OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vintage Porros

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 21:26
Some of the true Russian KOMZ or Bagaish porros seem to be decent from what I have seen posted elsewhere.  There was a discussion, Bird Forum I think, in several places where the Chinese Made in Russia knock offs came up.
Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/23/2014 at 21:36
The Chinese knock-offs look slightly different and don't have central focusing, and don't have enough serial numbers....I hope these are genuine...
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/29/2014 at 21:30
I got my Baigish binoculars today!!!  Big Grin  They look good to me!!  

I saw one advertiser on ebay who actually claimed that the binoculars were not GENUINE BAIGISH!!  He wanted $59 plus postage.  His photos were different from the ones I got!  His binoculars had the writing on the opposite prisms!  The serial number only had seven digits!  My binocular has got an 8-digit serial number and BAK 4 prisms!  

I got some instructions in....Russian!!  BAK 4 prisms...I can see that by holding the binos at arms length and see a circular exit pupil.   

Anyway, they are exceedingly clear.  I guess about a 60% sweet spot.  No CA that I can find.....

What the Hell....for $41 !!!   Buy one!!!    

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181112818283?_trksid=p2055120.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

m
Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/30/2014 at 06:46
UPDATE:  Yesterday I was pretty exhausted after a very busy two days.  Now, I am a little more awake. 

These Baigish binoculars have a slight rose color coating on the lenses.  Very cool 3D effect.  I don't see any rolling ball effect.  150M/1000 yds.  ( still trying to figure that out in feet....450 feet? )  

They are very lightweight.  The little strap-holder slots are too small to put regular skinny straps through them....I guess I'll put some rawhide through there and tie a knot and make a loop, so I can connect my binocular strap to these guys.  

The above photos are from the ebay ad that I ordered from.  That's what I got.  Cardboard box with polar bears, little black zippy bag,  a plastic rain cover for the oculars,  and a chintsy little strap that resembles Bret Maverick's string tie.  

But, for the price, I am tickled with my new toy!  ( If the lenses fall out tomorrow, I will not be happy! )  

Visit the Ed Show
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2014 at 11:46
Welp....there are a couple of Swift Audubons on the ebay website this week....they both look clean as new!  Probably 45 years old.  Look gorgeous.  How are these rated compared to today's stuff?  What would be a sensible value on these fellers?  We're looking at about $11 postage....

Visit the Ed Show
Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2014 at 19:02
Ed,

Those things are excellent, even superb by today's standards no less.  They are heavy as the dickens and you won't be packing them a long ways.

They look to be the type 2 b made between 1980-84.  They sold for about $205 in those days.  I think Hiyoshi made those for Swift.  Their weight is a bit over 38.0 oz.

Those should have a tripod adapter on the right barrel and not on the end of the hinge as is typical today.

There is a superb historical review of the Swift here on Bird forum:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=42944

Look to post 15.

They are truly a superb classic binocular.  Just their size and lack of waterproofing is about the only ding.

As to value, they can be wonky.  I'd say $150-200 tops, but you never know, I snagged a jewel for $20, so you never know.

Steve
"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted". William Bruce Cameron

Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/31/2014 at 19:08
Yep....both binocs from both ebay sales have the tripod screw under the barrel.  Amazingly, both binoculars are about the exact same condition---almost perfect!

Maybe I should spring for one of them!  

Visit the Ed Show
Pierre D. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierre D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 12:42
ED

Curious to know if you did you end up getting a Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44?

If yes let us know about it...

I bought one off ebay in April and have been very pleased with it!
Paid 68.00 + 12.75 shipping so not too terribly expensive.

- Wide FOV: 420ft @ 1000 yds
- clear optics; these BaK4 prism binoculars were neoprene gasket sealed to keep internal optics clean (weather resistant but not waterproof)     
- good control of CA, good sharp resolution, if just a little soft at the very edges. Impressive for their era - they were made in 1961

Pierre
All the best,
Pierre
John 14:6
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/09/2014 at 18:41
No....I chickened out...and I believe the End Date of the auction was going to be while I was at work....

Those two went for something like $128 and $158 plus postage...

I just couldn't get serious about it after thinking about all the other things I need to do.  Whatever
Visit the Ed Show
Pierre D. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierre D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/12/2014 at 20:21
Ed

If you are still interested, there is a Mark II Swift Audubon 8.5 x 44 bino on ebay right now

It's a "Buy it Now" - ebay item # 251539658974 - price is 130.11 + shipping
it's in Great Britain

Has orig leather case + all lens caps, looks to be in very good condition, better condition and newer model than the one I bought in April

closes on 23 June so you have time   
All the best,
Pierre
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/13/2014 at 00:37
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June/14/2014 at 17:39
Bucky
Visit the Ed Show
Pierre D. View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pierre D. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July/17/2014 at 10:25
Ed

If you are still interested in a Swift Audubon

There is a 1965 Swift Audubon model 804 listed ebay right now as an
auction:
- current bid: 31.00
- listing ends on 20 July '14 at 7:32 AM (Pacific Time = 10:32 AM Eastern Time)
- eBay item number: 151356080989
- link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/151356080989?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Originally posted by Son of Ed Son of Ed wrote:

No....I chickened out...and I believe the End Date of the auction was going to be while I was at work....

Those two went for something like $128 and $158 plus postage...

I just couldn't get serious about it after thinking about all the other things I need to do.  Whatever
All the best,
Pierre
Son of Ed View Drop Down
Chuck Norris
Chuck Norris

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Son of Ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August/02/2014 at 12:08
That bino went for a lot of money at the end.  
Visit the Ed Show
bratters View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bratters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/11/2014 at 06:29
Hi guys - I'm new to this forum which I found in my search for information. I'm very happy to meet a bunch of people who retain a love of old porros.

I could do with some help. I've collected for many years but stumbled on a pair of Japanese porros in a junk shop a few days ago. No case, no lens caps and looking very scruffy was a pair of Hitomi 8x30s, priced @ $10. 

I'd never heard of them but the right marks were visible, they didn't look abused and the interiors seemed clean enough so I bought 'em.

Fortunately all they wanted was a little external TLC. Moving parts were a bit tight but easily fixed and the insides were gleaming - clean as whistle & straight out of the factory. Not a trace of dust, fungus or lens film so no disassembly needed.

But the real good news was the vision - just stunning. 

I have a regular set of binocular test points ranging from a 20 foot distant bird table through a 10 mile distant TV mast and I compare results against a standard table of marks set by a pair of Zeiss 10x50. The Hitomi scored brilliantly in all respects. Bright and sharp as a pin, excellent focus and a joy to use. They even pick up the TV mast guy ropes and that is some result for an 8x30.

So these have me baffled. If they are so good - and believe me, they are -  how come nobody seems to have heard of Hitomi? Was there a name change? was it a test run? or have I just been plumb lucky?

The manufacturers marks are JB230 and JE6. 

Left plate - HITOMI   Coated Optics     plus a circle within  triangle design containing letters HOC.

Right plate - 8x30   Field 7.5   No. 65022

I would guess early '50s(?) with a standard finish for the type/period and no rubber eye reliefs

Any info really welcomed. Only hope I'm posting in the right place!

Thanks JB.

Klamath View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klamath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2014 at 20:04
Post some pictures if you can please.  Show the relevant information you reference.  Additionally, and in particular, there should be one or two JL ###'s.  These will be either a J-B ### and a J-E ###.  They are usually located at the objective end of the central hinge, but sometimes appear elsewhere.

The list of Japanese manufacturers of that era ran into the hundreds.  They ranged from small mom and pop shops that made small numbers to remaining Japanese giants like Kamakura, Nikon and Kowa.  J-B indicates the maker of the binocular and the J-E indicates who made the housing.

There were several prominent types of Japanese design shared by many.  There were only one or two basic designs (from housing appearance anyway) in each objective size category.

I do not see the name Hitomi in any of the manufacturers on my list.  They may have been a seller of optics who had a company make binoculars for them, but I really don't know for sure.

It is not particularly unusual to come across a view that will amaze you, especially for 50 or so year old binoculars.  The Japanese got to the point where they had the porro figured out.
Steve

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/16/2014 at 21:55
I prefer Porro prism binoculars especially those made in Japan. (i.e. Minox BD 10x44 BP) 8>)
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 10:17
Well I'm on my way to another collection.... Whacko

Now I've done it!!!!

You guys hooked me good!!!

Unfortunately I wear eyeglasses so the extreme Wide Angle models are out.

Given that what WA binos have SOME eye relief so the eyeglass wearer can use them?

I've already started canvasing eBay and my first buy is a:

Sears 7X50mm Binoculars Model 473.25130 delivered for $15.80 Shocked

It looks prestine!

next a rangemaster then a couple of Jena(s)....  i'm a glutton...
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 12:34
Originally posted by budperm budperm wrote:

Unfortunately I wear eyeglasses so the extreme Wide Angle models are out.

Given that what WA binos have SOME eye relief so the eyeglass wearer can use them?

Bud,

On most vintage Porro prism binoculars you can either pull off the rubber eyecups or unscrew the 
plastic or metal eyecups.  This will give you additional eye relief for your eyeglasses.
Then all you have to do is glue some rubber O-rings around the metal eyepiece housings
to keep from scratching your eyeglasses.

I did this DIY project to the eyecups/eyepieces of my vintage Nikon 9x35 7.3* Porro prism binocular,
I also did the same thing to my vintage SPECTRUM I 20X65 Porro prism.   
It may not work with every vintage Porro prism eyepiece housing.

Hatco - 05.30.009B - Rubber Wash

Edited by Bird Watcher - November/24/2014 at 17:16
budperm View Drop Down
Optics Retard
Optics Retard
show me your sheep!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote budperm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November/20/2014 at 15:36
check this out... one of the guy on another thread pulled this out of his hat...

Maybe this will help.

Japanese Manufacturer's Codes for Optical Products.

Most Japanese binoculars from the 1960s and several decades later carry one
or two tiny marks on the body, about 2 mm in height, frequently adjacent to
the hinge axis on the rear, between the objectives.  'JB' and two or three
digits identifies the manufacturer of the finished binocular, and 'JE'
identifies the maker of the body.  The J symbol has a small horizontal line
extending from the middle of the J, and is explained in a pamphlet from the
Japan Binoculars Export Promotion Association, _'63 Binoculars From Japan_. 
"Combining the letters L and J (standing for Light Machinery of
Japan)......on the shoulder hinges or support strut of all approved
binoculars manufactured in Japan since November 1959."  The JBEPA had their
US office in the Japan Trade Center, 393 Fifth Ave, NY.
This list was obtained by Bill Beacom, who arranged for its translation, and
converted to electronic form by Fred Schwartzman.  A second, later, list
added further companies; the earlier list used 'Kogaku' and the later list
used 'Optical'.  No dates are available for either list.
We are looking for the manufacturers represented by the missing numbers 65,
66, and 209.
=============
Checkup On Quality -  JAPANESE BINOCULAR INSPECTION INSTITUTE

Binoculars from Japan are rigidly inspected to make sure that every
component is of top quality and that all mechanisms are in perfect working
order. All optical products that have passed these rigorous standards are
tagged “PASSED” by the Government’s Japan Telescopes Inspection Institute.

The JL mark:  Only those binocular and optical manufacturers meeting Japan’s
Government standards of inspection and quality may use the authorized JL
symbol.  This symbol accompanied by the letter “E” or “B” and the number of
the respective manufacturer is engraved on the objective-end hinge or on the
cover plate. The letter “E” designating the metalwork manufacturer is
engraved on the right and the letter “B” designating the manufacturer of the
finished product is on the left.

“PASSED” labels.  This oval silver paper label marked “JTII” certifies that
binoculars have complied with the export standards of the Japan Telescopes
Inspection Institute. It is usually found on the axle of the binoculars.
-----
The quality of the JB marked products are rechecked by the Institute for
items that are exported. This rigorous Government system insures that only
top quality binoculars are exported from Japan. Know your dealer. Your final
check on a quality pair of binoculars is your faith and reliance in your
dealer. A reputable dealer will stand behind his optical products.
=====================
Below are two lists, one in numeric order and the second in alphabetic
order.

JB 1     Toa Kogaku Co.Ltd., Tokyo
JB 2     Katsuma Kogaku Kikai Co.Ltd.
JB 3     Toei Kogaku Seisakujo Co.Ltd.
JB 4     Toei Kogaku Co. Ltd., Hatogaya-Shi
JB 5     Meiji Seiko Co. Ltd.
JB 6     Asahi Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd., Tokyo.
JB 7     Nippon Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 8     Fuji Sbashin Koki Co. Ltd.
JB 9     Sato Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 10     Toko Seiki Co. Ltd.
JB 11     Omiya Kogaku Kikai Seisalcujo, Tokyo
JB 12     Orora Kogaku Co. Ltd. - Aurora Kogaku Co. Ltd.
JB 14     Ueta Seiki Co. Ltd.
JB 15     Tokyo Oputikaru Co. Ltd.- Tokyo Optical Co. Ltd.
JB 16     Sankei Koki Seisakujo Inc.
JB 17     Otake Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd., Tokyo
JB 18     Tokyo Kogaku Kikai Co. Ltd.
JB 19     FujiKogeisha Co. Ltd.
JB 20     Mitsui Koki Seisakujo Co. Ltd.
JB 21     Kokisha Co. Ltd., Tokyo
JB 22     Itabashi Kogaku Kikai Seisakujo Inc.,Tokyo
JB 23     Ishii Kogaku Co. Ltd.,Yokohama
JB 24     Ichikawa Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.,Tokyo
JB 25     Zuiho Kogaku Seiki Co. Ltd., Tokyo
JB 26     Futaba Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 27     Sanyo Koki Co. Ltd.
JB 28     Fuji Seinñtsukiki Seisakujo. Inc.
JB 29     Meikosha Inc.
JB 30     Kofu Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 31     Muraki Koko Co. Ltd.
JB 32     Miyako Seiki Co. Ltd.
JB 33     Teito Koki Co. Ltd.
JB 34     Musashi Kogaku Co. Ltd.
JB 35     Raito Koki Seisakujo Co. Ltd. - Lite Koki Seisakujo Co. Ltd.
JB 36     Jiyama Seiko Co.
JB 37     Yoshinon Kogaku Kikai Co. Ltd.
JB 38     Nakabishi Kogaku Inc.
JB 39     Josei Koki Inc.
JB 40     Mutsu Koki Inc.
JB 41     Shinsei Kogaku Seiki Co. Ltd.
JB 42     Nippon Garasu Kogyo Co. Ltd. Takinokawa Syuchojo
JB 43     Tozaki Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 44     likura Kogaku Seisakujo Inc.
JB 45     Taisei Kogaku Kogyo Co; Ltd.
JB 45     Tamron Co., Ltd., Tokyo
JB 46     Otsuka Kogaku Co. Ltd., Tokyo
JB 47     Tokuhiro Koki Seisakusho Inc., Tokyo
JB 48     Kazusa Koki Seisakujo Inc.
JB 49     Sankyo Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 50     Tanaka Koki Seisakujo. Inc.
JB 51     Yoshimoto Kogaku Co. Ltd.
JB 52     Kanto Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 53     Inoue Koki Seisakujo Inc.
JB 54     Suzuki Kogaku Seiki Co. Ltd.
JB 55     Enshu Kogaku Seiki Co. Ltd.,Tokyo.
JB 56     Hiyoshi Kogaku Co. Ltd.
JB 57     Oji Kogaku Kikai Co. Ltd.
JB 58     Ryuko Seisakujo
JB 59     Mitsui Kogaku Seisakujo
JB 60     Akebono Optical, Tokyo
JB 60     Wakaba Koki Seisakujo Inc.
JB 61     Meiho Kogaku Seisakujo Inc.
JB 62     Oshiro Kogaku Co. Ltd.
JB 63     Ofuna Kogaku Kogyo Co. Ltd.
JB 64     Kobayashi Kogaku Scisakitjo. Inc.
JB 65    
JB 66    
JB 67     Esaka Kogaku
JB 68     Sono Kogaku Kikai Co. Ltd.
JB 69     Akebono Kogaku Kogyo Co
JB 70     Sugamo Kogaku Seisakujo
JB 71     Toho Koki Co. Ltd., Tokyo
JB 72     Rubina Koki Co. Ltd.
JB 73     Tsuchida Kogaku Seisakujo.
JB 74     Omori Sogo Kogaku Kogyo
JB 75     Seki Kogaku Kikai Co. Ltd.
JB 76     Izumi Seiki Seisakujo. Inc.
JB 77     Koronbia Kogaku Co. Ltd.  – Columbia Kogaku Co.
JB 78     Kuribayashi Kogaku Seisakujo
JB 79     Furukawa Kogaku Seisakujo
JB 80 

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
--Thomas Jefferson

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic