OpticsTalk by SWFA, Inc. Homepage SWFA     SampleList.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Scopes > Rifle Scopes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Visit the SWFA.com site to check out our current specials.

Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44
    Posted: March/12/2012 at 21:39
Just recieved my new Viper HS LR today. All I can say is "wow" about the feel, fit and finish. It appears to be a quality scope. Compared it next to a Leupold VX3 3-9x40 today and they seem on the same playing field. Not an expert here by any stretch, but they seemed very comparible to me. As they should, they're at about the same price point.

Now, my only hesitation about being totally excited to mount it on a rifle is the crosshair. I read a review once where they thought the cross hair was to light or fine for low light. They may not be wrong. The crosshairs are fine, however I was able to pick them out on a bare patch of dirt in a shelter belt at about 125 yds.

So my question is "does anyone have experience in the field with the Viper HS series in low light?"
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/12/2012 at 21:53
I haven't used the Viper. But, I don't believe the VX3 comes in a 3-9x40.
I contacted Vortex and they thought the BDC was not as good as the V-Plex, if low light performance was key. The 4-16x44 HS LR is a very nice package.
Doug
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2012 at 12:37
Ya, I think your right. I'm pretty sure it is a 3.5-10 or something similiar. Anyway, I looked at both scopes on  4 power.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/13/2012 at 23:20
Anybody have any thoughts on this?...... Anyone?
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/14/2012 at 23:29

Well, it feels like I'm talking to myself-but oh well.

I looked at the scope several times as light was fading tonight trying to assure myself that the .08 MOA crosshair won't be an issue. I don't think I was successful. All though I could probably make it work, I fell that the crosshair is just to thin to be picked up in low light. The picture through the scope is fantastic, but it is very hard to see the crosshair. I wish they would have an option to put the regular Viper stadia in this version.

As of right now I'm seriously contemplating contacting the supplier and seeing what it will take to send this back. As a target scope this wouldn't be an issue, but for hunting deer at dawn and dusk I think it will be. Now I kinda of wish I would have sent for the Sigthron SII Big Sky 4.5-14x44MD I had picked out.
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down
Optics Master Extraordinaire

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 07:49
mil469,

Thanks for the info.  I have looked often at the 4-16X50, and that thin reticle does concern me.  I will be giving the scope a shot anyway, and we will see how it goes.
-Matt
oldguy View Drop Down
Optics Apprentice
Optics Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 08:17
As a target shooter I love thin reticle but for hunting they simply don't work.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/15/2012 at 19:53
Ya, I guess sometimes we have to pay for our education. I looked at the specs for the Sightron Big Sky Mil Dot I was looking at and the reticle on that onn is .1 MOA at 100yds on 14x. So I guess that one wouldn't be much better than the Viper HS.

Now I'm looking at an SII Big Sky 4.5-14x42 with an adjustable objective and target turrets. I'm thinking of just staying with the duplex reticle and figuring out how the resetable turrets work when I'm messing around on the range.
bogey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 07:25
I used this scope this year and shot a couple deer with it at dusk.  I never had a problem with the reticle thickness.  Still when shooting it I seem to wish it was a little thicker.  Never noticed this when shooting deer so, I ask even my self is the thicker needed for hunting or do we just think it is?  I don't have an answer only that it worked fine for me and it was not a thought when actually taking the shot on game, it was easy to see.
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/16/2012 at 20:43
I would be curious as to what distance the deer were at, just for a reference.

Thanks
bogey View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 10:18
Actually both were close.  The WI buck was not much over 100 and The fading light and weather caused me more problems judging horn size then seeing the crosshairs.  The KS buck I glassed at a mile(no problem judging horns on him!) in the morning but moved to a good spot later and I first spotted him at like 150 and he let him walk into about 70.  It an LR scope but i would always prefer to shoot them close then far.  Like I said; when I look into the scope I seem to want a thicker reticle also.  I was just saying that in practical use it worked totally fine.  So I guess more time with it, will tell me more, but at this point it works.
bigdtd View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigdtd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 10:50
fyi they used to make a leupold vx3 in 3-9x40 i have one on my rem 700 300win mag, another great scope
Bitterroot Bulls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitterroot Bulls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 10:56
Originally posted by bigdtd bigdtd wrote:

fyi they used to make a leupold vx3 in 3-9x40 i have one on my rem 700 300win mag, another great scope
I believe that was a VX-III or Vari-X III.  The only VX3s in that mag range I saw were the 2.5-8 and 3.5-10
-Matt
tahqua View Drop Down
Have You Driven A Ford Lately?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tahqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/17/2012 at 11:15
Originally posted by Bitterroot Bulls Bitterroot Bulls wrote:

Originally posted by bigdtd bigdtd wrote:

I believe that was a VX-III or Vari-X III.  The only VX3s in that mag range I saw were the 2.5-8 and 3.5-10

My VariX-III's are the same powers as the V3's mentioned.
Doug
btate868 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btate868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 01:44
mil169, I know you said the crosshairs were to fine but over all how do you feel about the scope if you dont mind me asking? I almost just bought the Nikon M-308 when I realized its not even out yet so the next most comparable one was that one you got, which had real good reviews everywhere I looked. I wanted both turrets exposed but I can prob deal with just the elevation, if thats even the one you got. If the crosshairs are really that thin ill just wait for the Nikon, even though I dont want to.
JGRaider View Drop Down
Optics Master
Optics Master

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JGRaider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 08:29
Originally posted by oldguy oldguy wrote:

As a target shooter I love thin reticle but for hunting they simply don't work.

Admittedly my 51 year old eyes aren't what they used to be, but i still don't need glasses except to read small print.  I sold my S&B Summit for this exact reason.....the thin wires were much too thin for my use.  As good of glass as I've ever seen in a scope though, but if you can't see the reticle you're toast. 
mil169 View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mil169 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/22/2012 at 21:27

Absolutely everything elso about the Vortex Viper 4-16x44 HS LR 4-16, I liked. It was a little heavy, but it is a 30mm tube. If it hadn't been for the low light thing, I would have mounted it with out a second thought. I haven't looked through an abundance of scopes so the 80moa crosshairs were a surpise to me. I new what the dimension was before I ordered, but didn't realize how it would look.  I probably could have gotten by with it, but I wanted to be absolutely sure I could see a deer at 125yds and be able to see where to aim. From what I've figured out from a customer relation standpoint, Vortex is top notch. I have ordered a differant Viper, so hopefully I will not have to find out how they are if you actually have a problem. From what I've read it shouldn't be an issue.

My two cents is this, if you think you will like it, order it. If  you can't live with it when you get it, then send it back. All it will cost you is a little shipping. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an abundance of dealers to get a first look before we buy, so it's a chance we take. My second point is this, in this day and age their is no reason for sub par customer service. I've had good luck talking with Leupold, Sightron, and Vortex. These C.S departments are very good. I've spoken once with Bushnell, and the guy was alright, sounded helpful but wasn't. He didn't have access to a stadia dimension I wanted. Other than that I can't tell you how Bushnell or Nikon's C.S is. But there are plenty of posts on them. Most read that they are getting better-meaning there is room for improvement. To me, the backing of a scope is almost more important than the scope itself.

Sorry this got long winded.
btate868 View Drop Down
Optics GrassHopper
Optics GrassHopper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote btate868 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 00:45
I appreciate the reply trust me. I may still get this scope iv heard good things and you liked it also. Having target turrets, at least the elevation like on this model, is pretty much a must. I may wait a few more weeks and see if the M-308 becomes available on competitor  and it not go with this one. btw Nikons CS, from my experience which was only twice, was very good. It was the first time in awhile that I got off the phone and said to myself wow that guy answered every single question I had. I asked a ton of questions to. Each rep im sure hasnt had any real hands on with most of their products im sure but they sounded like it to me.

Please read and follow the rules you are required to acknowledge when you become a member of the Optics Talk Forum. 

Edited by Kickboxer - March/23/2012 at 07:50
SVT_Tactical View Drop Down
Chief Sackscratch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SVT_Tactical Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 07:22
Nikon M-308 Riflescopes

110% Low Price Guarantee

If you find a lower price at any competitor's store on a new identical item just show us the lower price when you buy the item at SWFA or within 10 days after your SWFA purchase and we'll give you 110% of the difference.

Our 10-day price-match guarantee is good on everything from optics to accessories. The item must be in stock and available for purchase at that price from a company (excluding wholesale or membership clubs) with a physical store location in the U.S. who is authorized by the manufacturer to sell the product.

• Item must be identical: For example, it must have the same U.S. manufacturer's warranty. It must also have the same model number and contain the same components.
  • Price Verification: SWFA reserves the right to verify another company's product availability and price before issuing a price match guarantee. Computer screenshots is not acceptable as proof of a competitor's price - the lower price must be accurate and live on a competitor's site at the time of the price-match.
  • Other Discounts: Available coupons and rebates will be deducted from the SWFA price to come up with a new SWFA price when calculating the price match. For example, if you buy an item from us for $100 and we offer a $10 rebate, the net price is $90. If the item is available from another company for $90 or more, there will be no price match. Another example would be if you buy an item from us for $139 and you have a $30 coupon; the net price is $109. If the item is available from another company for $105 the price match will be for $4.40 (110% of the difference).
  • Shipping and Handling: These charges are included when comparing our price to another company's delivery price, the equivalent shipping and handling charges will be included. If proof of the other company's shipping and handling charges are not supplied, then our standard shipping and handling charges will be added to the other company's price. For example, if you buy an item from us for $100, with $10 shipping and handling, and the item is available from another company for $90 with shipping and handling charges of $7, then the difference is $13. You would receive 110% of $13, which is $14.30.
  • Special Offers: If another company offers a product that comes with a free or discounted item and SWFA does not carry the free or discounted item, there will be no price match. For example, if another company offers a free product with the purchase of a scope, and the SWFA price is equal to the company's price for the scope, there will be no price match if SWFA does not carry the free product being offered.
  • Quantity Limits: We may limit the quantity of an item that may be price-matched. For example, if the other company limits the number you may buy, we may also limit the number. In addition, SWFA reserves the right to limit quantities sold to a customer.
  • Exclusions: We don't price match products provided or sold at local or special events (e.g., gun shows, grand opening, anniversary, clearance or liquidation sales), items sold at wholesale/membership clubs (e.g., Sam's, Costco), products sold on Internet auction sites (eBay, GunsAmerica, etc.) or products sold by distributors or wholesalers (e.g., RSR, Davidson's, companies that sell to dealers only). We also don't price match taxes, typographical errors or any item or price that includes a rebate.

http://swfa.com/About.aspx

"Most folks are about as happy as they make their minds up to be" - Abraham Lincoln
cpwomack View Drop Down
Optics Journeyman
Optics Journeyman

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cpwomack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March/23/2012 at 09:10
You may want to look through a Nikon with their BDC reticle if you haven't yet.  I tried one and couldn't stand the little circles.  Another thing, I have owned three Monarchs, a 2.5-10, a 3-12 and a 2-8 and have two Vortex Vipers, both 2-7's.  I traded in two of the Monarchs, kept the 2-8. To my eyes they Vipers have better glass, so if you can look through both.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic