and let them know you are going to post this same story on every hunting/shooting board that you can.  They will probably fix your bolt then.
"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 12:50
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

Take some photos of the bolt so we can see it.  Then you can email them to me so I can post them on here. 

Then after we do that call savage back and direct them to this thread and let them know you are going to post this same story on every hunting/shooting board that you can.  They will probably fix your bolt then.

+1 Perfect strategy.
I bet they mail you a new bolt ASAP if they have half a brain.
Dont take yourself to seriously
SD Dog View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire
Optics Master Extraordinaire
OT Scratching Post

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SD Dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 13:06
Originally posted by Gunjack Gunjack wrote:

Does the bolt still look like this after they "cleaned" it?
If nobody ever said anything unless he knew what he was talking about, a ghastly hush would descend upon the earth. AP Herbert

Stupidity & ignorance have been the foundation for many certainties.
SpencerK View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SpencerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 00:07
Man that is crazy!!!Loco That does not sound like Savage.  A great gun for hog's and other big game, would be a H&R 45-70 and use the Lever evolution ammunition by Hornady!!!
I rather be happy than right
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 06:45
That is exactly how the bolt head came back to me,......thank you for re-posting that picture and the support guys.

I remember the head of customer service saying " I want that gun completely gone over buy the gun smith, then I want it up here in my office and I want to look over it, before it goes out" I guess they skipped a few steps along the line.

I will be calling them on Monday. I guess what the real pain is,....everytime I call in it's like a 15 to 30 minute hold till you get someone. I guess more people than just me are having some issues with their guns. Because thoes lines are always jammed up.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 07:34
Jeepers....what a pain in the ass. Again, sorry for your troubles, but thanks for sharing with us. 
Thundey View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thundey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 08:16
I'm assuming you spoke with Joe DeGrande about this?  Usually he is more than quite helpful, and find it hard to believe this is coming from Savage's C.S.

www.opticstalk.com

I know its a PITA but have you called back and informed them about the problem?  its possible that "somehow" your bolt was overlooked, again... which isn't cool, but mistakes can and do happen.  Lastly if that is rust on your new gun, Savage should own up and make things right with you, maybe send you some swag once they repair it correctly too.Cool  And of you're not happy with the C.S. you can talk to Mr. Coburn, unlike some CEO's he can actually be reached by phone, and will return your calls.  I'm sure he doesn't want to turn away any potential new customers because of a piddly issue like thisWink

I've been considering getting the wife one of Savage's new Lady Hunter rifles recently, but maybe I'll put that on hold if Savage can't seem to get their C.S. functioning.  Last thing I want is a defective piece of equipment that Savage won't fix.  Guess maybe I'll look around and see about finding a used M10 and just build one for her myself.
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 08:48

Come on Savage.  Let's get it together.  Absolutely NO REASON to send out a product like that in the first place let alone AGAIN after it's been "repaired".

Gunjack,
   Without trying to remove whatever it is on the bolt can you see any pitting?
"I ain't got time to bleed!"

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 08:51
I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Savage, but I try to never buy a firearm before I can lay my hands on it and make sure it's good to go.   

300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 12:30

I wouldn't hesitate either.  In fact an SS Lightweight Hunter with a laminate or syn stock in 223 would be REAL NICE.  And I agree that it's best not to buy sight unseen. And I can maybe understand one like Gunjack's slipping thru once in a while.  BUT it shouldn't be returned to him looking like that.  Hopefully there'll be an understandable explaination from Savage.
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Gunjack View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gunjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 17:31
Thundey,  I wasn't going to post names on here. My purpose of this thread is not to burn anyone. But we are all competent adults and with that said. Yes I did speak with Joe and Effie.

Joe did say to me that the bolt was to be clean and refinished. Along with the rest of the gun. Which they did and it looks perfect.  It must have been over looked. Or they were continuing with their original assumption that it was left over black oxide finish. But why didn't they then just take a few minutes and clean the dam thing. Joe did seem to try very hard to correct the situation and in a very timely manner. He took personal responsibility for it. That is why I am shocked it came back like this.

I always inspect the firearm before purchase also. However this was a special order, and inspection was not an option.

I did clean up the bolt the best I could. I can see a noticeable difference between the area that had the "rust" and the area that did not. Time will tell
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic