OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Back to the "just one" discussion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ahiaring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Back to the "just one" discussion
    Posted: February/16/2012 at 18:36
I was talking with my elk/deer hunging buddy today who just happens to be ex military, marine corp scout sniper for 8 years...We were talking about hunting and shooting and we came to the 1 setup (rifle, caliber, optic discussion)

Having used S&B for most of his time, he is a strong proponent and his experiences and reccomendations is where I get my liking for them. He said that for 99 percent of what he would be doing shooting wise for the rest of his life - big game hunting (no dangerous game) long range shooting competitions, and (other contract stuff - i didn't ask) He would be set with an accurate .308 with a proper s&b optic.

So I was thinking, if I was to adopt that philosphy, sell all or most of my rifles and buy a Schmidt Bender Police Marksman say 3-12X50, badger rings, 20 moa base, and mount it on a Remington 5r in .308 that would just about give me a "civilian version" of his idea....

What you guys think???
Alan Robertson View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 13:47
Your friend is on it with his estimation of one rifle for his reasons, and your equipment selection is great. I've no idea how the threadedheaded wonders operate, but Army snipers have a whole range of calibers and weapons available to them.
My idea of a single all- purpose rifle isn't as heavy as your idea.

Also, I'm not sure that just one rifle will fill the needs of every situation... a guy really needs a whole bunch of rifles to let the barrels cool while you keep knockin' down zombies.

There's a similar discussion in this thread: http://www.opticstalk.com/topic32037.html
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
anomad View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 17:05
I love "one gun" guys. I worked with a guy in Alaska and another guy in Idaho. Both had one rifle (except maybe a 22 in the closet) in 300 win mag. Both were very accomplished hunters.

Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 17:22
shot placement is king ... 308 will kill anything in the lower 48 and the variety of 30 cal bullets makes things even better.  300 WIn mag would work great as well, just a little more to shoot and a little shorter barrel life.  My 20 inch 308 with is one of my favorite rifles.  I would "guess" his affection towards the 308 and S&B optics has a lot to do with being able to run the system in his sleep and knowing 308 ballistics like we know the ABC's

There is a LOT of merit to the "one rifle" setup.  Become one with the system and spend more time putting rounds on target than building a better mousetrap.

I am in the process of selling off a few more rifles and sliming down the herd and consolidating calibers.  The big draw for me on this was the cost of Optics.  I can't afford high end glass on all my rifles and having to keep multiple sets of reloading supplies on hand got old.  Sliming down to 338/308/223 and calling it good.  Im kicking around going to a DTA SRS and having the 338 and 308 bolt setup on the same chasis.

If I could only have one centerfire though ... it would be a 308
rustic View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rustic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 17:58
Originally posted by Sapper524 Sapper524 wrote:

shot placement is king ... 308 will kill anything in the lower 48 and the variety of 30 cal bullets makes things even better.  300 WIn mag would work great as well, just a little more to shoot and a little shorter barrel life.  My 20 inch 308 with is one of my favorite rifles.  I would "guess" his affection towards the 308 and S&B optics has a lot to do with being able to run the system in his sleep and knowing 308 ballistics like we know the ABC's

There is a LOT of merit to the "one rifle" setup.  Become one with the system and spend more time putting rounds on target than building a better mousetrap.

I am in the process of selling off a few more rifles and sliming down the herd and consolidating calibers.  The big draw for me on this was the cost of Optics.  I can't afford high end glass on all my rifles and having to keep multiple sets of reloading supplies on hand got old.  Sliming down to 338/308/223 and calling it good.  Im kicking around going to a DTA SRS and having the 338 and 308 bolt setup on the same chasis.

If I could only have one centerfire though ... it would be a 308

I agree .308 for me.
RotoReuter_DM View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RotoReuter_DM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 18:25
I love the 308 and that S&B is top notch! I'd never spend that much but hey! Used it in the Marines aswell. I'm good with a fixed SS!
Old Mil ftw
silver View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 20:18
Stuff like a 20 moa base screws up your short game.  You will have more short shots than far ones.  If you are doing one gun then remember that short is more important than far.  You also need to think 24/7-365 and crap weather.
"If we weren't all crazy we, We would go insane."   Jimmie Buffet

WWW.formitch.com

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 20:18
There's an old saw: "Beware of the man with one rifle".

Too bad you youngsters never heard of a .30-06.
I guess I love 'em, I sure have a pile of 'em, but nary a .308.

Bubba said, "I already have a .30-06, why would I need another rifle?"
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Sparky View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sparky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 20:43
Originally posted by ahiaring ahiaring wrote:

So I was thinking, if I was to adopt that philosophy, sell all or most of my rifles and buy a Schmidt Bender Police Marksman say 3-12X50, badger rings, 20 moa base, and mount it on a Remington 5r in .308 that would just about give me a "civilian version" of his idea....

What you guys think???

I like your setup but I would omit the 20MOA base. Plus I would replace the trigger on the 5R.

My 5R has a different trigger and I went with a Nightforce 3.5-15x50. I just was not up for spending around 3K on a scope. But if I did get rid of at least the majority of my other rifles I would have enough for a Schmidt & Bender or maybe a Premier Heritage 3-15x50 DT.

Sapper524 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sapper524 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 20:43
Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

GREAT point ... Sits right in the gap between the 308 and 300 ballistically, same 30 cal bullet selection, easy to get factory ammo ...

jason miller View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jason miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 21:38
What qualifies for "youngster"? I'm 28, and finally have the one rifle I have always wanted and will not sell- a Win 70 30-06...

Originally posted by Alan Robertson Alan Robertson wrote:

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Robertson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/17/2012 at 23:21
Good job, jason.
.30-06 dressed in M70 is ever so cool.

cutoff's 29
"Garg'n uair dhuisgear"
Wapiti1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wapiti1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 07:04
For me the conversation comes down to where I am going to lug this perfect rifle and what it will be shooting.  If I only get one (what a terrible thought, I like variety), it needs to be packable for dall sheep, powerful enough for elk, yet suitable for prairie dogs (low recoil, accurate). 

I would define it as a rifle that weighs 6.5-7 pounds fully loaded with scope and sling.  24" barrel in 6.5/284.  It would have two scopes: lightweight 2-7 or 3-9, and a tactical/target style for varmints and range work. 

My father has used one Remington 30/06 for over 40 years with zero complaints and I can't remember him taking more than one shot.  A great rifle/cartridge for sure, but perfection varies greatly among the masses.

Your Truly,
Cotton

Game animals were probably harmed whenever I did whatever it was that I did.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 07:58
To keep this "on track", need to ID which ONE rifle scope you would choose for your ONE rifle...
This is the "Rifle Scopes" thread...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
300S&W View Drop Down
Optics God
Optics God

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300S&W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 09:16

I don't know what brand I'd choose right off but it would be near the configuration of the "only one" scope I used for 25+yrs.  3.5-10x40
"I ain't got time to bleed!"
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 09:54
I think one of the new high-erector ratio scopes would be the way to go on a just-one scope.  Maybe a 2.5-25 March?
-Matt
jonoMT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonoMT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 09:59
Yes, we should keep it on track, but I gotta question a 20 MOA base "screwing up your short game." Sorry, but the worst case scenario is that you might be ~ 1.5" low @ 10 yards. While that might be a problem if you're trying to shoot through a loop hole 10 yards away, it's not going to make a game animal or zombie feel any better to get shot in the lower part of the heart instead of the center.

ahiaring, you could do just fine in many scenarios with a .308 Win (or 7mm-08) and a 3-12 S&B would be my second choice of scope after the Premier LT 3-15 (.25 lbs less weight, 3X more on the high end and $500 less). You're right on to get a quality base and rings. I'd also consider Seekins because they're a bit lighter. I had a 5R, which was a great rifle, but was sacrificed to do a custom .308 Win. If I was buying one again, I'd just go with the 20" barrel.

While I could have gone with any short-action cartridge for the new build, I stuck with .308 Win because ammo is widely available and there are bullets like the 175 gr. Berger OTM that have very good ballistics and can be loaded to mag length.
Reaction time is a factor...
Wapiti1 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wapiti1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 10:42
Sorry to get a bit off track.  As Bitteroot Bulls mentioned, the March Compact 2.5-25X42is very appealing based on size,weight and features.  Lower priced options might be a Pride Fowler RR800, or SS 3-9X42.  Though these may be less functional as long range competition scopes. 

Most tactical style and target style scopes are large and heavy.  Not my cup of tea for an all around setup. 
Your Truly,
Cotton

Game animals were probably harmed whenever I did whatever it was that I did.
Kickboxer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kickboxer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 11:22
IF I TRULY could "only have one", as much as I love the big bores, I think I would have to go with the FNH FNAR with a March 2.5-25...  OR... the BAR 30-06 with the same scope.  I probably lean a little toward the 30-06, but it would be a "last minute pick up and run" decision.  If the zombies are coming, definitely the FNH FNAR...  the March is just an incredible scope.  I'm thinking of trading my Hensoldt in on one...
Opinion,untempered by fact,is ignorance.

There are some who do not fear death... for they are more afraid of not really living
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/18/2012 at 14:55
What will your wife think...Chair HitIt's not the choice, its the work she put into it.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic