OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Light weight scopes - recommendations?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 23:27
Sparky, You make a good point about taking them outdoors.   It was raining the day I went, which may have been a good test.  One of the sales guys offered to walk me outside with the scopes so I could look them over.  They were slammed and I was not ready to pull the trigger that day so I felt I should not take up that much of his time.  That said, maybe I should have taken the zeiss, z3 and trij outside to  validate what I saw inside. 

B4213, good point which I am taking as figuring out what you need and separate it from what you want.  About 15 years ago I had a buddy who was local PD sniper.  His work gun had a bushnell sportview, think it was a 4-12 with a bdc in the elevation turret,  the kind you could buy from J&G for less than $100 at the time and he could shoot the eyes out a dime at 100 yards with that thing. Nobody here would recommend a sportview for this use, but it didnt seem to matter.   I try to keep in perspective that most of the scopes today will do their part, even the cheap ones, and if hold up your end they will not let you down.   No glass on earth can compensate for a massive flinch, inconsistent form or crappy ammo.  Probably better than 80% of  getting it done is the shooter, maybe 15% is the gun its tolerance for the ammo you shoot  and  less than 5% is the scope.   Says I need to practice more and fret about the scope less. 
3_tens View Drop Down
Optics Jedi Master
Optics Jedi Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 3_tens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/05/2012 at 23:56
The point you have missed is that 15 years ago there was still some ethics in most business. Today especially with the Chinese manufacturing  the object is more to separate you from your $ than to build a reliable product. Build a bad product and the buyer will have to replace it sooner. Sell 100 poorly constructed products rather than 10 good ones that will out last the 100. It makes more money if the company cuts cost and builds crap. They sell more. The Sportview was a somewhat reliable scope years ago. Back then if the product didn't meet the quality standard it would not hit the market.  Today crap is dumped on the market without ethics to recover the cost. With no regard to the poor smucks that get stuck with it.

Soap Box    Before I forget.. Welcome to the forum.
Folks ain't got a sense of humor no more. They don't laugh they just get sore.

Need to follow the rules. Just hard to determine which set of rules to follow
Now the rules have changed again.
tominct View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tominct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/06/2012 at 09:10
The chinese companies are learning very very fast.  Part of this is the intellectual capital transfer happening when  big companies build facilities and install state of art processes, so they are then bringing very good stuff out of china.  However, the chinese are not so big on intellectual capital protection so that knowledge starts showing up in knock offs.  China is very much a "buyer beware" territory - the new wild west of capitalism.  The other thing is that many companies can be building almost identical knock offs/ commodity product, at least this is true with plasma cutters.  Look the same, weigh the same, maybe even painted the same. However, some of them are significantly better than others.  I think this contributes to the hit or miss impression.  Since they are knock offs, there is no brand identity you can use to differentiate the good from the bad and if there were presumably those logos would be pirated.  I suppose that is where Multinationals come in.  They have the presence to make sure their products, good or bad, are meeting specification. You need to make sure it is a genuine "insert company name" chinese POC.

What worries me most is that US production in many items is almost extinct.  I had to buy tires last year.  Good luck finding US made tires.  The town fair guys here only had 1 brand, and it wasnt goodyear. Shoes.  Radios.  Socks. jeans.  STEEL.  How can imported steel make sense?  

It is a decision factor for me these days.  Its part of why  I have so many Leupolds - another good product.  The Trij accupoint is at least partly US. Glass and tube come from Japan, final assembly is US. Most Trijs are 100% US, but the accupoint isnt. 

RTA48 View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RTA48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/09/2012 at 21:40
I have owned Swaro products for more than 15 years, I have sent most all of my items in to SONA at least once for a maintance check. No cost just shipping, updated and cleaned up like new. What is that worth to you?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic