OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Firearms, Bows, and Ammunition > Firearms
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Pops got a new Gun

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pops got a new Gun
    Posted: February/06/2012 at 09:08
Well my dad, mom, and wife all recently went and took the CC class to get their permits.  I highly doubt my mom or dad will carry often but they will like the fact they can carry one in the car if need be from time to time.  The wife, she's getting into shooting a lot more, I'm watching her close, heard her talking to an insurance company ther other dayShocked..  Anyway we went to wilmington the other day and went into a pretty large pawn shop.  They are known for the # of guns they have on hand.  Anyway saw a used CZ in there some weeks back and it was still there Saturday night, I knew dad like the feel of a 1911 but said it was just a bit to thin for him so I told him to try the CZ, it was used, had been sent back to CZ for a custom trigger, trijicon night sights (big front dot, post rear), and nicer wood grips.  Anyway it looked like new gun, very well taken care of.  The guy that was in there selling I knew from college and he told me that an older gentlemen would come in every few months buy a gun, customize it, shoot it for a few weeks and trade it in to start over.  Well after ribbing my dad a bit about him needing it he said oh what the heck and bought it!

We shot it yesturday. He calls the sights his old man dot sites, he likes them.  The gun is so smooth, the trigger rivels the triggers I've felt in the best 1911's i've ever handled.

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 09:55
Very nice.  I like the "big dot."
-Matt
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 10:00

it does cover a lot of the target when shooting at paper but for fast target acquitition, you cant' beat it.  reminds me of the XS big dot sight I use to  have on a glock 26

Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 10:29
Originally posted by SVT_Tactical SVT_Tactical wrote:

it does cover a lot of the target

Yeah, but it ain't for shootin' groups.

Come and Get Some
-Matt
lucytuma View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucytuma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 10:35
Very sharp!
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." - Thomas Jefferson
bugsNbows View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God
bowsNbugs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bugsNbows Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 10:44
I've got the XS Big Dot on my Ruger SP101...love it.  Excellent
If we're not suppose to eat animals...how come they're made of meat?
               Anomymous
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 10:53
That is sweet!  I am leaning towards a Sig 226 9mm with alloy frame, but i really like the CZ handguns.

how much was he able to pick it up for?  The 226s are LEO trade-ins... Very Good for $325. Excellent for $375.  I'm finding these prices hard to beat!

I was disappointed at the pricing of the guns at the Sportsman show....I had expected better..NOT!

There was one company"Cabot" that made custom 1911s, the slides were amazingly tight and slid like glass!!! 3.5lb crisp trigger.  base starting price $4589.00  Loco  I want to shoot the darn thing.... not marry it!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 11:10

less than 6 bills BP,  new the gun with black grips would round about that, factor in everything thats been done to it and i think we got a good deal.

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 11:19
Yep, I'd say he got a good deal!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 11:20
I pays to peruse the pawn shops periodically! Thunbs Up
--Thomas Jefferson

silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 19:25
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

That is sweet!  I am leaning towards a Sig 226 9mm with alloy frame, but i really like the CZ handguns.

how much was he able to pick it up for?  The 226s are LEO trade-ins... Very Good for $325. Excellent for $375.  I'm finding these prices hard to beat!

I was disappointed at the pricing of the guns at the Sportsman show....I had expected better..NOT!

There was one company"Cabot" that made custom 1911s, the slides were amazingly tight and slid like glass!!! 3.5lb crisp trigger.  base starting price $4589.00  Loco  I want to shoot the darn thing.... not marry it!

I have just gone through this and pick up my Sig tomorrow.  In 9mm I'd get a Hi-power.  Sig has factory re-mans.  In used Sigs I'd look at the condition of the frame rails. 

I have short fat fingers...  That drove me away from the C-Z. The trigger reach is better on the Sig.  The parts count on the Sig is lower.  I like the feel of the C-Z better.  The .22 kit for the Sig is more afordable.  There is only one magazine for  the Sig.  You can get a swap top to change calibers with the Sig.  Bar-Sto also does caliber change barrels.  You don't get that from C-Z.  For the Cult following of C-Z- I'm suprised at the lack of aftermarket support.  It seems to have dried up.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 22:44
I like my Sig!  Not the most expensive one, but still a Sig.

The SIG SAUER® SP2022® is the latest version of our popular polymer framed pistol and features a durable, lightweight and wear-resistant polymer frame with the added tactical versatility of an integrated accessory rail. The slide is machined from a solid block of stainless steel and protected by SIG’s black Nitron® finish. Available in 9mm, and .40 S&W, the SP2022 can easily be converted from a Double-Action/Single-Action to a Double-Action Only configuration through a unique integral fire control unit. It also features the SIG SAUER four-point safety system. The SIG SAUER polymer framed pistols has earned an enviable reputation and proven track record of reliable performance in the hands of law enforcement professionals. In December of 2004 the U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command at the Rock Island Arsenal awarded SIG SAUER a contract for 5,000 SIG SAUER SP2022 pistols chambered in 9mm.
take em!
Tip69 View Drop Down
Tip Stick

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tip69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/06/2012 at 22:46
Opps... sorry SVT...  very nice CZ.  sounds like your Dad got a good one!  I too have found some great buys at pawn shops.
take em!
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 06:10
Yeah that is a very nice tricked out CZ!

Tip I'm looking at a Sig 226.  It's an older alloy framed German police trade in, similar to a P220 but with double stack mag.  Even though there is now plenty of datas on poly framed sig and glock I am still leary of getting one...especially a used one!
--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 07:42
Bud, being I'm loving my CZ that i carry daily, have you looked at the P07 Duty? availible in 9mm or 40, you can change it from S/A-D/A with decocker or S/A with safety in about 2-3 minutes.  The gun shoots awesome and carries good too.

shooter07 View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Knight
Optics Jedi Knight
Shooting Sprout

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shooter07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 07:44
Very nice! Excellent
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum

"Issac Newton invented gravity because some asshole hit him with an apple"
-Chris Moltisanti
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 08:13
Hmmm didn't know about being able to change the DA/SA.

I see you added a grip sleave, ?pacmyer?

How well does it fit your hand G, your pinky hanging off the bottom?

Here is the Sig 226 I'm considering.

--Thomas Jefferson

Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 08:34
I had the sleeve on to see how I liked it, I don't use it anymore.  Grip is great, I can take pictures later if you want.  I had that sig 229 for a long time as a daily carry, this CZ trumps it in balance and feel.  It also carries better because of weight.  If someone was offering me either for free but I could only take one, I'd choose the CZ it works better for me for CC.
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 17:03

I just placed my 226 .40 Elite next to my Hi-power... The Sig is like a F-450 next a 1/2 ton. 

On the Sig your looking at I'd get a Short or Medium trigger. Look for Customized Creations on the Sig Fourms. 
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

jselsor View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jselsor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/07/2012 at 20:16
Pawn shops can be great if your a good negotiator. It seems like they usualy ask retail +10%!  
Dont take yourself to seriously
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic