OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Why not Sightron?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jccch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why not Sightron?
    Posted: February/17/2006 at 00:39

Yesterday I had the chance to compare scopes 1st hand. I was really impressed how the Sightron SII compared with Nikon, leupold and bushnell. Brighter, clearer and they cost much less.

I know there are some of you here that has used Sightron scopes. So far, I can't find anything negative with this scope. It has a good warranty.

I would like to hear from all, why I should not buy a Sightron Scope.

John

cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 02:54

I doubt you'll get much negative feedback on the Sightrons here.

Everybody that's used them seems to be impressed.

Koshkin's the real Sightron expert on the OT and I'm sure would be more than happy to answer any question you may have.  

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
JPinSC View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 18:50
Their warranty is great. I had a 44mag contender that did in a 2x scope.  The dealer put on a new scope and I walked out of the shop ready to go back to the range and resight in.  No sending back, no waiting, etc.
newscope View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newscope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 20:09
I have a different view.
In December I bought a 3x12x42. When I received it I compared it to my simmons aetec. Nowhere near as bright and slightly fuzzy. I sent it back. I kept reading the positive reviews and decided that I must have had a bad scope. so I ordered another S2 version, an illuminated recticle sightron. When i received it I lloked through it in the evening as the sun was setting. My first impression was FINALLY! Looks Good! Then I looked west after the sun had gone down. Huge flair, couldn't see much. OK, I told myself, not fair; any scope would flare at this time of day (set at 10 power). So I looked at the simmons aetec, bright & clear(10 power). Looked back at the sightron. Sent it back. I guess I could have gotten two bad ones in a row.
jccch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jccch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2006 at 21:55

Well, I bought a SII 6.5 x 20 x 50 w/ side focus. I had it mounted at the shop. I looked through a Leupold VX-III 6.5 x 20 x40. The Sightron was brighter and clearer. The dealer's back door opens on a brushy area about 100 yards out. He asked me to find his deer target that was back there. I found it very quickly and it was under a tree in the shade. I haven't shot this gun yet, Hopefully I will next week, So I will let you know how I feel then.

John

koshkin View Drop Down
Dark Lord of Optics

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2006 at 02:18
Well, I guess everybody's experience is different.  I've had a bunch of SIghtrons and still have a couple here and there and I've never had any problems with them.

Sightron S2 and Weaver Grand Slam are the best bang for the buck in optics right now, IMO.

SInce SIghtrons tend to have longer eye relief and more reticle choices, I tend to lean toward them.

ILya
cheaptrick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheaptrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2006 at 12:27

Koshkin: (Or anyone else)

Any of your Sightron's had target knobs??

If at first you don't secede...try..try again.
jccch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jccch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2006 at 21:17

Mine has target knobs, very easly adjusted! I still haven't shot it yet but I was out scoping crows at over 300 yards the other day! It is very clear!

John

Longshot View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Longshot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 22:07
I bought a Sightron 4-14x42 ill. Mil-dot last year on sale.  Mounted and hunted with it.  The windage and elevation did what they were supposed to at the range although i didn't do a box test.  This model comes with sort of a semi target knobs, not real tall but not short like a standard hunting scope.  Clearity is good, better than my Leupold 3-10x50 but not quiet as bright as the Leo.  The ill. reticle only has three settings and tends to be a little too bright on all 3 settings.  I'm not very good with a Mil-dot but the dots don't seem to bother the sight picture.  All in all for $299 I'm pleased except for the ill. reticle. 
catusbill View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote catusbill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 22:18
I'm staying out of this one. But, I would be concerned about the flairing at sun set.
jccch View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jccch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2006 at 22:42

Bill,

I will check it out and let you know what I find out. I got my ammo in the mail today, so hopefully I can do some shooting tomorrow!!!

John

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic