OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Spotting Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper HD 20-60x80
    Posted: February/11/2012 at 12:57

Has any one had good feild experience with this spotting scope? I looked through one at cabelas yesterday but looking through things inside the store is a little different. I'm thinking about getting this one but I can't find a lot of reviews on it. What do you guys think?

msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 15:39
Really? No one has even looked through one of these? Does that mean I should be worried about Viper HD?
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 15:43
I looked at one at the store, and thought the image looked pretty nice, but it is a really big scope.  It was noticeably bigger than my Razor 85HD.  If I was in the market for a big scope at that price range, I would probably take a chance on the Viper HD.
-Matt
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 15:50
I did notice it was pretty heavy and it is a big scope. So for hunting do you recommend I go with something smaller? Is there anything you've been impressed with? I like your opinions Bitterroot, thank you for your input.

Now I have another question. If i'm concerned about light gathering, should I stick with the 80 or do you think I would be safe with something smaller?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 17:25
What are your uses? What will you be hunting? Where will you be hunting? Will you be hunting from a vehicle? Day hunting? Backpacking? All of the above? If so, mostly one or the other? Will you be digiscoping?

What is your budget?

The answers to these questions will help us give some suggestions.
-Matt
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/14/2012 at 17:43
Hunting and long range shooting up to about 800 yards. I'll be hunting mostly elk and deer here in Utah. Pretty much all that you have said. I'll be backpacking and doing day hunts

This Vortex is my max when it comes to price..so $900

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/15/2012 at 10:06
I have a two spotter setup. I use a full size Vortex Razor HD for general hunting, range use, and digiscoping. I use a Nikon ED50 for backpacking.

You have two different ways to go. You could get one part of the two spotter setup, and wait to get the other. Or you could get a compromise 65mm spotter to handle both duties.

Around your price range you could get a Zen Ray ED2 spotter, and save for a compact. The Zen is extremely similar in form and function to the Vortex Razor HD. In fact, eyepieces interchange between the ED2, Razor HD, and Swarovski ATMs.

http://swfa.com/Zen-Ray-Spotting-Scopes-C3450.aspx

Or look into the 65mm ViperHD as a compromise.

swfa.com/Vortex-Viper-HD-Spotting-Scopes-C3483.aspx

Or the Pentax PF 65ED.

swfa.com/Pentax-20-60x65-ED-Spotting-Scope-P8183.aspx

Or start little and work big.

swfa.com/Nikon-50mm-Fieldscopes-C476.aspx
-Matt
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 15:59
How is the optic quality on your razor when you have it zoomed pass 40x?

Is the glass on razor HD and the viper HD the same?

Edited by Chris Farris II - February/27/2012 at 13:12
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 16:06
Oops! didn't mean to throw that link in there. Actually a guy reviewed the Viper HD on the cabelas website and said he didn't like his viper because the image looked grainy when he had it on set on anything past 40x.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 16:32
I wouldn't trust just one review on a retailer site.  See if you can get your hands on one yourself.  "Grainy" doesn't even make sense to me. 

I don't know what you mean about if the glass is the same.  Are you referring to the actual optical glass?  Or coatings? The glass and coatings are chosen by Vortex for their OEM to use in construction.  These two designs have little in common, save being porro prism spotters of the same brand name.

The optical quality of my Razor HD is sharp, bright, and well corrected right up to 60x.  I actually think the design is capable of higher magnifications, if Vortex chooses to release a higher magnification eyepiece.
-Matt
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 18:32
Yes I was referring to the actual optical glass.

I figured I shouldn't take the guys comment to seriously. I'm just listening to anything anyone has to say about it. Bucky
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 18:38
I was able to look through one at Cabelas last week. It looked great to me but I want to see what it looks like outside. I don't know if they would let it go outside of the building or not. Maybe I should just buy it...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 21:22
Originally posted by msummer88 msummer88 wrote:

I was able to look through one at Cabelas last week. It looked great to me but I want to see what it looks like outside. I don't know if they would let it go outside of the building or not. Maybe I should just buy it...
I would be shocked if they wouldn't let you take it outside.

I spent about an hour comparing riflescopes outside the Post Falls ID store a while back.

Then I left and purchased from SWFA.
Mouth Taped Shut
-Matt
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/19/2012 at 23:02
I'll ask next time and see if they'll let me. Looks like I'll be getting it for the most part though. I'll have to let you know how I like it.
azcoueshntr View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote azcoueshntr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/26/2012 at 22:17
I own the 15-45x65 Viper HD and I love it. Very clear glass even at 45x. If you are going to be backpacking I cant imagine you packing the 80mm. Used the scope extensivly on a coues hunt in december and I couldnt be happier with it. You wont be disappointed with the scope just make sure you get a good tripod and head. I wish I had more time behind the scope to give you more info.
msummer88 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msummer88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/27/2012 at 12:52
Originally posted by azcoueshntr azcoueshntr wrote:

I own the 15-45x65 Viper HD and I love it. Very clear glass even at 45x. If you are going to be backpacking I cant imagine you packing the 80mm. Used the scope extensivly on a coues hunt in december and I couldnt be happier with it. You wont be disappointed with the scope just make sure you get a good tripod and head. I wish I had more time behind the scope to give you more info.

Good to hear! Thank you for your input. 
muleycrazy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muleycrazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/27/2012 at 14:13
The 15-45x65 is the way to go. Great imiage nicer to pack and should really due everything you said you were looking for. Good luck
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic