OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Optics > Binoculars
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Good budget 16X binos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dagoden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good budget 16X binos
    Posted: February/21/2012 at 17:04
Hey everyone. New to the forum, this is my first post.

I am looking into getting a pair of 16x binoculars for hunting here in Arizona. I currently use my trusty Leupold 10x42 Acadias. They are great, but I'd like to get something with a larger fov/magnification. Yes, they will be mounted on a tripod. My brother uses Swaros, but I just can't spend that kind of money right now, although they are pretty spectacular. 

Any advice on some sub-$800 binos?

Thanks in advance! 
Bird Watcher View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/21/2012 at 19:31
dagoden View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dagoden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 07:50
These are definitely two of the models I'm looking at. competitor has the Minox for $699. Has anyone had any experience with the Nikons? 
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 09:05
Originally posted by dagoden dagoden wrote:

These are definitely two of the models I'm looking at. competitor has the Minox for $699. Has anyone had any experience with the Nikons? 

I owned the cheaper Nikon Action 16x50 for three months but I was using it for stargazing and the moon; I sold it because the optical coatings were not able to handle the bright light of the full moon and gave ghost images.

During the daytime it was excellent, aside from the fact that it requires a tripod or monopod for steady views. 
Hand holding 16x is possible from a sitting position, or with your back braced against a tree or a boulder.
The cheaper Action series are not waterproof/fogproof and they have lousy eye relief compared to the Action Extreme ATB models.

Stan

black crow View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 09:50

Hey everyone. New to the forum, this is my first post.

I am looking into getting a pair of 16x binoculars for hunting here in Arizona. I currently use my trusty Leupold 10x42 Acadias. They are great, but I'd like to get something with a larger fov/magnification. Yes, they will be mounted on a tripod. My brother uses Swaros, but I just can't spend that kind of money right now, although they are pretty spectacular. 

Any advice on some sub-$800 binos?

Thanks in advance! 

I would think it very hard  to get a larger FOV in 16x than you have in your 10x.
“The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself”
― Henry Miller
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 10:09
Originally posted by black crow black crow wrote:

I would think it very hard  to get a larger FOV in 16x than you have in your 10x.
Good catch!
That one slipped through the cracks.

As magnification is increased from 10x to 16x the FOV is decreased roughly from 6.5 * to 3.5*.
However, if you are talking about v e r y  l o n g distances, you will still appreciate the extra magnification.

Stan

Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 11:29
Unless tripod held or some other type of bracing used I can usually see more detail with lower powers.  Plus I'm a big fan of that nice expansive FOV.  Lower powers tend to be brighter also.   I think many people don't realize what a difference this can really make. 
“The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself”
― Henry Miller
dagoden View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dagoden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 12:28
Haha! Yeah, I guess I didn't really mean FOV, just extra magnification. They will be mounted on a tripod. Hunting out west means covering very large expanses. I think I'll give the Nikons a try. Thanks for the help!
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 12:38
You're welcome.
Come back and give us a report.

Edited by Bird Watcher - February/22/2012 at 12:48
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote black crow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 14:15

Haha! Yeah, I guess I didn't really mean FOV, just extra magnification. They will be mounted on a tripod. Hunting out west means covering very large expanses. I think I'll give the Nikons a try. Thanks for the help!

Have you considered a spotting scope? This would give you a lot of choice in magnification and since you are using a tripod anyway would not much more in weight than the Nikons.  I live in the west and often scan for elk off my back deck and a spotting scope really is nice. The view is about three miles away on a grassy mountainside. Even at 16x binoculars can't really give much detail. But at 50x I can really get a great look at them. 
― Henry Miller
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bird Watcher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 15:47
Originally posted by black crow black crow wrote:

Have you considered a spotting scope?
BINOCULAR VISION SUMMATION

dagoden View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dagoden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February/22/2012 at 15:59
Wow. Good stuff...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic